Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman Videos Armed Confrontation But All Not What It Seems

Woman Videos Armed Confrontation But All Not What It Seems

Woman Records Armed Confrontation, Shouts At Man to Put Down Gun

Saw this in the local news. Woman looks out her window, sees an armed standoff and does the only reasonable thing anyone would do--grabs her phone and starts filming despite being "completely traumatized." Shouts at gun guy to put it down, tells media she was sure this was racially motivated violence. Two participants de-escalate (video included in story).

Cops follow up, turns out the "victim" has been approaching people walking their dogs and threatening to kill them and the dogs. Cops say gun guy is probably justified. Kudos to cops and media for following up on this angle.

It seems like gun guy handled this OK but reinforces that you need to be controlling the narrative onsite and afterward. What if this was the first time, not the second or third time, the wack job had threatened a dogwalker? Now you're on video pointing a gun at someone while the eyewitness is convinced you're the one in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Woman Records Armed Confrontation, Shouts At Man to Put Down Gun

Saw this in the local news. Woman looks out her window, sees an armed standoff and does the only reasonable thing anyone would do--grabs her phone and starts filming despite being "completely traumatized." Shouts at gun guy to put it down, tells media she was sure this was racially motivated violence. Two participants de-escalate (video included in story).

Cops follow up, turns out the "victim" has been approaching people walking their dogs and threatening to kill them and the dogs. Cops say gun guy is probably justified. Kudos to cops and media for following up on this angle.

It seems like gun guy handled this OK but reinforces that you need to be controlling the narrative onsite and afterward. What if this was the first time, not the second or third time, the wack job had threatened a dogwalker? Now you're on video pointing a gun at someone while the eyewitness is convinced you're the one in the wrong.
    Nobody can "control the narrative." You can only influence it after the fact. Witnesses sell their stories and the media resells them, fanning whichever flame they think will pay the most.

Problem One--the conflict--is called that because it comes first. Then you can solve Problem Two, the aftermath.

This guy probably didn't know this woman was inside recording. Even if he was aware of her, she was not the immediate threat so focusing on her would be a very bad idea. He kept his focus on the person who WAS the immediate threat.

Focusing on anything else can make both problems far worse and undermine any claim that you were defending yourself.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Another attention seeking, media hugging virtue signaler who must be even more depressed than usual to find that her perception (surprise!) was skewed (yet again).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Another attention seeking, media hugging virtue signaler who must be even more depressed than usual to find that her perception (surprise!) was skewed (yet again).
    Oh it's Karen this,
    And Karen that,
    And Karen 'ows your soul,
    But it's God bless you for the media rights,
    When the film begins to roll...

:-P

Nobody can "control the narrative." You can only influence it after the fact. Witnesses sell their stories and the media resells them, fanning whichever flame they think will pay the most.

Problem One--the conflict--is called that because it comes first. Then you can solve Problem Two, the aftermath.

This guy probably didn't know this woman was inside recording. Even if he was aware of her, she was not the immediate threat so focusing on her would be a very bad idea. He kept his focus on the person who WAS the immediate threat.

Focusing on anything else can make both problems far worse and undermine any claim that you were defending yourself.
    Good points. "Control" is the wrong word. Maybe, "heightened awareness" of what's being said and how you're perceived? "Your word against his" becomes "your word against his and hers and his" when we're surrounded by cameras and people with preconceived notions.
    Last edited by MK11; 03-03-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Oh it's Karen this,
    And Karen that,

Thank you, Rudyard. Big fan.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Hammertime
    Oh it's Karen this,
    And Karen that,

Brilliant!

Oh it's Karen this,
    And Karen that,

I larfed, an' clapped. Tommy and Lex sees...
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Good points. "Control" is the wrong word. Maybe, "heightened awareness" of what's being said and how you're perceived? "Your word against his" becomes "your word against his and hers and his" when we're surrounded by cameras and people with preconceived notions.
    Obliquely related: When I was doing EMT stuff we had deescalation training. In a lot of the videos the aggression level seemed obvious — a responder would step into the scene doing the bantam strut and you’d immediately think “This isn’t going to go well.....”

We were told “try to act so that it’s obvious to someone across the street that you’re trying to calm things down.” This for two reasons: for any cameras or observers, but also because the subject may have altered perception and big gestures may be needed.

For us that meant using big empty hands, calm down, I’m-no-threat gestures, or taking a knee if you could do so safely. It’s obviously different if things have deteriorated to guns drawn.

Site Supporter
    Oh it's Karen this,
    And Karen that,

I'm not familiar with the exact poem, but I could tell it was Kipling from the rhythm. Well done.

Edit: figured out which poem! (it's "Tommy" for anyone else that had my troubles)
    Last edited by Bio; 03-04-2021 at 08:16 AM.

User Tag List