Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought a rifle...

So I bought a rifle...

Bergara Wilderness
    Vortex razor 2-10
    Talley low one piece

Anything I need to know setting her up and sighting her in?
    Becoming successful shooting good groups?
    Certain good loads to shoot at the range?
    Good loads for deer?
    Sling?
    Proper cleaning and maintenance?

Anything else that comes to mind that is crucial?

I’ll be zeroing at 100, is there a shorter distance I can get a rough zero at and then fine tune at 100?

Congrats. Thinking it is the rifle you mention in the other thread #166. Let the Big Buck Fever begin! Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    Congrats. Thinking it is the rifle you mention in the other thread #166. Let the Big Buck Fever begin! Happy hunting.
    Thank you!!
    This one
    https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles...-hunter-rifle/

I failed to mention the gun is in .308 and I am not a reloaded so I’d be looking for factory loadings.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I failed to mention the gun is in .308 and I am not a reloaded so I’d be looking for factory loadings.
    Others know more about factory ammo (and rifles...) but seek out some ammo with good bullets, they make the most difference.

I believe Federal Gold Medal Match is loaded with their nice primers and Sierra Matchking bullets.

But get what you can get, nothing is going to be terrible with 308.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Good choice. That should serve you well for many years.

Sighting in can be started at 50 yards. Here's my method, no fancy bore sighters needed. All they can do is get you on paper anyway.

1. Remove the bolt from your rifle.
    2. Sight down the bore at your target. Bipod or bag is helpful here. You can't move the rifle during this operation.
    3. Look at the target using the scope.
    4. Adjust the scope to the target. Instructions should tell you how far one turret click changes POA.
    5. Repeat until you're satisfied that bore and scope are in alignment. Doesn't have to be perfect for the first shot but you should be on paper at 50 yds.

I think most scopes are 1/4 MOA per click so that's roughly 1/4" at 100 yds. or 1/8" at 50 yds. but check your manual.

6. Replace bolt and take a shot. Then start moving turrets again to fine tune POA after each shot.
    7. Once you have the POA/POI on at 50 yds move out 100 and fine tune POA/POI again.

Happy hunting and congratulations on a new rifle.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-03-2021 at 08:53 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Thank you Borderland! Should my impact at 50 yards be a certain distance above my point of aim to be even closer to dead on when I go to 100 or no?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Thank you Borderland! Should my impact at 50 yards be a certain distance above my point of aim to be even closer to dead on when I go to 100 or no?
    About 1/2" high at 50 yds will get you in the ballpark at 100 yds. A lot depends on the ammo and bullet weight.

Or

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/s....html#Index:12
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-03-2021 at 10:35 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Thank you!

I called Bergara and they suggest .308 win- 168 Federal Gold Medal Match, 175 gr. Federal Gold Medal Match, Berger 175 gr OTM for the best accuracy.

There’s break in info there too.

Now that you have a rifle, become a rifleman.

https://appleseedinfo.org/

User Tag List