Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What makes you change your primary (and secondary) firearms?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The grip would catch on the right side bolster, on the seat back, as I would exit the passenger side door. The slightly shorter grip of the G19 minimized that one problem. The holster body was for a G34, so could accommodate a range of Glock models. This factor, alone, did not prompt me to retire; it was just one of the straws piling onto the camel’s back, or, one more weight being placed onto the balance scale. Being able to patrol in a Tahoe had, effectively, been a career-extender, an improvement over the Crown Vic, enabling my long-legged self to step in and out easily, rather than climb. Losing the ability to patrol in a Tahoe un-did that one one favorable factor, but then also put me into a patrol vehicle that required more of a climb, than the Crown Vic, and added a squeeze and an obstacle course.

It was not that I was too big. I was wearing issued Blauer duty trousers with a 34” waist, and could still fit into a pair of 32” VertX cargo trousers. I had made the commitment to wear LEVEL III plates, for the full shift, but they fit above the duty belt, so did not make the holster fit any differently. The holster was the mandated Safariland 6360 ALS/SLS, so that part was set in stone.

I could modify the way I exited the vehicle, by pivoting around more, but that would mean facing away from the direction the vehicle was facing, a problem during a felony vehicle stop, or other situation in which the patrol vehicle was facing danger, as my left flank would be toward the danger, setting me up for a shot into my less-armored and unarmored parts. I actually worked on a drop-and-partial-roll, as a way to bail-out quickly, but I had to lose sight of anything in front of the vehicle, to do that, and then get back onto my feet.

One last bit of creativity would have been to install QLS receptacles onto the duty rig, allowing me to quickly exchange left and right holster bodies. I was already most of the way there, with one QLS receptacle on the left side, allowing me to quickly add a lefty holster body, which I did already have on hand, part of my “active shooter” kit set-up. But, as I said, there were other factors.

Aniother advantage of the roomy Tahoe was being able to maneuver my duty shotgun while still within the vehicle. The more-compact Ford took that away from me. Being able to step out, with shotgun in-hand, I believe, won several battles, without a shot being fired, during my days of driving Crown Vics and Tahoes.
    Sounds like a lot of time was spent making decisions that brought you home alive.

I have noticed the 17 barrel digging in my seat but I’ve never carried a 3 o clock enough to have issue. I did notice the grip hits my seat. I solved this going aiwb but normally I’m a 26 guy.

I will add that I'm in the same boat as, apparently, a lot of others when it comes to switching small guns more often, even though mine are still 99% belt-carried instead of pocket, possibly under tucked shirts or suit vests. PPK, then Kahr CM9, then PPS M1, now back to CM9, and it's still not exactly the answer even if it's the best answer for now, so I keep thinking about alternatives. What I really want is a Shield with a real thumb safety for belt carry and an LCR in .32 ACP for pocket, but neither of those exists because I can't have nice things, or something.

What I really want is a Shield with a real thumb safety for belt carry
    Shield EZ9? I've looked pretty hard at it and may yet take the 'plunge' and try it out. Just wish they hadn't done a 'mix and match' on the sights for it, but Tru-Glo now has decent sights for that model available - https://truglo.com/blog/post/tritium...%A2-9-ez%C2%AE

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    and an LCR in .32 ACP for pocket, but neither of those exists because I can't have nice things, or something.
    Did you mean LCP? Pick up an LCR in .327 Mag and load it with .32 S&W Long Target Wadcutters. If you can't put all six in the A-Zone as fast as you can stroke the trigger, recoil management won't be your problem.

But if you mean LCP - well...email Innovative Arms and convince them to bring out more LCP conversion barrels - https://shop.innovativearms.com/prod...ersion-barrel/ they did both .32 NAA and .32 ACP.

.32 NAA is hanging out in this gun (which you can find in my pocket 98% of the time):

Name:  Screenshot_2020-11-05 RevolverRob ( revolverrob) • Instagram photos and videos.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  49.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Not much - J frame M-F during work, VP9 after work and the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Shield EZ9? I've looked pretty hard at it and may yet take the 'plunge' and try it out. Just wish they hadn't done a 'mix and match' on the sights for it, but Tru-Glo now has decent sights for that model available - https://truglo.com/blog/post/tritium...%A2-9-ez%C2%AE

Did you mean LCP? Pick up an LCR in .327 Mag and load it with .32 S&W Long Target Wadcutters. If you can't put all six in the A-Zone as fast as you can stroke the trigger, recoil management won't be your problem.

