Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2021: A Speed-Six Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'd bet that a lot of Ruger Speed Six dimensions are very close to those of the K-frame so they could use the same impedimenta like speedloaders and holsters, which means a lot to agencies buying new guns.

Okie John
    It’s most def beefier through the frame that a K gun; this Speedy will go into my JMCK “George” (@gjm) well enough to do in a pinch, but you can see the clamshell getting stretched a little, and it doesn’t “click in” like, say, my 4” M66-1 does.

I will absolutely be taking the speedy on the next hike, so K-popping kydex works, but this thing is heftier than a K. Leather compatibility—as would be period-appropriate—is no issue though. Also, I’m told that the HKS Colt MK3A speedloaders work better than the HKS 10A loaders. Of course, I’m now in a moonclip world, so I wouldn’t know.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    My neighbor, who is a newbie to revolvers, just picked up a SS in 357. Now he wants a FO front sight. I have some HiViz sights on a few of my handguns, So someone said the HiViz for the SP is a slip in fit on the Speed Six. Anyone done that, does that hold true? Gemini customs wondersight, is that a better FO?

These SSes are great old revolvers, Ruger built their DA rep on these things. This SS Odyssey is a walk around the block for me also, as I have very little experience with this generation of Rugers. Adding to the old knowledge base as I follow the OP in his pursuit of SS perfection. I might like a 4" iteration of the SS if I ever find one.
    I have used SP-101 sights on my Ruger GP-100 fixed sight revolver. They should fit, the sight height could be a problem.
    Most front sight blades need to be fitting and the roll pin hole needs to be drilled on the blade.
    Not hard but takes some time.

My neighbor, who is a newbie to revolvers, just picked up a SS in 357. Now he wants a FO front sight. I have some HiViz sights on a few of my handguns, So someone said the HiViz for the SP is a slip in fit on the Speed Six. Anyone done that, does that hold true? Gemini customs wondersight, is that a better FO?

These SSes are great old revolvers, Ruger built their DA rep on these things. This SS Odyssey is a walk around the block for me also, as I have very little experience with this generation of Rugers. Adding to the old knowledge base as I follow the OP in his pursuit of SS perfection. I might like a 4" iteration of the SS if I ever find one.
    Dawson Precision can build a custom fiber optic front sight. They do not list the SP-101 or Speed/Security-Six, but they can build sights for just about any pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'd bet that a lot of Ruger Speed Six dimensions are very close to those of the K-frame so they could use the same impedimenta like speedloaders and holsters, which means a lot to agencies buying new guns.

Okie John
    Let me check- I have pop's 1979 Security Six, and his speed loaders as well.

Aha! The HKS M3 fits well, and the M10 also works, but is a little tight in diameter. Conversely, the M3 is a no-go for a pinned & recessed era model 66.

ETA: Oops, forgot that we were in 1978 Israeli aircrew territory rather than 1978 San Francisco Sheriff's Dept world. Moon away!
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Thanks Whirlwind and farscott, neighbor just ordered a HiViz green for the SP and will fit it to the SS. Should help him index the end of the barrel for defensive shooting. We'll see as to elevation issues, but at close encounter distances shouldn't make too much difference.

Thanks Whirlwind and farscott, neighbor just ordered a HiViz green for the SP and will fit it to the SS. Should help him index the end of the barrel for defensive shooting. We'll see as to elevation issues, but at close encounter distances shouldn't make too much difference.
    Definitely interested in the results. Please update? Thanks!

On into the journey; my neighbor ordered the sight and we're waiting it's arrival. He told me after he ordered that he had Midway throw in some Safariland Speedloaders for a Security Six. Didn't know such things were ever made? Of course Larry and the boys charged him for the speedloaders. Awaiting snail mail.

Speaking of sights...

What is the rear sight notch like on the Speed Sixes? My aging eyes find it difficult to deal with the fixed sight notch on K-frame Smiths and I prefer adjustable sights on those. I want to pick up a clone of your revolver (I doubt I'll find such a deal) and don't know if the Service Six was offered in 9 mm.
    My apologies to weasels.

He told me after he ordered that he had Midway throw in some Safariland Speedloaders for a Security Six. Didn't know such things were ever made?
    I can confirm that Safariland Comp II's work fine with a .357 Speed Six. The exact model doesn't appear to be marked anywhere on the loader, but I think it is J-R4C.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    What is the rear sight notch like on the Speed Sixes?
    It's a pretty decent sight picture. I find the rear notch to be good to go, even when shooting in low light. The front sight is more problematic for me than the rear.

Name:  IMG_20210307_154436.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  42.1 KB
    Last edited by That Guy; 03-07-2021 at 08:48 AM. Reason: replaced attached picture with a better one.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List