Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3,1nch skinny barrel

Like this?

Name:  BB59F84A-4570-45E8-98E7-FDEFA1EB6BD5.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  66.5 KB

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Like this?

Okie John
    <stabs at like button repeatedly>
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Like this?

Okie John
    I’d be watching old episodes of Highway Patrol while dryfiring till my finger couldn’t move if I had that.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

It was probably a six-inch originally. You can tell it's been cut by the placement of the lettering, but somebody managed to get that half-moon front sight back where it belongs.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    IIRC back after WW2 they re-imported some S&W revolvers in 38 S&W, cut the barrels back to 3" or so and silver soldered a front sight on. Gunsmiths used to silver solder sights on all the time.
    Interesting. I wonder why you don't see much of that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Interesting. I wonder why you don't see much of that anymore.

!, We dont have piles of cheap surplus guns to work on any more.

2, We dont have as many real old school gunsmiths.

3, Theres more choices in factory available guns to choose from.

4, Not as many people wanting to chop and change things.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    !, We dont have piles of cheap surplus guns to work on any more.

2, We dont have as many real old school gunsmiths.

3, Theres more choices in factory available guns to choose from.

4, Not as many people wanting to chop and change things.
    All true. Add to that list that labor is the most expensive part of the equation now.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I have a Victory model barrel that has been chopped to about 3" with a front sight soldered in place. It came loosely screwed into a pinless model 10 frame and I just need a smith to get it to properly clock and permanently mount the thing.

Handling it dry, I do prefer the set-up to a bull barrel. It also looks great:

That is lovely. The barrel has to be timed (clocked) and then the barrel/cylinder gap has to checked and fitted if needed. With the barrel loose like that, I'd check the crown and the throat. Easy to do with the barrel out of the frame. It's interesting how many barrels get a small nick or gouge right in the muzzle and boy, they are not your friend.

I just finished doing just that to a 10-5 and rounded the square butt. I like it. I thought about shortening the barrel to be like yours but didn't. After seeing yours though, I'm beginning to re-think. I've done that to a horribly abused 1937 Brazilian. You have to shorten the front sight a bit after you remove it, but then it just solders back on no sweat. You're evil.

Cat

There is another option not yet mentioned. I've seen it done twice, once on a Colt Police Positive Special which I wish I had purchased, and the second time on a 2nd Model Hand Ejector which I now own.

After the barrel is shortened, a thicker band of steel is added right at the muzzle. It is thick enough to be machined into a front sight base, and then the chosen sight blade is added to the dovetail or slot or whatever the chosen installation method requires.

I think the result is rather cool looking. After 10 minutes of internet searching I can report failure. I have no picture to show this.

Bart Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Noir View Post
    There is another option not yet mentioned. I've seen it done twice, once on a Colt Police Positive Special which I wish I had purchased, and the second time on a 2nd Model Hand Ejector which I now own.

After the barrel is shortened, a thicker band of steel is added right at the muzzle. It is thick enough to be machined into a front sight base, and then the chosen sight blade is added to the dovetail or slot or whatever the chosen installation method requires.

I think the result is rather cool looking. After 10 minutes of internet searching I can report failure. I have no picture to show this.

Bart Noir
    Ive never seen that on DA but have seen a fair amount of SA guns with that done.

Im sure its as cool looking

User Tag List