Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just bought a Smith and Wesson with. 3 inch barrel....I have a few questions

I just bought a Smith and Wesson with. 3 inch barrel....I have a few questions

I just a 640 like I said. The baby hasn't arrived yet but I am getting ready for her. The question I have is this. The gun is a 38 sp. I have 10 boxes of Winchester p loads that shoot at 945fps. Can I shoot these loads out of this gun or are these to hot.

When I get the gun I will post pics and more questions.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Not for the gun. But I find that +P ammo in an Airweight is too hit for me.

YMMV.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Not for the gun. But I find that +P ammo in an Airweight is too hit for me.

YMMV.
    @i might just have to load up some wad cutters to shoot.....I can't wait.

I thought the 640 was a steel frame .357.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    The 640 is indeed an all steel gun. Your subjective experience will depend on the grips, your hand size, and your tolerance for recoil, but it is entirely possible you'll find +p loads out of that gun comfortable enough to make them a habit. If not, there ain't nothing wrong with wadcutters.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    It is. Around 22 to 23 ounces unloaded. The original 640 was a .38. As I recall they were +P rated from day one. The 640-2 is also a .38 though actually +P+ rated. We have a 640-1 which, along with the 640-3, is the slightly bigger J Magnum version. That extra half-ish pound makes a lot of difference in recoil compared to an Airweight. And comparitively also make it feel positively brick-like in pocket carry.
    Last edited by Half Moon; 03-25-2021 at 07:25 PM.

I will get my funs worth out of the gun. With coved I was able to save money by not being able to do much. So I treated myself. Like I said when I get it I will have to post pics. Got I feel like a 13 year old who just got a new bike.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Sorry, I was thinking of the 642. A 3” 60 is a joy to shoot.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Sorry, I was thinking of the 642. A 3” 60 is a joy to shoot.
    Yeah, it's weird the difference that extra inch makes. Shot a rental Model 60 J Magnum with 158 grain .357 a few years back. It was actually tolerable though I wouldn't want to make a whole range session out of it. Our 2 1/8" 640 by contrast is downright nasty with Magnums. The weights aren't that different so gotta figure the little bit of extra barrel changes the leverage and balance just enough...

I carry a 60 with a bobbed hammer pretty often. I would love a fixed sighted 3” j frame. I think it would be the perfect j frame. Of course it would then be a belt gun instead of pocket gun.

User Tag List