Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primer dilemma

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I have a VERY small circle of close friends to whom I would gift primers, if I had any, and they reloaded. You can count those folks on one hand, and have plenty of fingers left over. Everyone else can suck it - if you couldn't be bother to plan ahead to keep an emergency stash on hand, you reap what you didn't sew, IMHO.

With primers selling out at $300-400/1K now, there's no way to set a "fair" price. Don't waste your time and emotional energy worrying about those who didn't plan ahead. And I'm saying this as a guy who has a VERY small stash of primers left over, and wishes he'd bought a bunch more two years ago...
    Exactly this, even the same number of people who I would supply with primers right now (if they reloaded) and it would be as a gift because nobody knows or cares who owes who what because we don’t do stuff for each other and then keep a tally of “favors or debts”.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 03-04-2021 at 09:01 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

It might have been post-Sandy Hook, a local acquaintance (met thru Tactical Forums) sold me several FAL mags for a *very* reasonable price. IÂ’ve never forgotten that and that transaction absolutely solidified his place on the good guy list. For whatever that is worth. Some folks might appreciate things.

Site Supporter
    I suggest inviting friends in need to shoot your loaded ammo. I gave two friends presses recently. Both sold them. I am giving another friend a new Dillon Square Deal that was promised before this mess began. I will tell him to sell it if he wishes. Because of health issues I had been giving certain guns and reloading equipment away. After I ship the Dillon, I'm through except for s couple things. A kind member here gave me a holster. Another gave me two Lee decappers. I had intended to send them brass as gifts. I can't move well enough to find it so I will send them money not asked for. I owe LL site supporter money and will trade him primed brass when I get around to it whether or not he wants it. I wish the big dude with the hound dog in the picture would take up bullet casting because I want to give him a lot of shit that I have. I would give him a butt load of same head stamp 45 Auto brass if he would pay the freight.

Never imagined this ammunition conundrum as it exists. A forum member posted information on the Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Reloading Press the simplicity and straight forward design as a beginner interested me enough to order it. Sourcing everything to load 38 target ammo appeared simple at first everything was coming together nicely. Stopping by the LGS looking SPP became a hunt in its self with no luck. Refusing to pay current prices online will just sit tight and wait for conditions and supply to normalize. Greatly appreciate the P-F member who was willing to source me some from their inventory but as others have mentioned I felt somewhat awkward about receiving a pot of gold. This will all pass soon enough lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Keep what you have. We have no idea when inventory will return. Your friends lack of foresight is not your problem. I've cut my training in half in order to stretch my supplies and still maintain my skill set. With my current inventory I can maintain that for about two years if necessary. I won't compromise that because friends didn't plan ahead.
    This ^^^^^^ exactly...Last year about this time, I figured something like this just might happen, and Trump just might not win the election, so when my tax return came in last year, I stocked up on primers, powder, bullets. This has really, really, payed off.. Under Trump, we had 4 years to get ready, stock up, buy what firearms you thought you might need/want. As Trooper said, your friends lack of foresight is not your problem. Maybe this will serve as a wake up call for them. It'll be a hard lesson for them to learn, but, It'll be one that they won't forget...

Appreciate the feedback so far. I haven't sold off any reloading supplies, and at this point will likely hold onto what I've got.

I did scrounge up some odds and ends (calibers I no longer own or shoot, trade accumulations, etc) and made out pretty decent at the local shop. Turned about $100 into $650 all said and done.

Owner mentioned he would pay top dollar for primers, so that sounds tempting.

I had originally considered selling off some 5.56, but with recent events I decided that was not wise.

Already turned some of the cash into a nice rangefinder, and a set of tires. Didn't necessarily need the money, but the ammo was not doing me any good. Best let someone else make use of it.
    Taking a break from social media.

They should have planned better - it is like Aesop' fable like the grasshopper - if past historical experience has not taught firearms owners to plan - well that is on them.

MIL in town

Mother in law is in town for the week. Took some time and did a bit of reloading....

They play cards, I produce ammo....

Name:  20210401_203704.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  28.2 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List