Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting bolt gun

I figure all ammo will be tough to find or expensive. When it cools down 6.5 is extremely available and popular and will be on shelves. If I can score a few boxes to sight in and practice that’ll be great. Then I have like 10 months to worry about actually NEEDING it to hunt. It’s not like it’s a glock in a weird caliber where I would be shooting hundreds of rounds in a session.

If 6.5 was always rare and wasn’t going to be on shelves normally then I’d skip it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    One thing to consider when selecting a caliber such as 6.5mm or any boutique latest rage ammunition, it is doubtful for example RT-17, exist 100 in Liberty you are going to find anything 6mm, but a dusty box of 30.06 even in todays times will be located easily. Ya we all say "we ain't that guy", until we are that guy or he is a hunting companion you are traveling with.
    There are no more dusty forgotten boxes of common ammunition left here. All the hunters vs. shooters I know were scavenging every store in every state that might have ammo and running huge group texts trying to help each other find ammo. But, back when you could find ammo 6,5’s were as available as anything else.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Funny how in the 80's the answer was 30-06/308/270 and its the same today. Wonder what it will be in 20 years?

Frankly today if I were buying I would choose based on what I could get 10-20 boxes of ammo right now of the above calibers.

With modern bullets and powders is there really any difference for hunting? (with the main stream calibers)

Or find a nice used with good glass on it and that will solve the caliber question.

Currently that’s be 308 in my area. No idea if that’ll change soon. Local shop says they’ve seen some hope in the supply chain though. He said he has plenty 308 but idk what it is. Surplus or plinking ammo or quality stuff.

I also saw a 308 Bergara in 308 for $799 on GB. 7.1lbs. Wilderness Hunter. Cerakoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I saw this at Kygunco while looking for something else: CZ 557 Sporter in 30-06 with a Manners EHS stock (carbon fiber). Its barrel is a little shorter than usual at 20.5 inches. It weighs 6.5 lbs so you can put a heavy ass scope and still be under 8 lbs. You'll kill anything in the CONUS within 400 yards with this. It is blued which may be a deal killer. It is just over your $1000 budget but shipping is free and they don't collect sales tax. A Manners stock ala carte is around $700.

I've upgraded the stocks on two rifles and it makes a world of difference. I have a 3rd rifle I haven't upgraded only because I don't shoot it very much. That's usually the first thing someone does to a rifle if they shoot it a lot. The second thing is they have some trigger work done or maybe in reverse order depending on the rifle. CZ's have decent triggers, Ruger's, not so much. Howa's have crappy stocks and decent triggers. That's just a generalization but I've owned all three.

I'd have no problem buying that CZ chambered in a short action. A bargain basement Howa would probably need a stock upgrade.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

The last new ammo that I've seen in LGS was blue-box Federal 308 back in November.

I see 308/30-06/5.56/12-gauge coming back first, then 20-gauge/30-30/243, then WSM/6.5 Creedmoor/270/belted magnums, etc. That's based on the number of existing arms chambered for them, not on the merits of those cartridges.

I also think that with the supply chain cleared of old stock, ammo makers will be in a far better position to understand what actually sells and will be more selective about future production. This is one of the best moments in history for them to abandon older, less popular cartridges.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

That CZ is a looker.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The last new ammo that I've seen in LGS was blue-box Federal 308 back in November.

I see 308/30-06/5.56/12-gauge coming back first, then 20-gauge/30-30/243, then WSM/6.5 Creedmoor/270/belted magnums, etc. That's based on the number of existing arms chambered for them, not on the merits of those cartridges.

I also think that with the supply chain cleared of old stock, ammo makers will be in a far better position to understand what actually sells and will be more selective about future production. This is one of the best moments in history for them to abandon older, less popular cartridges.

Okie John
    5.56 and 12g should be in the vanguard here, then .308, then maybe 6.5 Creedmoor, because of their use in gun games where practice and matches consume large amounts of ammunition at a fairly steady rate.

One addition I forgot about was the t3x ctr stainless that one of the shops had here. Over priced but I fondled it. 7.5lb but front heavy with that heavy bbl.

Glass is just as important as the rifle and should cost as much. I know many will disagree with that but I've always tried to do that. Every cheap scope I've purchased I've regretted.

A $150 Redfield I bought about 5 years ago comes to mind. I'm still loving the $500 Leupold I bought at about the same time. They dropped the model and the replacement now is more expensive.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List