Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting bolt gun

Figured I might chime in with something I haven’t seen mentioned yet... my primary hunting bolt gun is a Browning AB3 Stalker in 6.5 Creedmoor. I got the micro version since I’m short statured. I topped it with a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 in Talley one piece rings. It’s a shooter and it doesn’t beat me up. I’ve taken a few white tails with it and have been very pleased with the gun. It’s not quite as nice as my original A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in .30-06, but I wanted something that didn’t kick quite as hard. I can’t speak to the ammo availability right now, so that might be a sticking point. I have 60 rounds of Hornady Precision Hunter ammo squirreled away, so as a strictly hunting season rifle, I should be good to go until the ammo drought lets up.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    What manufacturer have you settled on and like most?

Any Sauer experience?
    Zero experience with Sauer. Always wanted an SSG, but never got around to it.

I currently own, (including the wife and kids), Howa, Ruger, Browning, Savage, Remington and Bergara. I prefer the Bergaras above all others. I hate chasing a load for a finicky rifle. I am either really lucky or the Bergaras are the least finicky rifles I have ever bought, including custom guns. Bergara barrels are essentially honed as the rifling is cut. They have an awesome interior finish that rivals a lapped barrel.

Bergara B14 HMR in .22-250, the first load tried. 1.627" group at 402 yards.

Name:  IMG_0887 (1).jpg
Views: 278
Size:  68.2 KB

Bergara B14 Ridge. 7mm Rem Mag, 162 ELDx over H1000. One run through a Satterlee ladder to find a node. Picked a load from within the node and loaded a few. This was the last two shots I had with me fired at a steel plate at 905 yards.

Name:  IMG_2112 (1).jpg
Views: 264
Size:  40.5 KB

Even in a standard cartridge like the 6.5 "Manbun," it buys you a little more space for the longest bullets if you want to play that way.
    Is that the new Hornady cartridge I've read so much about?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Checked 2 shops. Any others are really far. One shop has a Steyr scout and a bull bbl Howa which was too heavy. He has some savages I’m not into.

The other one had Christiansen, weatherby in 300 Weatherby, bull bbl tikka 308, 2 boat anchor Bergara, a $1500 m70 in camo and the JP Sauer. So far my favorite 3 were the weatherby if it were in a better cal, the Sauer and the Steyr. The tikka felt fantastic but it had a bull bbl.
    Looking in local shops is your problem. I'm all for supporting local businesses, but I can't really justify paying 30-50 percent more or limiting myself to the slim pickings on the shelves where I happen to live to do so. Go on Gun Broker or gun.deals and find the best deal nationally, get it shipped to an FFL near you for the transfer. I don't think I've seen an FFL that won't do a transfer, but it does pay to shop around on transfer fees. There are a couple FFLs near here who realize that they really just can't compete with the universe of online selling, either in price for common stuff or selection and availability of more unusual stuff. Let the customer spend the hours searching and finding the deal. They are perfectly happy to take $15-20 for a few minutes of paperwork with zero inventory overheads, and the vast majority of entries in their bound books are things that they never owned.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Is that the new Hornady cartridge I've read so much about?
    @Lost River had a whole thread about his new Tikka so chambered in the past year or so.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

In regards to mounts, here are a couple of pics of Talleys. I guess I am not totally sure that there are not pic rail combos out there that would get it just as low. I personally hate having a one-piece mount on a hunting rifle. I don't like them hovering near the ejection port, even when shaped around it.

Bergaras with Talleys

Name:  IMG_4985.jpg
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4987.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  96.0 KB

I did forget when I made my first post about the Talleys, that one of my mountain rifles came from the factory with the holes drilled in a pattern that is not in line with the bore axis. I could not use Talleys on this without re-drilling and tapping the receiver because Talley does not recommend lapping or line reaming. On it, I used dual dovetail bases with Burris Signature rings with the Posi-align bushings to mount the Cabela's branded Meopta Meostar. So far it has held up fine through a number of hunts.

Name:  IMG_4986.jpg
Size:  89.3 KB

Site Supporter
    A standard bolt action in a standard hunting caliber with a variable scope ranging from 2 or 3x on the bottom to 7-10x on the top is such a generally useful, efficient, and effective tool that you should definitely have one. Or two or three, for that matter.

I have two currently: my first, a Savage 11 in .243 Win. Works, wasn’t too expensive to get or set up. Bolt is smoother functioning than any Remington 700 Express I’ve handled or fired, but clunky and awkward feeling compared directly to a Tikka, an older 700 BDL, or my new favorite (and second centerfire hunting rifle I’ve owned rather than borrowed) Winchester M70 in .270 Winchester. Both have 3-9x scopes that weren’t too expensive, and will shoot 1” or better groups reliably with the right bullets, 1.5-2” groups with less liked loads. Talley one piece rings are on the Winchester at the suggestion of @GJM, and have worked beautifully. Burris Signature Zee are on the Savage, no complaints.

.243 is better as a deer/coyote/groundhog rifle than as a deer/bear/elk/moose rifle. .270 kicks quite a bit more, but can be downloaded and still be effective on deer and coyotes, with the elk and other large animals not being too much for it with stouter loads.

.308 is generally a safe and effective choice, as well.

The 2 Bergara at the shop were very nice. It’s too bad they were heavy as hell. Is there a model that is a hunting set up from them that isn’t heavy and doesn’t have a blued bbl ?

The 2 Bergara at the shop were very nice. It’s too bad they were heavy as hell. Is there a model that is a hunting set up from them that isn’t heavy and doesn’t have a blued bbl ?
    The Ridge and the Hunter are in the 7.1 to 7.9 range. That is about where you wanted to be to mitigate recoil, isn't it? Mine are cerakoted, not blued.

Side note. Stainless rifles are great, but I have had mine bead blasted to matte because they were so damn shiny.

Both of those models look fantastic.

User Tag List