Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best option for foam in Pelican 1720

Site Supporter

Best option for foam in Pelican 1720

Came across a Pelican 1720 for my rifle but no foam. Any suggestions on filling it? I’m thinking a closed cell poly foam from Amazon that’s cut for the rifle would look better than the original pluck foam. Thoughts?

I don't know about the 'best option', but here is one option: https://www.cobrafoaminserts.com/col...insert-1-piece

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Pricey, but completely customizable: https://mycasebuilder.com/cases-by-b...tom-foam-case/
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys; I really like the Cobra option. Has anyone had experience with pick-n-pluck?

https://www.foambymail.com/Merchant2...uct_Code=PNPCR

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Thanks guys; I really like the Cobra option. Has anyone had experience with pick-n-pluck?

https://www.foambymail.com/Merchant2...uct_Code=PNPCR
    The original foam in my Pelican was pick-n-pluch style. Much easier than using a foam knife to cut.

FWIW... Harbor Freight has house brand cases similar to Pelican that I've had good luck using. Same pluck foam. IIRC, their brand is "Apache", for now.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Pick-and-pluck is very popular. In my limited experience*, pick-and-pluck is easy to customize because the blocks are barely attached, and it easy to remove those blocks that you don't want. However... and this is a big however... pick-and-pluck doesn't wear well. As you use the case, the blocks you left behind tend to come apart on their own because - as I said - they were barely attached to start with.

* I say 'limited experience' because - given a choice - I would never again choose that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Pick-and-pluck is very popular. In my limited experience*, pick-and-pluck is easy to customize because the blocks are barely attached, and it easy to remove those blocks that you don't want. However... and this is a big however... pick-and-pluck doesn't wear well. As you use the case, the blocks you left behind tend to come apart on their own because - as I said - they were barely attached to start with.
    I'd strongly second the above thought that the pick-and-pluck doesn't wear well. I have a room full of Pelican cases I used to use for cameras. The P-n-P is easy to adapt to whatever you're protecting, but it does begin to come loose around the edges of the openings as you remove/replace items. Plus, small bits can flake off. Might not affect a firearm, but they can get on camera lenses, mirrors, etc. I pretty much switched to the (more expensive) padded dividers in the cases used for cameras.

Also, you might consider one of the relatively inexpensive soft cases for the rifle. I think there are quite a few that fit the Pelican and Storm cases, without either the foam or padded dividers.

If you really want a foam interior, here’s another option. https://eatontacticalinnovations.com...ican-1720-v14/ -Just one example, they make a slew of versions.

In my experience, a good approach is a soft case inside the hard case.

An alternative, if you’re handy, is to make a pallet from 1/8” Lexan, cover it in fuzzy Velcro adhesive strips, and strap the rifle to the pallet with Velcro straps. Put foam under the pallet, and a slab of eggshell foam in the top lid.

This also lets you carry a lot more stuff than a full foam interior will provide for. For example, spare mags can go between the eggshell foam and the lid.

I started using Pelican 1700 cases for international travel with archery gear back in the 80’s and this was my preferred method to maximize case capacity while fully protecting the gear inside. (It kinda sucked because back then they had no wheels, so I also had a little wheeled trolley for the sucker.)

Throw extra rain gear and other clothes around the hard stuff for extra protection, and make sure everything is compressed when you close the thing.

Only problem with this is international flights- I once got taken off a departing flight out of Paris on my way to a World Championship at gunpoint, taken down to the tarmac, and made to open the case in the middle of a Polish firing squad of French cops.

The first-class upgrade afterward did make up for it, but I digress...

(And that, of course is the problem with Pelican cases...)

I retired the thing to the “basement room of unused gear” about 20 years ago, with about 200,000 air miles on it and still structurally perfect. There’s better stuff (lighter) these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Archer1440; 03-02-2021 at 03:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys. I’m trying to not buy another case; I already have a Pelican 1720 from work, but no foam. This should just be for longer term storage or if I ever do fly with the rifle. A friend is hooking me up with a drag bag for range usage. He has six extra!! Benefits of having a sniper friend!

I found these guys; also contacting them concerning cutting the foam for me. I’ll keep everyone updated regardless if it works out or not.

https://www.foambymail.com/charcoal-...grid-foam.html

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    An alternative, if you’re handy, is to make a pallet from 1/8” Lexan, cover it in fuzzy Velcro adhesive strips, and strap the rifle to the pallet with Velcro straps. Put foam under the pallet, and a slab of eggshell foam in the top lid.
    Can you explain this better? I’m just having a hard time visualizing this, but I also think it sounds awesome.

User Tag List