But if you mean LCP - well...email Innovative Arms and convince them to bring out more LCP conversion barrels - https://shop.innovativearms.com/prod...ersion-barrel/ they did both .32 NAA and .32 ACP.
    I did mean LCP, thanks. I was aware of the .32 NAA barrels but I didn't know they did .32 ACP. Do the .380 mags feed .32?

I need to handle a Shield EZ and see if it would be the right size - it looks to me like its grip is a size up in length from things like the Shield and PPS. It's definitely on the radar though.

Site Supporter
    Not much change in nearly forty years of carrying.
    Belt guns:
    Currently various standard and compact Glocks in 9mm/40 depending on what cartridge is provided by work. Currently .40 but probably will be back with 9mm in about 12-18 months.
    Previously 4" S&W/Ruger/Dan Wesson medium frames for on and off duty before the late '80s when Glocks were mandated by policy.
    Pocket guns:
    Bought my first J Smith in '87, a M38 Bodyguard Airweight and pocket carried it on and off duty when policy allowed BUGS. It backed a 4" K Smith carried in a border patrol style holster for district court baliff duty back in the day. I was very happy to get a G&G security holster issued for the M64 later on.
    When Glocks were issued, all other makes and types of handguns were disallowed for on and off duty use. The Bodyguard mentioned earlier was sold to my nephew who was just starting his LE career in SW VA. I bought the G26 when it first came out in about '95 for pocket carry. It was just OK in that role. When helping in the church nursery one Sunday when my son was small, I was rocking one of the babies when I heard a thud on the floor to my right. My G26 had escaped from its horsehide pocket holster. Mrs. Bell, who was in charge of the nursery and knew what I did for a living, just looked and smiled. I put it back and never pocket carried it again.
    In 2013, I finally got a CHP from the Circuit Court, bought a new 442-2 and began pocket carry again, usually as an off duty backup to a belt carried Glock 22 or 23.
    Our current Sheriff was sworn in last year and has allowed a select few of us with revolver experience to qualify with and carry revolvers off duty. I currently have a 3" M64 NY-1 and the aforementioned 442 on the books. The 442 is a nearly constant companion while off duty and the M64 serves the belt gun role when my hips act up or I travel out of state and want to carry something that my Bride can use in case of emergency and not have to deal with stupid magazine or capacity restrictions.
    There are a few .45 full size 1911s in the safe but they are only carried on my permit to and from the range three or four times a year when they are the primary practice firearm. When I finally retire from LE, I suspect they may play a greater role than they do now.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 03-04-2021 at 03:13 PM.

My change from carrying a striker fired to my current PX4 CC was due to me running across Ernest Langdon’s “Fear not the double action” series of videos from several years back.

Started exploring that platform and I loved everything about it. From the concept of a longer first pull if I ever had to draw my gun, to the ability to put my thumb on the hammer when I put it back in my holster.

Been a fan ever since of the DA/SA

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I did mean LCP, thanks. I was aware of the .32 NAA barrels but I didn't know they did .32 ACP. Do the .380 mags feed .32?
    Generally yes.

The case length of a .32ACP and .380ACP are identical. The rim diameter of the .32 is smaller than the rim diameter of .380, but .32 ACP has the same diameter rim as a .380 mouth. This means capacity in the magazine is the same between the two. (the smaller .32 rim is not 'smaller enough' to add capacity).

You'll find loading .380 in a .32 mag is typically impossible (not enough width at the back end of the mag for the wider .380 rim), but .32 in a .380 mag typically works fine.

A lot of .32ACP pistols also have a breech face diameter that will fit the .380 rim diameter. For instance the Walther PPK uses the same slide between .32 and .380 versions. The vz.61 Skorpion uses the same bolt between .32 and .380 versions, Beretta Cheetah same story.

I happen to know all of this...because some dork around here ordered some .32 NAA reloading dies and is planning to buy a whole bunch of .32 ACP pistols in the near future and start reaming them to .32 NAA...

__

I need to handle a Shield EZ and see if it would be the right size - it looks to me like its grip is a size up in length from things like the Shield and PPS. It's definitely on the radar though.
    Ah, I got you. Not sure length does look a bit longer in the grip. If you get hands on one, let us know what you think.

To add a prequel to my earlier post, which documented 2011 to 2021, my first “carry gun” was an Uzi Carbine, with the under-folder stock, toted as a bag gun, in the very early Eighties. Texas did not yet have generally-legal handgun carry for most folks, which had been in effect since 1877. The most popular short-but-legal long gun was a pistol-grip-only shotgun, with an 18” barrel. NFA SBRs and SBSs were also well-liked, by those with the political connections to get CLEO approval.

