Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Member and Looking For A Semi Auto

I would recommend the G19. My wife and I both carry them.

Just all around, one of the best fighting pistols ever made.

Utterly reliable. Parts, magazines, sights, holsters, etc., cheap and readily available.

Can't go wrong with them.

Site Supporter
    Welcome to PF. It's been said before that Glock might not be the right answer but it is never the wrong answer. There are lots of good pistols on the market right now. I own several brands and shoot about 80% of my ammo through Glocks, carry Glocks, and have a Glock 17 at my bedside.

If, for some reason, you really don't want a Glock, take a look at the Beretta APX. You can still find an APX for a decent price.

Welcome to P-F! What experience do you have with pistols or firearms in general?

A Glock 19 is a good starting point. Parts, accessories, and mags are crazy available, they're easy to work on, and most classes these days are geared towards them. Plus, if you decide to go a different route, there's a good demand for used ones, so a sale would be pretty easy.

Get one, take a few classes, shoot it a whole lot. You may find that you would personally be better served with something else, in which case you'll have a solid knowledge base of what to look for.
    Or, it's just as likely to find that it's pretty much the perfect gun for what you need.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

With the possible exception of HK, all of the common pistol manufacturers have made bad guns. Some of their guns are bad designs and sometimes they make bad decisions in revision. Not everyone shoots Glock 19s well; I think that’s poor advice. Most beginners probably shouldn’t get a semi auto, particularly if they aren’t interested in training.
    Ignore Alien Orders

M&P,SigP320,and Beretta are all good choices Glock would be my last choice.

@scattergun2570, welcome to Pistol-Forum, one of the few truly decent places on the Internet.

It's hard to argue with Glock as the default handgun. My home will never be without them. While I carry and shoot other guns (mainly CZs), Glock remains my baseline for reliability, simplicity, safety, and ease of maintenance. As well, double stack Glock 9mm magazines are a widely available standard. If the question is 'what gun', Glock is an answer that won't bite you in the ass later (I've been bitten by Sig, S&W, and other manufacturers).

This may generate some discussion: How the gun feels in your hand isn't a good indication of whether it's a good choice. This is especially true for newer shooters. "Ergonomically shaped" grips that feel moulded to your hand may not actually fit well when shooting with a modern two-handed grip. I find a blocky Glock grip to be among the best shapes for learning and maintaining an unambiguous and reliable index* on target.

I believe that every serious shooter should be able to shoot the world standard gun: Glock. When someone says "I can't shoot Glocks", that is like someone saying "I can't shoot AR-15s".

My recommendation: Glock 9mm double stack (some type of 19 or 17) and some good training. I also recommend not modifying your Glock, except possibly to change sights, and to add a Striker Control Device, which adds safety.

(*where the gun is aimed when you point it at the target).
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-05-2021 at 11:07 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Guns are like tools. Some are multi purpose and others fit a very unique use case. My nightstand/HD gun is a Glock 19. My EDC is a Sig P365. My operator gun is an HK VP9. My mall ninja gun is a Ruger 57. If I could only have one gun I would keep the Glock 19.

What you can you find? Might also become part of the equation also. The 9mm is the in-fad caliber these days so finding the ammo is daunting. So what ammo supply you can latch onto might also be a consideration to give some thought to.

Good luck, hard to go wrong with a Glock, as others have said. I bought my first (at 19) in late '88. Great guns, superior fighting weapons.

Cat

I prefer 1911s or revolvers but my knee jerk answer is glock 19.

When I worked at a gun store that was my answer as well.

User Tag List