Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting bolt gun

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Did that belong to some renowned African hunter? You need to get a story with it for 12K.
    The brand new Mauser M98 rifles are “pricey”. The new Rigby Highland Stalker in .30-06 beside the Mauser was $10K.
    After handling those rifles the Sako, Tikka and Bergara rifles seemed quite reasonable at $1,000 to $3,000.

The Bergara HMR looks really cool. Bridges the precision/hunter gap but it’s 9.5lbs.

Sako A7 vs Bergara Wilderness Ridge

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Wow that’s intense. Looks like the Bergara tikka and sako all have 2 position safety. 3 would be nice. Sauer has 3 as does the Mauser but idk if it’s worth stepping down to get it. All 3 of those and 6.5 make for a nice pkg.
    j

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Not sure what the function of a 3 position safety is. Does it allow working the bolt in safe mode? I probably knew at one time.
    Winchester Model 70 has a three position wing safety on the bolt that locks/blocks the firing pin except when in fire position. The mid position allows for cycling the bolt on safe with a firing pin that cannot hit a primer. Other systems may not allow for the same, even if they are three position.

That point can start some fights on hunting forums almost as quickly as “does CRF matter?”

Just learned the sako has a separate button to allow it.

I saw this at Kygunco while looking for something else: CZ 557 Sporter in 30-06 with a Manners EHS stock (carbon fiber). Its barrel is a little shorter than usual at 20.5 inches. It weighs 6.5 lbs so you can put a heavy ass scope and still be under 8 lbs. You'll kill anything in the CONUS within 400 yards with this. It is blued which may be a deal killer. It is just over your $1000 budget but shipping is free and they don't collect sales tax. A Manners stock ala carte is around $700.

That’s pretty bad ass. Blue. Hmmm. Idk. Like the looks but...

I was trying to avoid blued and if I don’t adhere to my budget it’ll get ugly for me.

If one were dumb enough to go further like $1200, how about Christiansen? Or anything else that $1000 is so close to but not getting there?

Or is $1000 starting to hit the point of diminishing returns?

User Tag List