Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W M1917 on GB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

S&W M1917 on GB

I've gone as high as I feel like going and there's still six hours left, so if anyone's interested:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893322913

(I'm still winning it, but it's at my limit and if I'm going to lose, I'd rather lose to someone on here.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Good luck! Ive been looking on and off for one. My gun funds are waiting for the CMP to do paperwork so im out.

Well great, thanks Stephanie.

Cruising Gunbroker......

Thomas Gill, London Sword Cutler and Gunmaker. 1806-1824 flintlock carry gun. 60 cal. Awesomely proportioned, beautifully built.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889662296

...and yes, its past my price point, so anyone interested, feel free to bid, and let us know how it shoots if you get it.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-27-2021 at 11:19 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

With a AIWB holster you may be way ahead of the rest depending on speculation for limiting large cap. magazines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Cruising Gunbroker......

Thomas Gill, London Sword Cutler and Gunmaker. 1806-1824 flintlock carry gun. 60 cal. Awesomely proportioned, beautifully built.

That's a smart move Stephanie. I saw that one before you posted. The barrel and cylinder doesn't look to be original to the frame. If it were the bid would be up around 1K by now. There's also the stocks which aren't original. I'd say it might be a $500 shooter if you're lucky. Guess we'll find out.

If you win it and don't have any moon clips let me know and I'll sent you some.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-27-2021 at 11:56 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Cruising Gunbroker......

...and yes, its past my price point, so anyone interested, feel free to bid, and let us know how it shoots if you get it.
    One of those pirates https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l-Thread/page3 could probably use that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Those stocks (on the 1917) look kind of like Herrett's Shooting Stars. If they are the real thing instead of some body's knock-offs, they are worth something too. Particularly since Harrett's is out of business.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That's a smart move Stephanie. I saw that one before you posted. The barrel and cylinder doesn't look to be original to the frame. If it were the bid would be up around 1K by now. There's also the stocks which aren't original. I'd say it might be a $500 shooter if you're lucky. Guess we'll find out.

If you win it and don't have any moon clips let me know and I'll sent you some.
    Thanks, but I think I have some half-moons or moons. Not 100% sure. I have my dad's old cut-Webley, which I think shot twice, and it came with clips. I'll have to dig them out if I win this thing. If I win the gun and if it's really a kludged-together gun, then I may think about getting it modded into something more carry-friendly. Maybe have the barrel cut to about 3.5" and round-butt it.

Well, this is probably a place to tell this story:

In the early fifties, Dad was an engineer at the Watertown Arsenal. They did some off-the-books work for the county sheriff. The sheriff made the people involved deputies of some flavor as a thank-you. Dad liked that because he got a badge and he could then talk his way out of traffic tickets.

Anyhoo, the only requirements imposed were to have a gun and be available for emergencies. The emergencies, as far as I know, never happened. Dad went to a gunshop and bought the cheapest thing he could, because he worked for the government and had one or two small kids to feed. The cheapest gun was a Webley Mk.VI that was cut for .45 ACP with moon clips.

Some day, I ought to get some .45 autorim cases, some dies and make up some mouse-fart loads and shoot it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Good luck on the auction, I hope you win! I have one of the 1937 Smiths that was reimported from Brazil, it's a ton of fun. DB traded me some really nice elk stocks that look great on it.

I also have the Smith 1917 Army model that belonged to Pat Rogers. It's specifically called out in my will, of course.

I have some stocks if you need them, and also some third moon, half moon and full moon clips. Hollar if you want to try them.

Again, good luck - I think you will love it!

Well, someone topped my bid, so I'm out.

User Tag List