Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: F250 v Ram 2500 v GMC/Chevy 2500 gas engine thread

I do not have any specific hands on experience with the new ones, but I went from 235k in a 2500 Suburban with a 6.0/6spd to my F-150 3.5EB/6spd and would never think I would ever be happy without forced induction again, but... I recently drove a 5.0/10spd. One thing I love about my truck is 420fp@2200rpm means it is not always straining and deciding if it going to downshift, it just grunts up the hills. Sometimes the converter will unlock, but it subtle. In the 5.0 instead it drops down to a slightly lower ratio and picks up a bit of RPM, potentially in a few increments, still with no big downshift drama. A 7.3 would probably be even better with ten ratios.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Based on my previous experience I would very pretty happy with 14mpg in that 7,000lb unaerodynamic brick.
    Aight, so the return trip from VA was a bit of a let down in the MPG department. I think I clocked 9.2 mpg. Mind you that was running 75ish most of the way with some excursions touching 80 when passing, still with the now mostly empty 14 foot trailer, and with cruise control, but dang!

Today, however, I had to make and hour-plus long run to carry a mattress and table to a young ‘in. The bed was full, tailgate down and I was running mostly highway and interstate. 70 on the interstate, no cruise control. Clocked 17.3 mpg on that. Later, had a shorter run and clocked an amazing (to me) 18 mpg. I’m digging that.

Name:  4147EF01-C8F0-45C5-8EE7-4BFB97382401.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  30.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Aight, so the return trip from VA was a bit of a let down in the MPG department. I think I clocked 9.2 mpg. Mind you that was running 75ish most of the way with some excursions touching 80 when passing, still with the now mostly empty 14 foot trailer, and with cruise control, but dang!

Today, however, I had to make and hour-plus long run to carry a mattress and table to a young ‘in. The bed was full, tailgate down and I was running mostly highway and interstate. 70 on the interstate, no cruise control. Clocked 17.3 mpg on that. Later, had a shorter run and clocked an amazing (to me) 18 mpg. I’m digging that.

Name:  4147EF01-C8F0-45C5-8EE7-4BFB97382401.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  30.4 KB
    Hand calculated?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Hand calculated?
    Negative. All per the tripometer for each run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Negative. All per the tripometer for each run.
    The onboard computer is biased. Hand calculated is the only accurate way if it matters to you.

User Tag List