Thread: So I bought a rifle...

Some more items

Nice rifle!

You might also consider:
    1. Shooting mat
    2. Spotting scope
    3. Bore guide
    3. Bipod (maybe)

The shooting mat is good if you're planning to do a lot of work from prone -- laying on concrete or gravel at a rifle range isn't that much fun after a while. Doubly so if you're slung up tight.
    You can use a hikers sleeping mat, but in my experience those tend to roll up and be awkward when using with a rifle. Something like this is pretty cheap but still gets the job done: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019881885

The spotting scope is useful when you are zeroing the gun -- you can set it up on a tripod right next to you and check out how you're grouping. Plenty on Amazon for around $100.00, should be good out to 100 yards or so. Obviously with optics, the sky's really the limit.

Bore guide is something I think is very important, it keeps the cleaning rod centered and helps protects the bore from scratches when you are cleaning the rifle. Something like this:
    https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod25927.aspx

The bipod I'll call as a "maybe" -- you can probably use a ruck or some sandbags as a rest for the rifle when you are zeroing it/learning to shoot. The bipod is useful though when you are cleaning the rifle or installing the scope and want a way to keep it upright, or to put it down while in the field without getting the rifle too dirty. Harris makes a nice one from what I've seen, though, it is extra weight which you might not want.

Hope your scope mounting is going well!

All things I’d love to buy soon. I agree on all accounts.

Hope this isn’t a problem but, my scopes power ring is maybe 1-2 widths of paper away from my rear base. It never touches though.
    Last edited by newyork; 03-06-2021 at 06:26 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That's 6-8 thousandths, if you're measuring paper accurately. Should be enough. You can probably safely shave the scope base a little if it is ever a problem.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearning View Post
    Nice rifle!

You might also consider:
    1. Shooting mat
    2. Spotting scope
    3. Bore guide
    3. Bipod (maybe)
    Those are great suggestions.

The shooting mat also works for positions other than prone. Unless your hunting plans are limited to an elevated hunting blind with propane heat, a swivel chair and refrigerator. “Hunting positions” frequently include shooting with your butt or knee on the ground and a mat helps with those at the range.

A spotting scope will save you a lot of steps down range AND if you ever travel to the great wide open to hunt it may be more important than your rifle.

I have a bore guide, somewhere... They are a good way to save wear on your barrel, I’ve quit using them as I’ve gotten old and slowed down.

I’m ambivalent about a bipod on a deer rifle, I’m more likely to use shooting sticks if hunting from a fixed position or a handy tree trunk when stalking. A bipod “may” change your point of impact and it wouldn’t hurt to know if it does should the occasion arise where you try shooting game with one at a future date.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That's 6-8 thousandths, if you're measuring paper accurately. Should be enough. You can probably safely shave the scope base a little if it is ever a problem.
    Well I was wrong. A piece of computer printer paper is too thick to fit between the base and power ring. That’s damn close. So, I better move it back. It’s not enough to matter. Maybe 2mm. The process was annoying but I can do parts of it again faster than the whole

She’s now set up better. Skid scope back a little. Turns out I needed to for eye relief on 10 power anyway. Re leveled like a dozen times and tightened down. Feels great. Looks great through the optic when shouldering.

Now to get a mat, good cleaning supplies and some more ammo and the sling Okie John was super kind to send me.

Here she is as she stands (sun shade is for the hell of it)

Name:  C10F8032-D308-4552-8A22-8808E217EBDB.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  87.8 KB

This came today! Thanks so much @PaulD !Name:  BF560DA9-A7C4-4BE5-B717-F47974489A8F.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  37.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    This came today! Thanks so much @PaulD !Name:  BF560DA9-A7C4-4BE5-B717-F47974489A8F.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  37.2 KB
    @PaulD is good people.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I disappeared for a bit as other things in life rose to the top of the pot. I just saw this thread this morning. Congrats on the new stick. It will serve you well. I cut my teeth on serious rifle shooting with the .308. While every gun is different, I have tons of data and other info gathered over the years (when things were cheaper and easier to obtain). I’ll go back thru this entire thread, but in the meantime let me know where you’re looking to go with this. The .308 is one of the most versatile rounds out there. Drop a buck a 250yds one day, ding steel at 1000 the next. It will do it all.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I was in the Gun Library at Cabela’s today and they had a similar Bergara in .30-06. It looks like a very nice rifle and that “SoftTouch” stock is pretty cool. I’m curious what it will feel like on a 25° morning in the deer stand. I’m thinking that it will be better than normal synthetic stocks and maybe as good as wood.
    I feel it is an improvement over standard synthetics when cold. It's not quite as noticeable of a difference as the Hogue over-molded stocks, but pretty close. In October 2019 I was on top of a mesa glassing for deer when a freezing drizzle blew in. The temps dropped rapidly and even the dirt got slick in places. My B14 Ridge was coated with ice, yet the stock was still grippy. Took this pic when I got back to the truck and was about to case the rifle for the drive home.

Name:  IMG_2486.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  97.6 KB

User Tag List