Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 870p police trades at Sportsman's Outdoor

Site Supporter
    Does the police trade in aspect increase or decrease the value? I saw a new Mossberg 590A1 at the local shop for less than that a couple days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Does the police trade in aspect increase or decrease the value? I saw a new Mossberg 590A1 at the local shop for less than that a couple days ago.
    It's not so much the police trade in aspect. Rather, it's that these are Police Magnum models. That means they were built on a different line at the factory with better QA controls and better parts. The 590A1 is roughly equivalent in Mossberg guise. Depending on the guns themselves, there may be some department specific stamping somewhere on them that has some value to a prospective purchaser, but mostly it's just the knowledge of getting a mechanically sound gun that probably has mostly cosmetic wear.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    It's not so much the police trade in aspect. Rather, it's that these are Police Magnum models. That means they were built on a different line at the factory with better QA controls and better parts. The 590A1 is roughly equivalent in Mossberg guise. Depending on the guns themselves, there may be some department specific stamping somewhere on them that has some value to a prospective purchaser, but mostly it's just the knowledge of getting a mechanically sound gun that probably has mostly cosmetic wear.
    Thanks, makes sense.

GT Distributors has a few rifle sighted 870 PMs from what looks like the early 00's for $339

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    GT Distributors has a few rifle sighted 870 PMs from what looks like the early 00's for $339
    I assume, based on your location, the shotguns are at the Dallas store?
    The "early 00's" based on barrel date codes?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Do they sell to non-LEOs? I know they were pretty persnickety about ammo that way, when there was ammo to sell.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Do they sell to non-LEOs? I know they were pretty persnickety about ammo that way, when there was ammo to sell.
    In general they do sell to civilians but keep in mind, they are a Police Supply store that also sells guns snd ammo, not a gun store.

If you are referring to the current ammo shortage, LE is their primary customer base. GT reserving ammo for the people who buy all of their flashlights uniforms etc. from them is no different then a shooting range only selling to range patrons or a gun store only selling limited supplies of ammo to people buying a firearm.

If you are referring to GT following manufacturers restrictions on selling ammo designated LE only like Speers deal with 50 round boxes of duty ammo or TAP, again selling LE ammo to LE agencies and LEOs is part of their core business. If you want to be a Speer or Hornady LE ammo dealer you have to follow Speer and Hornady’s rules.

There is nothing persnickety about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Those look like they were cached in a bridge troll’s ass. I agree that the old reality would see a sticker well under 3 bills, but it isn’t 2015 any more.
    I think you're being a bit too kind.

Site Supporter
    @HCM - Thanks for the clarification. I was referring to the pre-Covid era policy.

I'll be in the Dallas area in a couple of weeks for a class with Bolke & Dobbs, and could manage to get there early enough to run by the store to see if they have any left. I'm pretty sure the law says non-Texas residents can legally buy long guns. Do you (or does anyone else) know if their store policy permits this?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @HCM - Thanks for the clarification. I was referring to the pre-Covid era policy.

I'll be in the Dallas area in a couple of weeks for a class with Bolke & Dobbs, and could manage to get there early enough to run by the store to see if they have any left. I'm pretty sure the law says non-Texas residents can legally buy long guns. Do you (or does anyone else) know if their store policy permits this?
    I don’t but one thing about both the GT location in Dallas and Austin is they constantly have stuff going in and out.

Not only do they take trade-ins of department weapons but they buy seizure guns from some departments as well.

As far as their business model, they try to be a one stop source for smaller departments so if it department can’t get gold that duty ammo from GT anymore they may also look elsewhere for their uniforms, body armor, etc.

User Tag List