Thread: Meprolight and other night sight options

Site Supporter

Meprolight and other night sight options

I will soon need to replace the night sights on my Kimber 1911, but the Trijicon Bright and Tough sights I have used for a long time are no longer offered for this model.

The first night sights I had on this gun were Meprolight. That was in 1999, and both sets of sights lasted only a few weeks before the front sight was useless. I read many years ago that Meprolight had some problems around that time that have long since been resolved, and was curious about any more recent experiences with these sights.

I am also open to other recommendations using a 3 dot pattern of tritium vials. What else have you used that has proven to be durable and long lasting?

Thanks in advance.

Have you asked Trijicon to replace just the tritium vials? Or did I miss something in your post?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Have you asked Trijicon to replace just the tritium vials? Or did I miss something in your post?
    That may be my next step. I have done this with other Trijicon sights, and at that time it was $20/insert and a few weeks of time. I would prefer, if possible, to have something I could use for an immediate replacement.

Well I've been happy with Ameriglos on 2 guns now....only 1 1/2 years with them, but they have been through the wringer in training, shooting and carry.

I don't know if they're any tougher than Trijicons, but I know I prefer them, site-wise (orange square w/tritium vial, front. Much better daylight visibility than the Trijicon 3 dot greens on my wife's G19).

User Tag List