Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Can't take a life article

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    I'm pretty shure it is the same guy who stabbed the us soldier. I just re-watched it like two or three months ago so its relatively fresh in my mind.
    Two different soldiers/characters.

Guy that Upham kills ("Steamboat Willie")...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120815...ttfc_fc_cl_t13

Guy that kills Mellish...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0826147/...tfc_fc_cl_t100

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post

Ooohhhh yeeaahh! It was the guy that they let go earlier in the movie! I knew he was a recurring character of some sort.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post

I’ll be damned. I thought it was all the same guy. I thought that was why he let Upham live on the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I’ll be damned. I thought it was all the same guy. I thought that was why he let Upham live on the stairs.
    Been a while since I've seen it but my memory is that letting Upham live was a gesture of supreme contempt - he wasn't even worth killing.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    I'm pretty shure it is the same guy who stabbed the us soldier. I just re-watched it like two or three months ago so its relatively fresh in my mind.
    The soldier Upham shoots at the end is the one they let go at the radar installation. The German soldier who kills Mellish isn't seen in any other scene.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    Been a while since I've seen it but my memory is that letting Upham live was a gesture of supreme contempt - he wasn't even worth killing.
    Correct, Upham simply wasn't worth his time.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    He could see Upham's cowardice and knew he wasn't a threat. I think that's what finally spurred Upham to shoot Steamboat Willie, although in my eyes it doesn't redeem him...he does it when there's absolutely no risk of peril to himself. In fact, while Upham is hiding and watching Steamboat Willie and the other Germans firing at the Rangers across the bridge, if I remember correctly they show a shot of Steamboat Willie firing his K98 and the camera angle is showing his sights...and I believe Capt. Miller is the target (blurry in the scene). Upham could have acted sooner and possibly saved some of the Rangers, but it would have meant manning up...and he didn't do it.

*Edit: Looked it up...yep, Steamboat Willie is the one that tags Capt. Miller in the chest. The irony is that Capt. Miller is the one that decided to spare Willie's life earlier.

At the 21 second mark in the video...

Last edited by kwb377; 03-04-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Not only is Upham’s decision to smoke check Steamboat Willie cowardly, it was also criminal.......sadly we have many brave men who are rotting in prison from righteous shoots, but the pussies who pull shit like that always seem to skate free based on twisted perverse interpretations of the totality of the circumstances. In this case, it was just a movie depicting a specific event, but it happens in real life all the time.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ykcor View Post
    I faced that decision early in life as a Christian and it was not something I took lightly. Since Vietnam was going on and I faced joining ROTC. Each person must make that decision for themselves before they carry a gun!!! Honestly, I personally had to wrestle with the issue more than most due to many reasons I will not bother you here but eventually came to the decision that I am a "sheepdog" here to help protect the flock. Since I was a very young child I displayed a natural talent with firearms, hunting, and tracking. I have been accused of being a "Boy Scout" in an unflattering since but I am actually an Eagle Scout with extremely High Moral Valves I know and admit exceeds those of average people. I spent three years training in a Counter Insurgency Unit run by the Green Berets as part of our ROTC program where they said they were going to teach us to "do to the VC what the VC do to everyone else". I wanted an Infantry slot when I graduated but was denied because a fellow ROTC cadet tried to get out of going in the Army by joining the local police force and claiming a exemption to service. That angered the Professor of Military Science and since there was only one Infantry slot left he decided to hold it for him when the Army lawyers go through him. I tried my best to get the Professor of Military Science to let me have the slot to no avail. My second cousin was a Major General in the Airborne Infantry which is where I aspired to go. NO Luck, I ended up in Air Defense Artillery, which was about as far from where I want as I could get and still be technically in a "combat branch."

After I got out of the regular army and resigned my commission. I joined the only US Army National Guard Airborne Infantry unit. They offered me my commission back but I refused and went in as an E-5. I promised my Captain, who I found out had done three combat tours in Nam, that after a year if he still wanted me as an officer I would accept my commission back. Before the year was up "Solider of Fortune" magazine did an article on our unit and rated us as more combat ready than all the regular Army units except the 101st and 82nd Airborne. It embarrassed the Pentagon Brass so they disbanded our unit that was centered in Texas and moved it to California for years until such time they found there were not enough volunteers in California so had to eventually move it back to Texas. I was done though. No more games with peoples' lives for me. The Army Guard had placed me in an Army Guard MASH unit for the remainder of my time. What a FARCE! The head nurse could not make summer camp because she was to far pregnant and no one was sure who in the unit the father was (It was like an episode out of the TV show MASH). I was the ONLY "Combat Qualified Solider" in the unit. NO MORE FOR ME I WAS THROUGH!!!
    Cool Story Bro.....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Cool Story Bro.....
    Did he break the internet, or, what?

Name:  DATABASE ERROR.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  40.5 KB

User Tag List