Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best option for foam in Pelican 1720

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zpelletier View Post
    Can you explain this better? I’m just having a hard time visualizing this, but I also think it sounds awesome.
    I’m picturing something like a phlster flex or hard molle-like panel. If I’m incorrect, he can fix me.

Sorry for the delay in response. Actually the reference to the PHLster Flex system is a pretty good analogy.

You get a sheet of 1/8” Lexan or marine plywood cut to fit the bottom of the case. Put some 1/2” closed cell foam in the bottom of the case and put the Lexan plate on top. Apply adhesive Velcro or drill and Chicago screw Velcro cinch straps wherever needed to secure the gear.

Use eggshell foam to fill the top lid.

This type of system really increases the practical capacity of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Sorry for the delay in response. Actually the reference to the PHLster Flex system is a pretty good analogy.

You get a sheet of 1/8” Lexan or marine plywood cut to fit the bottom of the case. Put some 1/2” closed cell foam in the bottom of the case and put the Lexan plate on top. Apply adhesive Velcro or drill and Chicago screw Velcro cinch straps wherever needed to secure the gear.

Use eggshell foam to fill the top lid.

This type of system really increases the practical capacity of the case.
    I’m gonna have to try this. Definitely sounds like a major improvement over cutting foam to a specific shape. Thank you!

I've made a few custom case inserts using standard pick n pluck. Even multi layer ones. I found a good tip online a while ago and it has worked well for me.

Carefully layout and design your foam. Think carefully if using multiple layers. I use spray adhesive if permanently combining layers. Acts like contact cement so be very careful combining them. You have one shot.

When finished I seal the foam with Plastic Dip Spray. Carefully using light coats and building up. Shooting inside the plucked area and the bottom side. This turns the open foam to closed cell foam and will help prevent the pick n pluck from separating.

Site Supporter
    All, thanks for all the suggestions. Ended up grabbing this from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077YRNZN5...ref_=yo_ii_img

Cut it with a Jigsaw and metal blade then trimmed with a sharp knife. Bottom pieces were about a half inch too short but still looked good enough to not send back. Going for function over form so I’m happy with the way it turned out. But still may redo it. Or not.

Name:  9D1510ED-D27D-4048-8B06-9C5231B18026.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  100.8 KB

In my experience, a good approach is a soft case inside the hard case.
    I have been thinking about exactly this. My wife trolls this online auction thing and one of these cases is one of the best things she scored ($30!!), it is a custom foam case thing that probably got returned. I am thinking about just ripping the foam out of it and packing up for three gun inside of it (damn shotgun is huge...). I am mainly worried about keeping my stuff together and getting it from the basement to the back of the car or truck.

Another option might a product that is commonly referred to as the brand "Sintra", but there are many brands of "Expanded PVC Foam Sheet". It cuts easily with simple wood working tools (or even knives), is fairly light, available in many thicknesses, and glues up great with cheap PVC pipe glue. It is widely used in the graphics and sign business, if you know anybody in that line of work they probably throw a lot of it out in the trash, or a plastics supplier that does cutting many customers do not ask for the remnants ("drops" is the lingo). ETA: Thinking this could be used to build partitions and such.

User Tag List