Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: So I bought a rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    How many rounds did you fire?

Okie John
    About 40

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Just buying a nice rifle does not make you a rifleman. Shooting it and learning about the art does.

“ 1” sucks for this rifle and most ppl here but it’s great for me. I imagine as I keep doing this things will improve.”
    You left out the third leg of that stool. The ammunition may not be sub-MOA in your rifle. As you learn what the rifle likes your knowledge base will increase along with your skills.

It’s great that you have a range with steel targets. IMHO Once you get zero’d the best thing you can do is get off the bench and ring steel from different positions and different ranges. That kind of exercise will make you a better shooter.
    You’re absolutely right and point taken. I’m excited to start the journey and want to ingest as much info as I can.

The range just got 3 pieces of steel at the 100yd mark. There’s a ton more elsewhere but it’s reserved for competitions. Perhaps I should start acquiring some.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Like the guy in the boat says...”Jist choot it!” Lol

So...whatever you did to get that 1” group? Just keep doing that.

Seriously, sit and literally take notes on what you did and how you did it. Next time you’ll have a reference. Consistency is the key to accuracy. Proper consistency that is. How you sit at the bench, how much pressure you seat the stock in the shoulder pocket, the position of your cheek on the stock...it has to be consistent. For me, the thing that makes the biggest difference with any rifle is cheek weld. When you shoulder the gun (no matter what position...bench, prone, etc) your eyes should automatically fall into that “sweet spot” where ther is no need to adjust your neck. Close your eyes and shoulder the stock. Open your eyes. If you have to shift your noggin around...you need to fix that. They make foam risers of various thicknesses for sale on Amazon. Use that and a roll of vet tape (like 2 bucks at a farm store) to experiment a bit. Look for “Tourbon foam EVA cheek pad”

Looks like your on the way. Hearing that steel ding is addictive isn’t it????

Try to resist the urge of tossing a bunch of cash at it. You have a great rifle and great glass. You just need to work with what you got and tweak it a bit.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Can anyone suggest a good quality sling that’s good for hunting carry and off hand shooting? Preferably not leather. Mine snapped. Is the Magpul one good? Quality attachments as well to attach to my sling studs.

Thank you Entropy!

The turner biothane GP sling is another I noticed

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    About 40
    That's a lot of shooting for your first time out, even with a 308.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    That's a lot of shooting for your first time out, even with a 308.

Okie John
    I was determined to have some sort of success. What should be a target amount of rounds for a 308 bolt gun session typically?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I was determined to have some sort of success. What should be a target amount of rounds for a 308 bolt gun session typically?
    It depends on the shooter and the rifle. A seasoned Palma shooter with a 13-pound rifle can probably go 100 rounds in a day, but he'll likely feel some precision slipping away by the last couple of strings. The same guy might only be good for less than half of that with a lightweight hunting rifle.

For a relatively new shooter with a hunting rifle and full-power loads, 20 is plenty. You can perfect some very bad habits by shooting too much at once.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Noted. Thank you John.

User Tag List