Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting bolt gun

The sako right there is the one I was talking about. I was dead set on it for a few days and started questioning it. That T3x is cheap! Those Sauer are for sale in 6.5 for $600 at Standard Mfg. Mauser is nice and cheap too!

I kind of got the impression I should pass on 6.5 from PF. No one said it but if pushing for 06 and 308 I kind of thought maybe I should skip 6.5.

Am I wrong? If 6.5 is as smart as the other 2 it opens up a lot.

Unfortunately the Sauer is blued. To get cerakote they up the price a little. They have a Cherokee model and a atacama model. The gun feels great, 60 degrees throw and slick. The stock is like 14.5 LOP though and a little long for me I’d imagine with lots of clothes. In a sweatshirt it was all good. Liked it a lot in the store.

Here’s their cera tech version for sale

https://www.precisionoptics.net/category_s/701.htm

How does the Mauser stack up?

Bergara has lots of 6.5 available too.

Bet that tikka is sweet.

When I told Europtic I wanted a sub $1000 rifle, they suggested one gun. The sako in 6.5. Never felt one though, but from what I understand it’s normally $1200
    Last edited by newyork; 02-28-2021 at 07:05 AM.

That vortex is the one I was going to go with. My buddy scared me and said he’s seen so many go down from vortex. That and I constantly here the saying “vortex has an amazing warranty and you will definitely use it”. It’s about perfect in specs.

Sauer 100 seems to get great reviews. There was some skepticism on whether the bbl is threaded or press fit but it looks like all 100 bbls are threaded to the receiver.

One issue I’ve seen in 2 reviews is that while cycling, you can accidentally turn in the 3 position safety while wearing gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    My go to bolt gun is a CZ550 in 7x64mm. Shoots everything Ive tried straight while still having a soul without costing the earth.
    +1 on the CZ 550. Solid lifetime hunting rifle.

I like .270 Win for a ubiquitous caliber choice, it has served me very well on Pronghorn and Mule deer. Fast and flat, every major US ammo maker manufactures their top tier lines with a .270 option, lot of variety to work with. 30-06 is my other choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wood and blue is beautiful but scares me. Nothing like the look of those 2 things.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Mauser-M18...EMO-Excel.aspx

6.5 isn’t off the table yet but it might be soon. Sounds great but it’s not as ubiquitous as the 308, 270 and 30-06.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    6.5 was still on the shelf at the nearby Academy when all the .30 cal stuff was gone. That was at least six months ago, so you probably can't get anything there today unless you go by the morning after the truck makes its delivery.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

One of my 2 local guys had 308 and only enough 6.5 to give out 40rds and only if you bought a 6.5 gun from them.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    The sako right there is the one I was talking about. I was dead set on it for a few days and started questioning it. That T3x is cheap! Those Sauer are for sale in 6.5 for $600 at Standard Mfg. Mauser is nice and cheap too!

I kind of got the impression I should pass on 6.5 from PF. No one said it but if pushing for 06 and 308 I kind of thought maybe I should skip 6.5.

Am I wrong? If 6.5 is as smart as the other 2 it opens up a lot.
    Though I have now killed 2 elk with mine, I still think it is a little on the light side of things. There has lately been a race to push the envelope to see how small a cartridge hunters can use to kill very large game. There are many success stories about guys using 6.5 CMs on elk, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there are also a whole bunch of instances where guys took shots beyond their personal abilities and the cartridges' abilities, due to the massive hype the industry has put forth about the little round. Those are the stories that they are not putting on the internet, The ones where the wounded elk went over the next ridge with a tiny bullet in their guts to die a slow miserable death, due to people shooting beyond abilities.

The 6.5 cm is a great round, but if you read up on it, you will find that many believe that they can replace a .300 win mag simply because the wind bucking ballistic coefficient numbers can be similar. Yes, due to the high BC numbers of the better bullets, they put up some good numbers, but they still are a tiny little bullet and when compared to the bullet of a good .300 wm load, they just don't compare when you get out there at extended distances. But there are guys on the net that will tell you that the 6.5 CM is an 800 yard elk rifle. I wholeheartedly disagree with this. They certainly can hit the elk, but making clean kills, getting complete broad side penetration is a whole other story.

Personally I think the thing many leave out of the equation is the elk. They deserve a quick clean death. Not an ugly all day, multi day, painful one. Trying to show how small you can go, I believe is some sort of ego thing. There is a clown over on the Rokslide forum who (aside from being a serious BS'r and pathological liar) who has convinced a great many people he is some sort of firearms, hunting and ammunition expert. He goes by the handle Formidilosus. He used to hang out on the 24 hour campfire but rarely pokes his head around there anymore due to getting called out on his ridiculous tall tales. But he has a BUNCH of people convinced that the .223 is a perfectly viable elk cartridge. He has fooled enough people over the years that there are guys going out and buying .223s just to hunt elk with. As far as I can tell the guy has only ever killed one elk in his entire life, but he makes it sound like he is an SME on all things related to elk hunting. Anyways, elk deserve a clean quick death and while a 6.5 is absolutely capable of doing that within a certain range, I think most guys would be better off with a little larger cartridge.

Just my thoughts.

User Tag List