Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F250 v Ram 2500 v GMC/Chevy 2500 gas engine thread

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The Ford 10 speed auto is not new. I’ve got a variation of it in my 2018.
    How long has it been in the super duty's?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    How long has it been in the super duty's?
    Looks like this is the first year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford-G...c_transmission
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I believe it is the same transmission but now it's running much more torque through it.

A major Ford dealer in my area the techs have told me the 10 speeds have been good one just must get used to them shifting all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I believe it is the same transmission but now it's running much more torque through it.

A major Ford dealer in my area the techs have told me the 10 speeds have been good one just must get used to them shifting all the time.
    Not quite the same, upgraded for more torque.

https://tfltruck.com/2017/08/2020-fo...140-f250-f350/
    #RESIST

Love my 2019 F-250. It has the 6.2 gasser and towes 9,000 pounds routinely, throughout April to November (Winnebago Travel Trailer). Avg gas mileage when towing is 9-11 MPG, not towing 15 MPG. Real world use and experience, not from a window sticker.

I took receipt of a 2021 2500 Tradesman with the 6.4 in mid-January. Options were geared toward pulling a trailer, and, to a lesser degree, off-road capability. But a fancy truck it is not. I currently have 709 miles on it - so not much. The only observation I have at this point is that it has an abundance of power. I was clocking around 70ish going down the interstate shortly after I bought it and goosed the gas just a little to get around an 18-wheeler hauling scrap metal. Dang truck like to have gotten away from me. Average gas mileage at this point is right at 14 mpg, but that is with a fair amount of stop and go driving mixed in. I am hoping for 15 on the road.

In about two weeks I will be using the 2500 to haul a tandem axle, 14 foot enclosed trailer (7Â’ tall) on a nearly 1300 mile round trip to Southwest VA (Marion/Independence area) so I can post up a range report at that point if that is of interest to anyone. I have high expectations. The truck was purchased with the intention of eventually making a loop around most of the U.S. hauling that same trailer (after conversion into a camper). I intend to visit Glacier NatÂ’l Park, Yellowstone, and the Grand Canyon in this rig. I am hoping it will handle the mountains okay. I think it will.

If anyone has questions / concerns that I can pay particular attention to on my upcoming trip, post them up.

Completed the first leg of my ~1200 mile round trip yesterday. That would be about 660 miles from coastal Alabama to southwest Virginia in a brand new 2021 2500 with the 6.4. Axle ratio is 3.73. Pulling a 14 foot, V-nosed enclosed trailer, 7’ wide and 7’ tall (so it stands about a foot taller than a standard enclosed trailer - this makes a difference). One note - did ya’ll know that Alabama is hilly? It is. I-65 undulates up and down over the length of the state. The route started on the coast, and then traversed Tennessee via Chattanooga and Knoxville, on up I-81 to Marion, VA (Exit 45 - which is cool), and then another 20 miles or so which involves crossing over two mountains.

Short Version: This thing has power for days. Even with the trailer (which had a moderate load), my biggest challenge was keeping the speed down to 70 mph or so. Passing other vehicles was absolutely no problem as there is plenty of power to spare. A couple of times I wasn’t paying attention and when I looked down, I was clocking 80. During the last four hours, I ended up using cruise control (which I think is not recommended when towing), but the cruise control did fine and mimicked my own manipulation of the throttle. I was pleased with that. Also, braking performance was very acceptable.

In the rare place that the road was flat, the engine hummed along at about 2,250 rpm. On inclines, I was running a little over 3,000. No problem. Transmission was good. No hint of it hunting around looking for the right gear. Transmission temp was very steady around the 170 range (ambient air temp was low 50’s to low 60’s).

