Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3,1nch skinny barrel

3,1nch skinny barrel

After seeing the recent posts with the 3 inch k frames, I wondered if anyone here has cut a skinny barrel model 10 back to inches? How did it work out?

Thanks

The Archives at https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ is a good place to see what has already been done.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Rodmaker View Post
    After seeing the recent posts with the 3 inch k frames, I wondered if anyone here has cut a skinny barrel model 10 back to inches? How did it work out?

Thanks
    TBH I don't know that you're going to be able to reattach that front sight. Or even fabricate one. Before being pinned the front sights were part of the forging. After being cut I think you'd have to weld on a replacement and that might present a problem.

I know a guy who had a similar-ish idea. He tried to get I think it was Jack Weigand (years ago) to put a different front sight base on his mountain gun and was told no. Said there wasn't enough metal there to work with.

So I actually just talked to Karl sokol about this (well..emailed him about it) I had a heavy barrel for him to put on a model 10 and the one I sent with the gun was all goobered up from the previous owner. I asked him if he could cut a standard tapered barrel to 3" and still install the dovetail sights i wanted on the gun. He replied that there is not enough meat on the barrel to do that in a typical fashion but he has done a special dovetail cut and modified sight for a client who wanted a unique revolver. So apparently yes it can be done but it takes special modifications to the sight as well as the barrel.
    I wound up finding a heavy barrel that was usable and just going with that instead.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    So I actually just talked to Karl sokol about this (well..emailed him about it) I had a heavy barrel for him to put on a model 10 and the one I sent with the gun was all goobered up from the previous owner. I asked him if he could cut a standard tapered barrel to 3" and still install the dovetail sights i wanted on the gun. He replied that there is not enough meat on the barrel to do that in a typical fashion but he has done a special dovetail cut and modified sight for a client who wanted a unique revolver. So apparently yes it can be done but it takes special modifications to the sight as well as the barrel.
    I wound up finding a heavy barrel that was usable and just going with that instead.
    Yow. That sounds like it's on the raggedy edge of a 3" gun with a dovetail front sight and a 3" gun with a brand new one port comp where the sight used to be.

I wouldn't have a lesser gunsmith than him try it, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Yow. That sounds like it's on the raggedy edge of a 3" gun with a dovetail front sight and a 3" gun with a brand new one port comp where the sight used to be.

I wouldn't have a lesser gunsmith than him try it, that's for sure.
    I'm pretty excited to get it back. I sent him one of the J&G model 10 frames with a bull barrel and he's going to town on it. Ill pist it in 03RN's thread when its finally in hand.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

I have a Victory model barrel that has been chopped to about 3" with a front sight soldered in place. It came loosely screwed into a pinless model 10 frame and I just need a smith to get it to properly clock and permanently mount the thing.

Handling it dry, I do prefer the set-up to a bull barrel. It also looks great:

I'd have preferred a standard barrel but am pretty happy with the barrel I did find for $20. It must of been a 6-8" m15 barrel pre cut numrichs was selling. Not quit as heavy as a heavy barreled m10 but enough meat for a dovetail.

I dont see why a sight couldn't be silver soldered on.

Ed McGivern among others had skinny barrel M&P 38s/model 10s cut and the sight re-attached. The original sight could be milled to the correct contour and height and low temp silver soldered back on. Some of the 1917 45s were also so cut and sight re-attached.

The Winchester 92 carbines in 44-40 had fairly thin barrel walls yet had the front sight stud silver brazed on. They also had a shallow dovetail and were peened in place before silver brazing, they were about bombproof. Some were also made machined from the same stock as the barrel. Ive had similar early carbine type front sight bases made and only low temp silver soldered on 30-30 barrels, they are strong.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I have a Victory model barrel that has been chopped to about 3" with a front sight soldered in place. It came loosely screwed into a pinless model 10 frame and I just need a smith to get it to properly clock and permanently mount the thing.

Handling it dry, I do prefer the set-up to a bull barrel. It also looks great:

It sounds like your barrel needs to have the shoulder turned back enough to let it torque correctly. I think brownells had a tool to do that without a lathe.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I dont see why a sight couldn't be silver soldered on.
    IIRC back after WW2 they re-imported some S&W revolvers in 38 S&W, cut the barrels back to 3" or so and silver soldered a front sight on. Gunsmiths used to silver solder sights on all the time.

I looked at one in a gunshop one time. The revolver looked pretty crude, so I didn't buy it.

User Tag List