Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting bolt gun

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    If one were dumb enough to go further like $1200, how about Christiansen? Or anything else that $1000 is so close to but not getting there?

Or is $1000 starting to hit the point of diminishing returns?
    I wouldn't. The only thing where going up in cost is better is optics. Most of the cost goes into things that may not affect your hunt as much like how fine the stock is or replacing all plastic stuff with metal. For example, before getting the Tikka, I was considering getting a Sako Finnlight in 30-06. That gun alone was $1600. It had a nicer stock, everything was metal and the finish (no pun intended) was nice. You would feel proud to own that gun. Each Sako metal magazine was $128 and I seriously doubted it could outshoot the Tikka. So shoved my pride outta way and got the T3x and used the difference to get the scope. Now glass, over a $1000 would not be crazy....

Good I’m glad. I didn’t want to. Basically I’m at sako a7, Bergara wilderness or tikka. Still flopping on 6.5/308/30-06. Wouldn’t mind the 2 rifle idea over time so 6.5 wouldn’t suck first.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you're really down with getting a second rifle later to head out west and hunt big stuff, you could end this thread and start a new one on "setting up my new rifle and finding ammo" with that 6.5 Tikka and optic linked at Eurooptic earlier in the thread and be done. It wouldn't be wrong.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I think I’ll do just that.

I’m still playing with the sako, Bergara or tikka but there will definitely be a thread for setting her up.

I’m super tempted to go with the sako or Bergara for some reason. The sako has had much praise and is $900 vs it’s $1200 normal price

The tikka has a blued barrel I think. It is $700 though. Also sub 6lbs. Stainless would’ve been nice.

Site Supporter
    I think I’ll do just that.

I’m still playing with the sako, Bergara or tikka but there will definitely be a thread for setting her up.

I’m super tempted to go with the sako or Bergara for some reason. The sako has had much praise and is $900 vs it’s $1200 normal price

The tikka has a blued barrel I think. It is $700 though. Also sub 6lbs. Stainless would’ve been nice.
    Blue won’t hurt you. You do need to clean and oil it after weather exposure, and it will show scars from use over time. Clean, and wax before use, and you won’t likely need to be afraid of rust.

Good I’m glad. I didn’t want to. Basically I’m at sako a7, Bergara wilderness or tikka. Still flopping on 6.5/308/30-06. Wouldn’t mind the 2 rifle idea over time so 6.5 wouldn’t suck first.
    One thing to consider when selecting a caliber such as 6.5mm or any boutique latest rage ammunition, it is doubtful for example RT-17, exist 100 in Liberty you are going to find anything 6mm, but a dusty box of 30.06 even in todays times will be located easily. Ya we all say "we ain't that guy", until we are that guy or he is a hunting companion you are traveling with.
    Last edited by SD; 03-01-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    One thing to consider when selecting a caliber such as 6.5mm or any boutique latest rage ammunition, it is doubtful for example existing RT-17, exist 100 in Liberty you are going to find anything 6mm, but a dusty box of 30.06 even in todays times will be located easily.
    Around here, 308 and 30-06 vanished by Thanksgiving. 270 and 7mm Magnum were gone by Christmas. There are a few boxes of oddballs like 7-30 Waters and 38-40 but that's about it.

Dry firing is still widely available, though.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Completely agree with you, and Im very much hoping that things will somewhat normalize before this years big game hunting begins.Some unusual times for sourcing ammunition of any kind currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Around here, 308 and 30-06 vanished by Thanksgiving. 270 and 7mm Magnum were gone by Christmas. There are a few boxes of oddballs like 7-30 Waters and 38-40 but that's about it.

Dry firing is still widely available, though.

Okie John

Burris xtr II 3-15x 34mm tube blemish on sale at Natchez $699

https://www.natchezss.com/blemished-...ffp-matte.html

I don’t know if that’s the kind of scope your looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

User Tag List