Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting bolt gun

I don't see it mentioned here--

NewYork, do you have any friends who are hunters? If so, it might be nice for you to actually shoot a caliber or two before you buy.

Just me, but I would not do anything other than 30-06 or .270 for a first hunting rifle. Why? Here begins a very short story. NewYork buys his first rifle, gets it scoped, and then finds out he really enjoys hunting. He starts planning trips here and there, including places where he might spend a few nights out in the boonies. One of these trips NewYork get to the lease, or the camp, or wherever his bedroll is going to be and discovers he has no ammunition. He swore he packed everything but then recalls after the recent trip to the range he left his cartridges on the work bench at the house (or on top of the refrigerator in the garage, the kitchen table, or wherever else one might leave a box of ammo). Well dang. It's at least a 30 minute drive into the nearest town that only has one store that sells just a bit of everything: hardware, clothes, yard tools, lumber, fried burritos, and bait and tackle, including live minnows. Luckily, this place also sells ammunition. At a place like this, you have a decent chance of finding 30-06 and .270.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

I have a couple. I’ve shot 308 and .17hmr bolts only. Oh, and I think a 300WM (not great hahaha). The 308 was a breeze. I don’t have any local buddies with a 3006 other than a Garand. I like your thinking though.

I just checked Bergara. Wilderness hunter is $800 on GB. Ridge was $1000. Neither come in 3006 but they do in 308, 6.5 creed, 6.5 prc, 300 wm and I think 300 prc? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I don't see it mentioned here--

NewYork, do you have any friends who are hunters? If so, it might be nice for you to actually shoot a caliber or two before you buy.

Just me, but I would not do anything other than 30-06 or .270 for a first hunting rifle. Why? Here begins a very short story. NewYork buys his first rifle, gets it scoped, and then finds out he really enjoys hunting. He starts planning trips here and there, including places where he might spend a few nights out in the boonies. One of these trips NewYork get to the lease, or the camp, or wherever his bedroll is going to be and discovers he has no ammunition. He swore he packed everything but then recalls after the recent trip to the range he left his cartridges on the work bench at the house (or on top of the refrigerator in the garage, the kitchen table, or wherever else one might leave a box of ammo). Well dang. It's at least a 30 minute drive into the nearest town that only has one store that sells just a bit of everything: hardware, clothes, yard tools, lumber, fried burritos, and bait and tackle, including live minnows. Luckily, this place also sells ammunition. At a place like this, you have a decent chance of finding 30-06 and .270.
    Lately, 6.5 CM has been as common as 30-06 in those sorts of stores when I look. Well, lately meaning before the drought but still. I think the list of commonly available in a bait/tire/gas store ammunition should be updated.

The 308 and 30-06 are basically twins.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I favor the Ruger 77, or 77RL.

The RL I have weighs 6.5 pounds with scope and sling.
    Very accurate until the barrel heats up.
    Does not get as heavy at the end of the day as my other
    rifles do.

This is the rifle I'm taking hunting this summer. Tikka T3x in 30-06. It has a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 mm BRH scope. It weighs 7.7 lbs as seen below. I have both 3 and 5 round magazines of it. I installed the vertical pistol grip for it. It shoots 0.66" groups with my handload (Barnes TTSX 180 gr. over 56.8 gr of H4350 @ about 2815 fps). Barnes Vortex 180 gr TTSX factory ammo is about 0.79" and comes out at 2760 fps.The whole package cost me $1300. I shoot mainly standing with shooting sticks and crouching. It is comfortable to shoot but feel that minor thump. I have a .308 version with a lighter optic and it thumps less.

Name:  Tikka t3x 1.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  97.7 KB

That’s a fantastic set up right there

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    That’s a fantastic set up right there
    Yes, it is. You could do far worse than copying it to the last detail.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

The .30-06 is 100-200 FPS faster than a .308 Winchester in the heavier bullet weights. That matters at longer ranges.

User Tag List