Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought a rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Now that you have a rifle, become a rifleman.

https://appleseedinfo.org/
    And a LocTite user: https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-13307...a-450334374168

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

You’re the man! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’ve got some blue at my house thankfully.

Congratulations! May you both put much venison in the freezer and antlers on the wall together.

1) My advice is to get someone who has done it before to show you how to mount the scope on the rifle.

2) Get a good one piece rod and clean the bore before you shoot it. Initial break in cleaning regimens run the gamut from “Run a bore snake thru it and go shooting!” to “Clean the bore after every single shot for the first 20 rounds, then after every five for the next hundred”. Common sense and your patience level are somewhere in between.

3) I’d third the recommendation to try Federal 168gr GMM because it shoots better than just about anything in almost everything. Just remember that it’s not a hunting round and the hunting load you choose will probably shoot to a different point of impact. The gun may also need to “settle in” as you shoot it, remember to take screw drivers and wrenches appropriate to every bolt on the rifle when you go to the range and periodically check everything for tightness until you’re confident in the gun.

4) Also remember that “Zero” is really just a snapshot of the gun, load, weather, altitude and how much caffeine you had that day. If you shoot 1/4” groups dead center of the target one day don’t expect to pull it out of the case next month and duplicate that performance cold. But also remember that it doesn’t take 1/4” groups to kill deer.

5) If possible get the gun zeroed then get off the bench. Shooting steel or other reactive targets from field positions is probably the best way to become a rifleman short of taking a class or joining the Marines.

Can't say enough good things about Appleseed.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Iirc you dont reload. In which case just buy any soft point ammo for hunting, im sure your rifle will shoot it well enough to shoot a deer, bear, or coyote inside 300 yards without much fuss. If you're able to buy a case of 1 kind that your rifle shoots ok then grab it.

Do you plan on using a sling as a way to carry the rifle or shoot the rifle?

I do intend to get a sling which was one of my next questions.

How’s the Galco Riflemann sling?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    How’s the Galco Riflemann sling?
    PM me your address and I’ll send you the sling you need.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Nice looking rifle, enjoy. I am reloading for 308 now, but in the past have had good results with Hornady 155 gr. A-MAX #8095PM . Note this is match (target) ammunition, but they also have hunting ammunition. When we chronographed a number of different loads the Hornady was very consistent; I can't recall if we had any Federal GMM to compare it with, the GMM can be very hard to find at times.

User Tag List