Thread: RFI Knoxville TN area "self defense"

RFI Knoxville TN area "self defense"

Hi,
    I had a friend reach out to me looking for a self-defense class around the Knoxville area. Sounds like a coworker has a daughter going off to college.
    Is there anyone in that area that does a good job covering stuff like predatory behaviours, maybe some MUC style scenarios, basic strikes, and tools such as pepper spray and lights. I don't think it's got to be anything fancy, just decent no-bullshit info about that there are horrible people out there and its ok to be rude to avoid making yourself a victim, and some tools (along with a realistic view of their limitations) if the avoidance thing doesn't pan out.

Thanks!

While I have no affiliation with @Randy Harris, I've known Randy a pretty long time (>15 years) and have trained with him in East Tennessee several times.

Randy is a solid guy and very knowledgeable, but even more so he's a good teacher and instructor... And a genuinely nice individual.
    He also has the skills/background and ability to teach what you're seeking.

Good on the father for looking out for his daughter.

Thank you very much ! I'll pass it along.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    First guy I thought of too. Excellent instructor.

A second recommendation for Randy Harris. I've been training with Randy for the last 5 years, and he is solid as they come. He is a great instructor and teaches the student in the most beneficial way for the individual student. He ain't Yellin' type A personality type, yet he is able to elicit the best performance out of a broad spectrum of student's personality types.

P.S. Randy's lecture on PESTS EAT FAST would be of great teaching value to the young lady in question, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
    A second recommendation for Randy Harris. I've been training with Randy for the last 5 years, and he is solid as they come. He is a great instructor and teaches the student in the most beneficial way for the individual student. He ain't Yellin' type A personality type, yet he is able to elicit the best performance out of a broad spectrum of student's personality types.

P.S. Randy's lecture on PESTS EAT FAST would be of great teaching value to the young lady in question, no doubt.
    This 100%.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

I've heard Scott Jedlinski of Modern Samurai Project mention Samual Braga at Gracie Barra - Knoxville a couple times. Long term, I'd look them up and jump on the BJJ bandwagon.

If he/she can't anything closer, they might consider a one or two day class with The Complete Combatant down in Dahlonega, GA. That said, unfortunately, I don't see any of their non-shooty classes on the schedule (Proactive Mindset, Pepper Spray and Force Readiness). That may be due to the COVID. Brian and Shelley are awesome.

It's bad timing, but John Murphy of FPF Training is down in Martin, GA this weekend. She would have gotten a lot of boxes checked on the first day of his class.

Cheers,
    David S.

@AsianJedi
    David S.

Thank you for the recommendations guys.

Just finished a 'night course' with Randy. Included everything you just mentioned including nonshooting solutions. 8 hrs of instruction and valuable information day or night. An excellent shooter, instructor, and person I have trained with multiple times. Check him out here: http://harriscombative.com/

Another upvote for Randy. Known him for a long time, and we've had some romantic getaways over the years...

The other option would be Citizen's Safety Academy in metro Nashville. https://citizenssafety.com/
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List