Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought a rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    PM me your address and I’ll send you the sling you need.

Okie John

Nice

Im not a fan of galco leather as a general rule.

I do like good leather shooting slings. The 1907 style is dated but I like them. I think mine is from brownells but Im unsure of the manufacturer.

Leather does stretch when wet but depending on the weather and my layers its not a huge issue for me.

Name:  KIMG1495_JPG-1162009.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  58.4 KB

Looking good! I think the gal I one I mentioned is nylon or cordura or something. Has a loop in the middle to put your arm through for tensioning while shooting offhand. Had no idea if it was good but saw it in a thread recently.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I called Bergara and they suggest .308 win- 168 Federal Gold Medal Match, 175 gr. Federal Gold Medal Match, Berger 175 gr OTM for the best accuracy.
    FGMM is the default standard for accurate factory ammo. Basically, if your rifle won't shoot it reasonably well, take it to a smith to figure out what's wrong with it. A reloader skilled at working up loads to match a rifle will often be able to come up with something incrementally better, and some rifles might prefer some other factory loads a little better.

On the other hand, I wouldn't expect to find it under $2.00/rd these days, if you can find any at all. Might take six months to find any. All of mine was bought for <$1.00/rd. The magic of reloading shows up with rifle much more than pistol. Example: I also have 1000 Sierra HPBT 175gr bullets I bought for $200 at a swap meet in the reloading shop's parking lot.

The Sierra BTHP bullets used in FGMM are like a box of chocolates on game. They are NOT engineered to expand reliably and in a controlled manner. Lots of people use them and report good results. Lots of people use them and report regrettable results with the bullets either penciling through or blowing up and failing to penetrate. Bottom line, for bullets in meat, use bullets meant for meat.

Also, you might enjoy going down the rabbit hole at 24HourCampfire. It's a different culture than here, but it's basically all about putting bullets in meat. They actually do it, rather than training to be as competent as possible at it while hoping and working to ensure they never do.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It's a different culture than here, but it's basically all about putting bullets in meat. They actually do it, rather than training to be as competent as possible at it while hoping and working to ensure they never do.
    This is a hilarious description of 24hourcampfire.com.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Has a loop in the middle to put your arm through for tensioning while shooting offhand.
    Don't bother. Read https://www.amazon.com/Art-Rifle-Jef.../dp/1581605927 instead.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

In my custom Remington 700 .308 with a Bartlein 5R 1:10 twist barrel, Federal 180 grain fusion is the most accurate factory load. Great terminal ballistics too, you may want to give it a try.

Site Supporter
    Check out StrelokPro to understand how your reticle/ammo work at various distances, winds, etc..

Congrats on the new rifle. FGMM and Fusion are good, and I have heard really good things about Remington Core Lokt ammo.

Don't rule out reloading. You can do some really fun stuff when making your own. Cost savings can be substantial if you start shooting rifle on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Check out StrelokPro to understand how your reticle/ammo work at various distances, winds, etc..
    Good suggestion. They also have a free version to try before you buy.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Also, you might enjoy going down the rabbit hole at 24HourCampfire. It's a different culture than here, but it's basically all about putting bullets in meat. They actually do it, rather than training to be as competent as possible at it while hoping and working to ensure they never do.
    I expect some blow back from that one.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Congratulations! May you both put much venison in the freezer and antlers on the wall together.

1) My advice is to get someone who has done it before to show you how to mount the scope on the rifle.

2) Get a good one piece rod and clean the bore before you shoot it. Initial break in cleaning regimens run the gamut from “Run a bore snake thru it and go shooting!” to “Clean the bore after every single shot for the first 20 rounds, then after every five for the next hundred”. Common sense and your patience level are somewhere in between.

3) I’d third the recommendation to try Federal 168gr GMM because it shoots better than just about anything in almost everything. Just remember that it’s not a hunting round and the hunting load you choose will probably shoot to a different point of impact. The gun may also need to “settle in” as you shoot it, remember to take screw drivers and wrenches appropriate to every bolt on the rifle when you go to the range and periodically check everything for tightness until you’re confident in the gun.

4) Also remember that “Zero” is really just a snapshot of the gun, load, weather, altitude and how much caffeine you had that day. If you shoot 1/4” groups dead center of the target one day don’t expect to pull it out of the case next month and duplicate that performance cold. But also remember that it doesn’t take 1/4” groups to kill deer.

5) If possible get the gun zeroed then get off the bench. Shooting steel or other reactive targets from field positions is probably the best way to become a rifleman short of taking a class or joining the Marines.
    Perfect.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List