Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes you change your primary (and secondary) firearms?

I knew I had posted recently about this. So I searched for "expensive", "pain in the ass", "time suck", and "switching guns".

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’ll add one thing that’s totally personal. I hate switching guns—either for competition or carry. It’s a giant pain in the ass, expensive, and a time suck. It would take a massive advantage/disadvantage for me to switch. And I’ve come to feel like the gun doesn’t matter that much, performance-wise. It’s 95% familiarity and practice.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

In retrospect, the reasoning behind most of my changes have not justified the move. I'd have saved a small fortune if I'd stuck with my original P22x SIGs. c'est la vie.

It’s unlikely I’ll find anything that is a major improvement over a CZ. . .. I could be happy with these guns forever.
    Pretty much the same for me. I'm very satisfied with the P-07/09 at this point. I doubt I'll move away from them unless The Overlords force us into single stacks.
    David S.

I knew I had posted recently about this. So I searched for "expensive", "pain in the ass", "time suck", and "switching guns".
    While it is true in general, what i found, switching guns is actually beneficial for my skills development if it is done right. Similar to switching divisions in USPSA. Different things become more in focus such as recoil management, trigger pull, dot, and so one. You just need to focus and analyze them.. I believe I become a better, more rounded shooter at the end. It could be frustrating and dangerous for our ego of course each time when we learn something new. Look at the top guys. They are doing quite alright whatever they are shooting at the moment.
    Probably it shouldn't be advised to a new shooter though.

For many years, I wanted to think that the limiting factor was the hardware. I would even have bouts of "improved" performance when going from one thing to another.

After at least a decade of this, I finally smartened up and realized that the problem wasn't the gun(s), it was me. That freed me up to choose based on logic and reason rather than feels, wants, likes, and "pointability" and other silliness.

So I've had Glocks ever since.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

The expense of switching guns is literally the limiting factor behind my decisions to not switch as often.

We'll see what the rest of 2021 brings, but there is the distinct possibility of being able to carry more regularly the latter half of this year. What that will look like will definitely vary based on a variety of factors. But it seems unlikely that a 1911 will be in the mix there due to environment and wardrobe requirements.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The expense of switching guns is literally the limiting factor behind my decisions to not switch as often.
    Expense and an intense dislike of complicated logistics. I'm slightly cranky because I need to reorganize my holster mess again. My magazines stay nice and neat, but holsters are essentially untrainable.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Expense and an intense dislike of complicated logistics. I'm slightly cranky because I need to reorganize my holster mess again. My magazines stay nice and neat, but holsters are essentially untrainable.
    #MeToo

This is another factor for me is I really don't want more magazines and holsters...(which is a lie, I'm a fiend for good holsters...as you know).

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    A major motivation for selling the pistol I most recently let go of was that I could get rid of a bunch of holsters that only fit the one gun. My holster collection is tidier than it's ever been.

I've owned mostly Glock but this question made me think.

The changes I have made were driven by maintainability.

I had a USP Compact in .45 for a while and was serious enough about it to take a class and compete with it. I sold it after I fell into water while I happened to be carrying a Glock. I detail-stripped the Glock, dried it out, and it was ok. I realized I would not feel comfortable doing that myself with the USP. Granted, the USP might not have needed a tear down but it made me see the mechanical simplicity of a Glock is an advantage.

Likewise, when it was time to replace the dead Meprolights I installed on a mid-90s 686 and give it a once-over, I had a hard time finding someone whom I would trust to work on it. I replaced it with a Match Champion and have never regretted it.
    Last edited by Edster; 03-02-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Site Supporter
    Effectiveness of modern 9mm defensive ammunition and magazine capacity had me experimenting with Beretta 92 series guns and Glocks a few years back. End result? I liked them both a lot.

However,

The Beretta's safety/de-cocker is problematic for me because of a busted thumb. Even using the proper method of swiping down on the safety to disengage it doesn't work great for me. If I had to, I could make it work though.

As for Glocks, I like them and was really close to switching to a Glock with SCD for my carry gun. But I still feel safer AIWB carrying a Series 80 Colt with its three safety mechanisms than I do a Glock with the SCD. But if I was compelled to switch to a Glock for some reason, I would be just fine. Other SFA guns, ones with optional thumb safeties, would probably work as well.

Finally, I obtained a Colt Lightweight Government that makes carrying a full size 1911 easy and comfortable. The gun's configuration means my all steel XSE and Rail Gun are good compliments. So I have a Rail Gun with mounted light as a HD weapon, Lightweight Government for carry, and the XSE for practice/training. All with the same sights, safeties, etc...

Plus I like just 1911s, not gonna lie.

User Tag List