Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memphis tourism

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Memphis tourism

My work partner and I are going to take a road trip to Memphis, TN early next month. Other than Graceland (is the Ultimate VIP tour worth it?) and Lansky Bros, what else should we hit?

Does Beale street have security checkpoints on weekdays?

Anything I need to know about off limits places for handguns?

Civil Rights Museum has always been good IMHO but has gotten rave reviews since a massive renovation not long ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    www.CitizensSafety.com | www.CitizensSafetyOnline.com
    | Learn more. Plan well. Fear less.|

I would skip Graceland, but I guess that's the "local" in me talking. :-)

Its been about 20 years since I was there as a college student but I really enjoyed Graceland and was a bit disappointed in Beale Street (though we only went to one place).

Check out the FAQ page on bealestreet.com re: gun policy. I haven't been down there myself in a while (years and years), but based on a few recent news stories I'm guessing the crowd is a little more obnoxious than it used to be.

I live in midtown, and I really think Overton Square is the new Beale Street. Lots of cool places there. Live music at LaFayette's. Great food everywhere.

Name:  IMG_0494.JPG
Views: 505
Size:  70.9 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I think the Civil Rights Museum is worth your time. Sun Records got good reviews from my family as well. No comment on Graceland, but I'm sure somebody more cultured would say to go for it. Beale sets up security after 7-8ish at night, but I honestly can't recall if they set it up on weeknights. I know you can get onto the street for the old stores and such during the day/early evening, no issue, and once you're in, you're in. If you play pool, I'm a fan of the Absinthe Room.

I don't know what your LE creds buy you. As HCP holders, we cannot go where posted (misdemeanor). We cannot drink while carrying. There is no requirement as to type of signage, though most businesses stick to the Beretta-in-a-circle thing in my experience. Most of the off-limits places are pretty common sense: government stuff (courts, jails, police stations), bars (but not restaurants that happen to serve alcohol -- Chili's, etc. is fine unless posted), schools/colleges, and other secured areas. You should be aware that several of the parks downtown ban carry -- some quirk in the law that allowed Memphis to do that (most places can't ban park carry).

As for food, I'm a Huey's fan (prohibits carry, unfortunately). For downtown barbeque, go Central BBQ over Rendevouz.

www.FrontSightPress.com
    | Centered and Even |
    Just noticed. Very clever.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Johnson View Post
    I would skip Graceland, but I guess that's the "local" in me talking. :-)
    I actually liked Graceland, and I didn't really care about Elvis. He was a neat guy.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

If music is your thing, definitely Sun Records. Gibson Guitar Factory is very neat too. Stax Records too, if you're adventurous enough to head over to that part of town. :-)

User Tag List