Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Hunting bolt gun

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Just bought a Bergara Wilderness Hunter in 308!
    Two things. First, great choice!
    Second, well dang. I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you for sharing your experience.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

It was a pleasure and thank everyone here for every bit of your time.

The only thing lingering is, should I have bought that Steiner instead. I saved $170 with the Vortex. Hopefully it is a reliable solid piece.

Site Supporter
    The only thing lingering is, should I have bought that Steiner instead. I saved $170 with the Vortex. Hopefully it is a reliable solid piece.
    Vortex products are good and they have a lifetime, no BS warrantee. I lost a lens cover. They replaced it, no questions asked. A friend of mine’s grandkids borrowed a pair of his binos, and seem to have dragged them through a mountain of sand b/c one of the lens cups was grinding instead of smoothly turning. They RMA’d, cleaned it up and replaced a worn part on it, and sent it back, all warranty work, no charge for anything.

I have no issues or worries with Vortex.

Sounds great to me!

Bought Strelok Pro.

Looks like everything should be here by the weekend.

For the hopeless romantics who are hunting with a walnut stocked bolt .30-06 gun, what do you do to maintain your stock? What products do you like that minimize off gassing and unnatural smells in the woods? What do you do for the balance between showing off the grain of the wood and not being a reflective strobe light for game?
    Memento Mori

Quote Originally Posted by pointfiveoh View Post
    For the hopeless romantics who are hunting with a walnut stocked bolt .30-06 gun, what do you do to maintain your stock? What products do you like that minimize off gassing and unnatural smells in the woods? What do you do for the balance between showing off the grain of the wood and not being a reflective strobe light for game?
    Linseed oil is probably about as good as anything.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by pointfiveoh View Post
    I haven't tried this, but I'd expect that some furniture wax - - - the kind you rub on, and let dry "to a haze" before buffing off - - - could be rubbed on, but not buffed, and it would dull the stock's finish. Seems I recall the old Johnson paste wax dries to a haze without turning white.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    the 2-10 is the Viper PSTII series right? I have had a number of PST II series scopes, still own the 3-15 and 5-25. They are excellent. The Viper is a really nice sweet spot of qualityrice. They tend to be a bit heavy but optical quality is great and their CS is easily to deal with. I bought a Razor whose illumination wouldn't function reliably at every setting, I had an RMA in <24hr and the scope back to me just over a week from when I dropped it in the UPS box.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Vortex products are good and they have a lifetime, no BS warrantee. I lost a lens cover. They replaced it, no questions asked. A friend of mine’s grandkids borrowed a pair of his binos, and seem to have dragged them through a mountain of sand b/c one of the lens cups was grinding instead of smoothly turning. They RMA’d, cleaned it up and replaced a worn part on it, and sent it back, all warranty work, no charge for anything.

I have no issues or worries with Vortex.
    Hunting Coues whitetail in southern Arizona last year: my 15x Vortex binos were on my tripod while glassing the mountains for a buck. I knocked the tripod over and watched in slow motion horror as my binos slammed into a chunk of granite from a fall of over 6’. The tripod adapter snapped on impact, and there was visible exterior damage to both lens cups.

Vortex repaired them to like new at no charge, and replaced the broken tripod adapter as well.

I just bought a new laser range finder. I’m not trying to be a fanboy, but I bought a Vortex.

User Tag List