Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Nuances of running the 1911 thumb safety (thread split)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Okay, so I took my airsoft 1911 that I use for manipulation practice and used a red paint pen and applied a layer of fresh paint on the side and top of the thumb safety (not the underside). After a minute or too where it was tacky dry, I took these pics.

First just the Gun

Attachment 68207

Next the standard way most people ride the thumb safety regardless of where the gun is pointed.

Attachment 68208

Attachment 68209

Now what I do - when the gun is not on target

Attachment 68210

-

When I rotate the muzzle onto the target whether coming up from ready going to the two, whatever, then I roll my thumb over the top of the thumb safety and snap it down.

The end result you can see how much pressure I apply underneath the safety (enough that paint from the side of the safety ends up on my thumb)- here I've relaxed my grip to show you:

Attachment 68211

-

This is something I've thought a lot about. The thumb safety on a 1911 is ergonomically placed that no detectable speed difference is found from using a hard index safety on and rolling on top of the safety to go off. If I've made the decision to draw and fire, I get on the safety early, but don't disengage until the muzzle comes up and get to work.

The hard index for safety ON comes into place when the gun is drawn but muzzle isn't on target or the decision to fire hasn't been made.

The reason I bring this up, is the hard index safety on has your brain registering that the safety is on: to shoot I need to go safety off. Regardless of which position you're shooting from a hard index on the safety adds an additional brain layer to safety on/safety off.

I also holster like this break the muzzle from the target, safety on, hard index against thumb safety back to the holster. Once the gun is in far enough that I have to break the index, I roll the thumb up between hammer and back of slide and finish inserting the gun.
    This is exactly what I do with my 1911, High Power and M4.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's been some 15 years since I carried a 1911, and never considered this as an option. I was always 'thumb on the shelf'.
    29 years of USPSA, and this is ingrained in me. I don’t think I could (or have the energy to) change it. I do know some shooters will safe the gun between positions.

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    A little bit off topic but still relevant for those who treat a USP or HK45 pistol like a cocked and locked 1911.
    I think the issue with the USP safety/decocker design is that if you ride it sometimes (at least for me) under recoil the thumb will depress it out of the safetyoff notch and partially into the decock range. It isnt enough to decock the gun but is enough to make a dead trigger.
    My answer to this idiosyncrasy of that system is to ride the back of my support hand right beside the safety so it’s still thumbs high just not resting on the safety itself.
    This leads to a very slightly different grip on my HK45C vs a 1911
    I wish I could get a picture but unfortunately it requires both hands LOL
    Do you use thumbs forward? With my grip, I wouldn’t be able to do this on my USPc as the weekend would prevent it. Of course, SHO could be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushca01 View Post
    Agree, at the end of the day isn’t a 1911 with the thumb safety off just a Glock at that point?
    Not a Glock, IMO. The Glock has a little more weight, but also more travel. Also, maybe it’s just me, but finishing the compression of the striker spring has a different feel to it then the trigger return spring take up that is typical in a single action only striker fired gun.

I would repose the question,

“ Agree, at the end of the day isn’t a 1911 with the thumb safety off just a P320 at that point?”

User Tag List