Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What makes you change your primary (and secondary) firearms?

So, for the middle episode, while I was toting the GP100 on the job, and during much personal time, I entered a gun-of-month period, as I was working much OT. I soon added 4” S&W Models 19 and 66, which were noticeably much lighter in the duty rig, and during personal time, I might tote any of 4” .357 revolvers. My old Model 60 went away, replaced by a Model 640, soon supplemented by other concealed-hammer S&W J-snubs, made of various frame materials.

I tried an S&W 3913, as soon as I could get my hands on one. I soon added a DAO 3953, and favored it, so I sold the 3913 to a PD captain. It is difficult for me to remember how how I carried the 3953, compared to the revolvers.

I experimented with a Kahr K9, for a time. Like the 3953, it is difficult to remember how much carry time it saw.

I added a Colt Government Model, which would run with 100% reliability, for a number of years, and only FTF’ed with one particular mag. I used this for some personal-time carry.

About 1997, I bought a Ruger SP101, which had been slicked-up with Jack Weigand’s Tame The Beast package, minus the optional porting. I still have this one, and it remains important.

In early 1997, I became aware of an upcoming duty pistol policy change. After a specific cut-off date, all new duty pistols would have to one of three de-cocker forties. Existing duty pistols could be grandfathered, if we kept current with the quals for each pistol. I decided to switch back to a duty auto, that Colt Government, and quickly acquired two of the then-new Kimber 1911 pistols. These were the duty pistols I grandfathered. In hindsight, this was a mistake, but it seemed to be a good idea, at the time. Flat-sided 1911 pistols were easy to conceal. Life was, I thought, good. I started my second “1911 phase.”

Well, to make a long story short, those Kimbers required much work, and swapping of Kimber garbage parts. Vetting drove me crazy. Finally, one emerged as reliable enough for duty and personal carry. I toted a full-sized 1911, Colt or Kimber, on and off the clock. I added a superbly reliable Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. By concentrating upon 1911 shooting, I could shoot a 1911 almost as well as I ever fired a GP100, or S&W K/L-Frame. Almost. Life was good, until 2002, when my skinny hand started having trouble properly interfacing with the 1911 grip safety, when drawing quickly from the then-mandated duty holster.

Well, I had not grandfathered any revolvers, regrettably. So, reluctantly, I transitioned to one of the approved wide-body .40 duty pistols, the G22, then in the 3rd-Generation period. I put away my 1911 pistols, to concentrate upon the quirky-to-me Glock trigger. During personal time, however, I did not adopt the blocky Glock. I toted my SP101, and a J-snub, or, occasionally, my GP100. I did experiment with a G27, but could not shoot is as well as my SP101. (Actually, I shot the SP101 better than the full-sized G22, too!) I sold the G27, and experimented with a G29, which I found a bit too large, in the reach to the trigger.

I soon added a second Weigand-custom Tame The Beast SP101, and then a third, stock, particularly smooth-action SP101, with a hammer spur, in order to use a shoulder rig with thumb-break retention. I added a 3” SP101, a 4” Speed Six, and a 4” non-lugged GP100. 2002 to about 2008, I was toting two or three revolvers, during personal time.

In 2004, frustrated with having reached a disappointing accuracy plateau with Glocks, I handled a P229R, one of the approved duty forties. This one had the optional slimmer factory trigger, with a shorter reach that fit my medium-length index finger. In addition, this one had the then-new DAK trigger system, which some of my heavy-hitter, door-breachin’ colleagues in Narcotics Divsion had embraced. I bought this P229R DAK, and when I fired a qual course, cold, for the first time, I beat my Glock scores, fired over two years. My second or third run on the qual course, I was shooting the P229R DAK almost as well as I had ever fired a 1911.

I still usually carried my revolvers during personal time, until I later added, and vetted, a non-railed P229 DAK. This one rode in a Josh Bulman Forward Drop Scabbards, during personal time. Times were good, until, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread, .40 S&W became .40 Snap & Whip, when fired in these aluminum-framed, high-bore-axis SIGs. This ends my chronologically middle chapter, on carry guns.

Yep, in hindsight, I could have grandfathered my GP100 and two K-Frames, in 1997, and been all-revolver, or mostly-revolver, 24/7/365, to this day.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    Been a fan ever since of the DA/SA
    Honestly, if not for the width, I would 100% be carrying a DA/SA. I think the revelation for me was when I actually got a shot timer--back-to-back, any day, any condition, my funtimes G34 with the absurdly light trigger was no faster than my unmodified H&K USP Expert. Usually the Expert was a bit faster despite being a .45, and I could shoot it appreciably further than the Glock. Bear in mind, I really like both brands, and would happily add to my Glock collection as enthusiastically as I'd buy more H&Ks.

And before anyone mentions anything, yes, I'm aware that the single-stack S&W DA/SAs exist in all their forms. I've tried them, and as much as I love the S&W model of "no matter what you want, we have it" I just can't shoot the things. I am not alone. Denzel didn't hit shit with a pair of 4506's in Training Day (fun fact: the exact same guns were later used by Michael Chiklas in The Shield).

Come to think of it, okay, I'd buy a 4506.

I changed from a 642 to a Glock 43. I tried to master the J frame but I was just able to see the Glock sights better and shoot it more accurately.

So many good reasons here. For me, there are / were many as well.

1. The strive for finding the perfect solution. Yes, nothing is perfect, but that desire added with a passion / enthusiasm makes the pursuit worth it. Also, the is a “perfect for me” category. I actually feel I do have this in my alternate carry with the G43.

2. Sponsorship with a particular company, has impacted decisions out of respect / loyalty. Not cool if you have some association with brand X, but carry brand Y (when appropriate).

3. Fallout with brand X may cause bitter feelings, losing said desire for such.

4. In my early days of carry, I’d try to match my carry to similar to what I was competing with. (At the time I only practiced for competition, not defense so this made sense).

5. Trying to find the proper size / weight / capacity / “carry-ability”.

6. Finding the right OS. This has been the hardest, as can be seen by the endless threads here. I like all of them, and think all have pros and cons. I feel I favor the pros / cons of the DA /SA, but then the is no good G43 sized counterpart to match it. I have the most experience with SAs with 29 years USPSA shooting. I have not issue with a thumb safety, but grip safeties are out. An EDC X9 / Sig P938 fits that bill, and I own and have vetted both.

In years past, I didn’t mind much of rotation. A lot has changed for me in the past year, many things not COVID related, some are. I wouldn’t mind getting out of a rotation when it comes to guns of the same size. I still see a need to rotate based on concealability. Like I said, I’m sold on the 43, despite resisting buying one until a friend talked me into it. (Damn you @bac1023 ).

Right now there are 4 guns in the lower rotation (lower relates to shelf height). A G19, G48, EDC X9, 92G Compact).

Secondary? The Kel Tec P32 and Glock 43 changed everything roughly 15 years apart.

I didn't personally find a solid replacement for my early P32 until the Glock 42 came out. The P3AT was never as reliable for me as the .32 was, and the plastic Karhs didn't take. I wasn't that hot on the 43, but a ton of people have been.

Other than some J-frame people I kinda feel like it's unlikely anyone here hasn't changed their secondary due to one of the above. For those that are old enough, probably both.

Site Supporter
    Changing my pocket J to my G42 will have to wait until I can get some more 380 as I shot out my supply before I moved. Didn't buy more as was waiting on my Erie County permit, then Covid panic hit. Still thinking about a G43 but that well is dry. I have about two mags worth of SD 380.

The ammo shortage and gun shortage is a thing.

User Tag List