My legal ability to tote handguns started March 17, 1984, upon being sworn as a police officer. I was mandated to use only DA revolvers, and three or four specific shotguns, during my first year of sworn service. I owned two 4” L-Frames, a 686 and a 581, a 4” N-Frame Model 629, a 2.5” K-Frame Model 66, and a 1-7/8” J-Frame Model 60. I bought an “off-duty” holster, which, IIRC, was a Bucheimer high-ride pancake, with thumb-break retention, for the 66. I soon added the same holster for the L-Frame, as I soon grew to dislike the lesser stability of the snubbier revolver, in the high-ride holster. I acquired pocket and ankle rigs, of now-forgotten brands, for the 60, as I regarded it as a back-up-only weapon, on or off the clock.

After the mandated one year of revolvers as my only carry handguns, I qual’ed with an HK P7, and carried it in a Bianchi Askins Avenger, during personal time. I also toted it in a locally-made, PD-spec flap duty holster, while on the job. Why the switch? Well, I had pounded my K/L-Frame-sized right hand, with too many .44 Magnum rounds, while improperly gripping that Model 629. Yes sir, I had been Dirty Rexy, carrying the 629 on duty, and practicing with “street-relevant” Magnums, because Big Boredom. (Actually, I had, somehow, been branded a “Hoe Moe Sectional,” or something like that, so had to act tough. There actually had been a gay male cadet, in the academy, at the same time I attended, which may have been the actual source of the rumor, but he looked and acted like your typical Texas redneck, so nobody guessed it has him.)

When the PD adopted an open-topped break-front-retention duty rig for revolvers, in late 1985, I switched back to a duty revolver, a kinder, gentler .41 Magnum S&W Model 58. Why? I wanted to get away from the slow presentation time from the flap holster. Soon, the Model 58 replaced the HK P7 as the personal time carry gun, too, because, well, getting married, with baby soon on the way, and then, sadly, the Big D, with “D” not meaning Dallas. I was soon down to just the Model 58, the Model 60, and my duty shotgun, a personally owned S&W 3000.

By 1990, my finances were better, and I had learned much more about ergonomics, and that I was wrecking my right thumb, hand, and wrist by improperly holding N-Frames, to get enough finger on the trigger. One solution was “splinter” grips, but that concentrated all of the recoil into a very narrow area. I still had my Model 60 snubby, but still regarded it as only a back-up/second gun. I started buying Colt Commanders, because my first handgun love was the 1911. My first handgun, at age 21, was a Detonics Combat Master, before I owned any revolvers, but it had failed its vetting, so had gone away, in a trade or sale. Well, my second or third Commander, a Stainless Combat Commander, passed its 700-hundred-round vetting, and, in 1990, became my 24/7/365 duty and carry gun. (Vetting was 500 rounds of FMJ, then 200 round of JHP.)

Well, after about a year, in 1991, the Commander started choking, about once every 400 rounds. I switched to a SIG P220, and it became my 24/7/365 duty/carry pistol. I had one problem, however; the heel-clip mag release snagged on things like seat back upholstery, allowing a partial drop of the mag. After about three or four episodes of this, in 1993 I went to supply division, to get a revolver holster, and switched to my fun/utility Ruger GP100, making it my 24/7/365 duty/carry gun, selling my P220, to finance a newer version of the P220, with a push-button, “American” mag release system.

Then, two things happened. I handled the newer type P220, and found that its grip was wrong for hands, so, I expanded my duty auto-pistol search. And, a mere two weeks after I had started toting my GP100 on the job, I got to see the absolutely devastating effect of a full-pressure 125-grain .357 JHC, on a human attacker, at close range. Suddenly, I was in no hurry to switch back to any auto-pistol.

I am afraid this will time-out, so will stop here, for now.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Generally yes.

[snipped .32 caliber info]

Ah, I got you. Not sure length does look a bit longer in the grip. If you get hands on one, let us know what you think.
    Thanks, I knew basically none of that.

And I'm eager to compare a Shield EZ and the kind of pistols I know are the right size, as soon as my LGS has things besides obscure Euro pistols in stock. I've handled a 380 EZ and liked it, but that was brief and I didn't do any comparisons. I'm thinking my guess as to the grip length is correct because if I remember correctly, I had a full three finger grip on it. So I'd guestimate that it's similarly sized to an Officer 1911, which I also barely have a three finger grip on. For reference, on a PPS, I need an extended mag to get my pinky on.

User Tag List