As noted, the last 20 miles involved crossing a couple of mountains. As luck would have it, there was a misting rain at the time. The road was slick. Still no issues. I was driving relatively slow because of the wide trailer and the tight curves. The real test came in the last 10 miles. There are two ways in to my place. On my last trip with this trailer, I was pulling it with a woefully under-powered 1997 F250 with a 5.8. I had to plan everything 10 moves ahead lest I get bitched up in some fashion (even getting gas involved some advanced planning). In that rig, I came in from another vector, and left out for the house on a longer, more trailer-friendly route. I think the 2500 spoiled me to the point that, even though I considered the very windy, tight, and hilly mountain terrain in the last 10 miles, it never occurred to me that I would be better taking the longer route. I don’t think I will forget again. My main concern was oncoming traffic because these roads are just barely wide enough for two vehicles. I was pretty concerned about the trailer getting clipped by an oncoming vehicle. Luckily, I only passed two or three vehicles in this stretch. But there are some pretty legit climbs in this stretch and speeds are necessarily very slow. So, it is all grunt at this point - no momentum carrying you over these hills. The 2500 handled it great. To be sure, the rpm’s went up (don’t ask to what because I was busy staying between the lines), but again, the power was there. This was a decent test. I’m unsure of the overall altitude, but I was in proximity to Mt. Rogers which is the highest point in Virginia and my place sits at about 3,500 feet.

So performance-wise, the truck was great. On the interstate, the trailer was a non-factor. In the hills, it got the job done. If there is a snake in the woodpile, it’s this. Fuel mileage. Per the onboard computer I clocked 9.2 mpg over the course of the trip. Thanks to Uncle Joe, that stung more than usual. This truck is now averaging 14 mpg in normal driving. Mind you, all of this is with me only very occasionally mashing on the skinny pedal more than necessary. This all may be normal for a rig like this. Ya’ll could make me feel better by validating that.

This evening I will depart for the return leg. This time, I will be deadheading with the trailer and, overall, will be losing elevation. Maybe I can crack 10 mpg. I will check back in and let ya’ll know how it goes.

Currently in a deleted 14’ F250 6.7. Since deletes have been pretty darn hard to come by as of late, I doubt I’ll get another diesel truck after this. If I stick with a HD, it’ll be the Ford 7.3/10 speed/4.30s (probably just gonna get the Tremor). Port fuel injection, no cylinder deactivation, 10 speeds and from everything I’ve read the truck acts similar to the F150 Ecoboost’s in terms of low end torque. Very similar torque curves. Was looking at the Ram 6.4/8 speed (Power Wagon) but I don’t want MDS/any type of cylinder deactivation for longevity reasons. Also have read about lifter issues with the Hemi’s that are currently still ongoing. GM still pairs their new 6.6 gasser with a 6 speed...meh...and it’s got direct injection & IFS. Nothing wrong with IFS per say, but for the type of stuff I use a truck for a solid axle is the way to go.

So it’ll probably be another Ford for me. If I stick with a HD, it’ll be a 7.3 Tremor but if I downsize it’ll be a Gen 3 Raptor. Don’t tow heavy as much as I used to so I really don’t need a diesel but whatever truck I get next I’ll be keeping for at least 10 years so potential reliability and simplicity is at the top of my list. Swapped a starter on my 6.7 two weeks ago and what a PITA. Zero room to work around that engine. Love the power, but the CP4 fuel pump is a time bomb and the emissions issues on non deleted diesels scare me enough to not buy one again. I had to delete my 2014 at under 20K miles due to severe fuel dilution in the oil and a clogged DPF. Gotta love the EPA.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    This truck is now averaging 14 mpg in normal driving. Mind you, all of this is with me only very occasionally mashing on the skinny pedal more than necessary. This all may be normal for a rig like this. Ya’ll could make me feel better by validating that.
    Based on my previous experience I would very pretty happy with 14mpg in that 7,000lb unaerodynamic brick.

I went with the ‘21 GMC 2500 HD AT4, because my truck will be named after a fucking rocket launcher.

And because the 6.6L engine provides plenty of torque and HP to tow what I need to tow. It also was the only truck in it’s class that gave me every single option I wanted. Not one other 250/2500 make or model provided the same flexibility and customization options. Of course, it may be 2022 before I see that bitch, but I’ve never bought a new vehicle, and at this point in my life, I ain’t settling for shit......

If I were towing near the max GVWR, and/or for extended distances, I would have opted for the 6.6L diesel with the 10 speed Allison transmission, but since I’m not, and price of diesel is consistently much higher than gas, and the fact that we still have gas stations that don’t color code their pumps, have nozzles that fit either/or, and I can totally see my wife pouring gas into a diesel truck because she doesn’t know any different.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List