Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting bolt gun

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    The book One Man, One Rifle, One Land might be of interest to the OP.
    While I have enjoyed fiddling with all the various cartridges and who knows how many rifles over the years, I could have taken everything I have hunted with a 30-06. The money saved...

BTW, Getting on my local Sportsman's Warehouse website shows Tikka T3 30-06 in stock. Gunbroker has some as well. Sportsman's Warehouse prices are much better. Probably like Cabelas. I'd see about having them ship one to your local shop.

I’ll go look!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    While I have enjoyed fiddling with all the various cartridges and who knows how many rifles over the years, I could have taken everything I have hunted with a 30-06. The money saved...
    The reason that there are few affluent riflemen is they spent it all on rifles.

My only .30-06 became a 9.3x62 and now I have three of them. .308 rifles do what I want in the eastern deer woods without issue and for some reason multiply like rabbits in the gun safe. I own and use a bunch of different rifles in a myriad of cartridges, “Hello, my name is Rick and I’m a rifle addict”.

If my house burnt down today I’d buy a new Winchester M70 or Ruger M77 in .308 in blue steel/walnut, clamp a 3-9x Leupold on it and drive on. At NORMAL hunting distances in the eastern forests wood stocks are just fine. As the seasons go by wood and blued steel acquire a patina of memories that just grows on you.

Buy a rifle you enjoy shooting without an earsplittinloudnboomer brake and that isn’t too heavy to carry or too light to shoot well. Then go to the range to shoot it and go chase Bambi for a while to see what fits you.
    Last edited by Rick R; 02-28-2021 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Clarity

Sounds to me like a 6.5 creedmoor would fit that bill well too in my state. SOft recoil. Very available in normal times. Good on white tail. Practice doesn’t kill you or cost a fortune. Very accurate. Rifle#2 can be the death ray magnum if I go that route.

Getting down to sako a7, Bergara wilderness ridge and tikka, in 6.5.

Europtic is a dangerous place. My wife and I walked in there last week and she promptly laid eyes on a new M98 Mauser sporting rifle in 8x57mm for $12,000 that she now likes. Yes boys, I found the perfect woman for me years ago.

Wow that’s intense. Looks like the Bergara tikka and sako all have 2 position safety. 3 would be nice. Sauer has 3 as does the Mauser but idk if it’s worth stepping down to get it. All 3 of those and 6.5 make for a nice pkg.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Europtic is a dangerous place. My wife and I walked in there last week and she promptly laid eyes on a new M98 Mauser sporting rifle in 8x57mm for $12,000 that she now likes. Yes boys, I found the perfect woman for me years ago.
    Did that belong to some renowned African hunter? You need to get a story with it for 12K.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Wow that’s intense. Looks like the Bergara tikka and sako all have 2 position safety. 3 would be nice. Sauer has 3 as does the Mauser but idk if it’s worth stepping down to get it. All 3 of those and 6.5 make for a nice pkg.
    Not sure what the function of a 3 position safety is. Does it allow working the bolt in safe mode? I probably knew at one time.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Yes. Some lock the bolt when in safety and some don’t. Bergara allows bolt manipulation in safety but has no bolt lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Did that belong to some renowned African hunter? You need to get a story with it for 12K.
    Nope. That's how much a new Mauser 98 costs. Makes Dakota rifles look like a bargain.

User Tag List