Thread: Sight width and accuracy

Sight width and accuracy

How wide of a front sight, or width of the rear notch do you prefer for accuracy? I’ve been using Ameriglo Spartan Operator sights on my Glock pistols for several years now, and have always been pleased with them. They have a fairly wide rear notch, which allows for a lot of light on either side of the front sight. However, recently I’ve not been as happy with my accuracy at 25 yards. Trying to hit a 5” circle, I was missing to the side of the target (elevation was good). I’m planning on taking another Glock, but with standard OEM night nights on it next time I go to the range. I want to compare the accuracy I can achieve with those sights, which allow for much less light on either side of the front sight.

What have you found that works well for you? I know we all have preferences, and our eyesight varies and changes, but I’m curious to see what works for others.

I'm currently liking a 0.140" Ameriglo CAP front, and 0.165" rear. But like you said, our vision and preferences change over time.

If you're missing to the right, are you sure the rear sight doesn't need to be drifted a smidge? I zero my guns using B-8 repair centers at 25yards, and a little windage adjustment is often needed.

Oblique lighting can also effect point of impact for some folks, including me, but it seems to be highly variable from person to person.

User Tag List