Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought a rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    How’s the Galco Riflemann sling?
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Don't bother. Read https://www.amazon.com/Art-Rifle-Jef.../dp/1581605927 instead.

Okie John
    Actually .... the Riflemann sling was designed by Richard Mann, author of "the scout rifle study". It is an excellent choice in my opinion. very nice blending of the need for a sling to carry well AND function as a shooting sling.

right now I use either the Riflemann sling or one of Andy's leather slings. Slings like the military 1907, while excellent shooting slings and function as an ok carry sling, often do not match up to a bolt action sporting rifle very well. experiences may vary.

Anyway, the Riflemann sling would complement the Art of the rifle quite nicely...and speaking of the art of the rifle. I agree, excellent book. however, check the gunsite proshop for a copy, don't pay the ridiculous prices off the used market on Amazon. though the kindle price is reasonable. Gunsite has been getting in copies from somewhere and not charging super inflated pricing. Looks like they still have some.

If you poke around Richard's Youtube channel you can find a couple videos explaining the sling.

In my opinion the current crop of laser boresighters are worth it, especially as cheap as they're getting. As others have posted they're not necessary, but they do make things easier and with current ammo prices and availability they don't have to save you many rounds over a few zero's to pay for themselves rather quickly.

If you're hunting with it remember dry fire reps aren't just for pistols. Being able to get into a stable position when you're winded or just being familiar with bringing it up quick for a jump shot can be the difference between success and failure. Shooting off a bench for groups won't give you that and depending on your location it can be tough to find a range that will allow that, but dry fire works anywhere.

Some damn good stuff here. Almost overwhelmed.

I’m trying to memorize and write all this into a note on my phone. So much good stuff guys thank you.

I don’t think I e been this excited to shoot in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    In my opinion the current crop of laser boresighters are worth it, especially as cheap as they're getting. As others have posted they're not necessary, but they do make things easier and with current ammo prices and availability they don't have to save you many rounds over a few zero's to pay for themselves rather quickly.

If you're hunting with it remember dry fire reps aren't just for pistols. Being able to get into a stable position when you're winded or just being familiar with bringing it up quick for a jump shot can be the difference between success and failure. Shooting off a bench for groups won't give you that and depending on your location it can be tough to find a range that will allow that, but dry fire works anywhere.
    You can buy a laser bore sight if you want. They're real handy for an AR or some other auto loader. I had one hell of a time getting my Ruger Mini sighted in. Believe me, you don't need one with a bolt rifle. I've bore sighted at least 5 rifles without one and I got the rifle to 3 MOA without one in less than 10 rds. My neighbor bought a Tikka .308 and I had him there with 10 rounds. 5 bucks in pre covid times. I guess it depends on who is doing the zero.

Take the rifle to a range and ask the RO for some help. They have old Marines wondering around with time on their hands. They like the social interaction unless you have long hair and a stud in your nose.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-03-2021 at 09:27 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    You can buy a laser bore sight if you want. They're real handy for an AR or some other auto loader. I had one hell of a time getting my Ruger Mini sighted in. Believe me, you don't need one with a bolt rifle. I've bore sighted at least 5 rifles without one and I got the rifle to 3 MOA without one in less than 10 rds. My neighbor bought a Tikka .308 and I had him there with 10 rounds. 5 bucks in pre covid times. I guess it depends on who is doing the zero.

Take the rifle to a range and ask the RO for some help. They have old Marines wondering around with time on their hands. They like the social interaction unless you have a long hair.
    Sure, you don't need one, but they've come a long way in quality and price and for the 12 bucks I think I paid for the last one I got it's worth it to me. It's worth knowing how to do it the old way because for 12 bucks you can't exactly get excited if it breaks, but I don't see any advantage in it other than not having to find the thing.

https://www.6mmbr.com/308win.html

Some really good info on 308 factory loads and reloading for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Sure, you don't need one, but they've come a long way in quality and price and for the 12 bucks I think I paid for the last one I got it's worth it to me. It's worth knowing how to do it the old way because for 12 bucks you can't exactly get excited if it breaks, but I don't see any advantage in it other than not having to find the thing.

I like the Bushcraft skills but it isn't for everyone.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Thank you Borderland! Should my impact at 50 yards be a certain distance above my point of aim to be even closer to dead on when I go to 100 or no?
    Just adding to what Borderland said: If that shot at 50 is anywhere around one - two inches lower than my point of aim, it’s perfectly acceptable. Then I’ll take it back to 100 and dial it in.

There’s a lot of YouTube vids that detail all this stuff. Ridgeline defense is the latest I’ve watched and has a whole series dedicated to rifle setup. More towards the precision game though. I’ll look around and find some with more detail.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aDsmYEJ5ZOU

Ryan Cleckner also has a bunch of basic info on NSSF channel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aDrrJA14wtg

There’s a bunch more, and better, so if you have specific questions, let me know and I’ll find the ones that have worked the best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Just adding to what Borderland said: If that shot at 50 is anywhere around one - two inches lower than my point of aim, it’s perfectly acceptable. Then I’ll take it back to 100 and dial it in.

There’s a lot of YouTube vids that detail all this stuff. Ridgeline defense is the latest I’ve watched and has a whole series dedicated to rifle setup. More towards the precision game though. I’ll look around and find some with more detail.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aDsmYEJ5ZOU

Ryan Cleckner also has a bunch of basic info on NSSF channel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aDrrJA14wtg

There’s a bunch more, and better, so if you have specific questions, let me know and I’ll find the ones that have worked the best for me.
    Great stuff!!!! I’ll check these out today!

As an additional thought, you might want to get a notebook and keep it with the rifle. Something small and pocket sized, also use pencil as it doesn’t run when wet.

It’s nice to log each session to keep notes on what worked and what didn’t, whether the rounds hit at a different point of impact as the temperature/wind/altitude changes, and how cleaning or lack there of affected accuracy. If you know Brand X 123gr loads hit 8 clicks high and 4 clicks right of Brand Y 124gr ammo it can save you time and ammo if you are switching between the two. Total round count can be handy too.

Nothing as dedicated as a true sniper’s logbook but just some documentation to aid your memory.

User Tag List