Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Member and Looking For A Semi Auto

Brand New Member and Looking For A Semi Auto

I will be buying a semi auto within the new few months... I want to know specifically which manufacturers are making the highest quality most reliable these days. I want to get a 9mm,,home defense,,some range time..not anything else. Would appreciate your thoughts on manufacturers.

Post Choices, choices...

Quote Originally Posted by scattergun2570 View Post
    I will be buying a semi auto within the new few months... I want to know specifically which manufacturers are making the highest quality most reliable these days. I want to get a 9mm: home defense, some range time... not anything else. Would appreciate your thoughts on manufacturers.
    It's hard to obtain quantifiable reliability data. Suffice it to say that Glock has the most demonstrable history for reliability. DHS has tested the Generation 5 Glock 17 and 19 to be the most reliable pistols they've yet tested.

H&K is a damned solid choice as well.

Is there a significant drop off or any drop off after those? I dunno.

But I love the CZ P-10C. The Walther PDP feels damned good in my hands. I also adore the CZ P-07 (once it's had a Cajun Gun Works trigger job). The FN 509 is also a solid platform (but I'd replace the striker with an Apex Tactical part. Beretta makes damned good products, too.

So, you have:

Glock
    HK
    CZ
    Walther
    Beretta
    ... others

They will be more durable and reliable than you can find ammunition to seriously test them.

Look at their features (ergonomics, ease of disassembly, parts availability, ease of maintenance, shootability and cost).

Just basic, blanket advice that I'd give: Gen 5 Glock 17, 19, 19x, or 45. Add night sights (non-19x). I wouldn't make this too complex, Glocks tend to work incredibly well and will do the things you want it to do.

Yeah, "just buy a Glock" is definitely the default advice. That said, the other brands @Mjolnir mentioned all have good reputations for reliability, accuracy, durability, etc., too, so if there's some reason (ergonomics, features, trigger type) that Glocks don't quite do things the way the OP wants, the others are definitely worth looking at as well. The only *real* downside to going with one of the other four vs. Glock is going to be aftermarket support. There simply isn't any brand which has more aftermarket holster or sight options than Glock.

I’m with the others, above.

@Mjolnir, good to see you posting.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Glock
    H&K
    Smith and Wesson
    CZ
    Beretta

These are the brands I would target for purchasing a new handgun.

Buy a Glock 19 and 2000 rds of ammo and some quality training.

That's been the standard advice here for some time. It's easy to misinterpret. The point isn't that the Glock 19 is the be all end all of defensive handguns or even that it's going to be an ideal handgun for you in the future. It's that there are better things for you to focus on right now and every second spent analyzing different handgun models is time better spent doing something else at this point in your development. The G19 will do all the things you need it to do well and they're so common that being familiar with one is a benefit to anyone. It's common for people to spend countless hours agonizing over their first handgun purchase like they're picking out a new type of vehicle, and those hours can be better spent. You don't know what you don't know yet so just hop in a Toyota and start learning to drive.

I think maybe that could be updated to include an optic at this time, but that's a question best left to people with more experience training people than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    It's hard to obtain quantifiable reliability data. Suffice it to say that Glock has the most demonstrable history for reliability. DHS has tested the Generation 5 Glock 17 and 19 to be the most reliable pistols they've yet tested.

H&K is a damned solid choice as well.

Is there a significant drop off or any drop off after those? I dunno.

But I love the CZ P-10C. The Walther PDP feels damned good in my hands. I also adore the CZ P-07 (once it's had a Cajun Gun Works trigger job). The FN 509 is also a solid platform (but I'd replace the striker with an Apex Tactical part. Beretta makes damned good products, too.

So, you have:

Glock
    HK
    CZ
    Walther
    Beretta
    ... others

They will be more durable and reliable than you can find ammunition to seriously test them.

Look at their features (ergonomics, ease of disassembly, parts availability, ease of maintenance, shootability and cost).

What is DHS.?

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    DHS = Department of Homeland Security

I agree w/ others that glock is a go to gun for sure. I just don't happen to like the grip angle. I much prefer a Smith and Wesson M&P.

User Tag List