Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ammo pricing dealer cost sheet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    It might be that dealers are selling most of the ammo they get to LE at their usual mark up. Just a guess.
    No.

LE Agencies of any size buy ammo in bulk directly from ammo manufacturers either via direct contracts or in some states smaller agencies can buy via a piggybacking on a state contract. Either way, while the price is fixed for the duration of the contract, even large LE agencies are experiencing significant delays in delivery. Nor has LE ammo consumption increased. rather many agencies have reduced or restricted discretionary live fire training to ensure they have enough on hand for mandatory training because they don't know how long it will take to backfill what ever they expend.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I wish...

Just decided against a training course I really want to go to because I can't justify using $1k of ammo for a 2-day course.
    Did you ask for ammo or ask them to cover part of the cost in $$$.

IME getting ammo for a course I'm taking on my own time/ dime is easiest, followed by getting to go on the clock / no per diem detail.

For what ever reason hose are usually an easier sell than $$$ for tuition or travel expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Did you ask for ammo or ask them to cover part of the cost in $$$.

IME getting ammo for a course I'm taking on my own time/ dime is easiest, followed by getting to go on the clock / no per diem detail.

For what ever reason hose are usually an easier sell than $$$ for tuition or travel expenses.
    Asked for whatever they could do, preferably ammo. At least partly some sort of wacko policy thing..."tactical" gun classes for "tactical" people only. I sort of knew that but thought it was worth a shot. An academy class is starting soon and they will go through a lot of ammo. That may have played some role, but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No.

LE Agencies of any size buy ammo in bulk directly from ammo manufacturers either via direct contracts or in some states smaller agencies can buy via a piggybacking on a state contract. Either way, while the price is fixed for the duration of the contract, even large LE agencies are experiencing significant delays in delivery. Nor has LE ammo consumption increased. rather many agencies have reduced or restricted discretionary live fire training to ensure they have enough on hand for mandatory training because they don't know how long it will take to backfill what ever they expend.

That might be true for federal agencies, and some of the larger metro agencies, but most 'state' contracts are either from distributors or direct from smaller manufacturers. It really used to irk me when so and so got the state bid for our shotgun ammo and the ammo was drop shipped from Federal, never having seen so and so's warehouse.

Currently, one of the problems with state and department contracts is that currently manufacturers are loathe to commit to a realistic price for a year due to increased price of components and raw materials.

One manufacturer I know of increased prices for LE at the first of the year thinking they would get through the first half of the year before they would have to do another increase. That didn't work out, and they had another increase a couple days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I wish...

Just decided against a training course I really want to go to because I can't justify using $1k of ammo for a 2-day course.
    I would imagine many instructors are re-jiggering programs and course syllabi to help deal with this type of issue.

I certainly have made an effort to adjust my normal burn rate, despite having a reasonably good supply of training ammo, at least until we get a bit more clarity on future replenishment availability.

In other words, I’m working to do more, with less ammo expended - and i think that will be a necessity until things normalize- whatever “normal” becomes in the future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    That might be true for federal agencies, and some of the larger metro agencies, but most 'state' contracts are either from distributors or direct from smaller manufacturers. It really used to irk me when so and so got the state bid for our shotgun ammo and the ammo was drop shipped from Federal, never having seen so and so's warehouse.

Currently, one of the problems with state and department contracts is that currently manufacturers are loathe to commit to a realistic price for a year due to increased price of components and raw materials.

One manufacturer I know of increased prices for LE at the first of the year thinking they would get through the first half of the year before they would have to do another increase. That didn't work out, and they had another increase a couple days ago.

Not sure how things are done in your state since policing is regional, but the whole idea of having a contract is to lock in prices and the whole idea of having a state contract is to A) allow smaller agencies to avoid the hassle and expense of ammo testing, bidding and contracts; and B) to allow smaller agencies to leverage the buying power of the larger state agencies.

In the two states I'm familiar with, the state contract works just like the FBI/DOJ and DHS ammo contracts. The state does the testing, bidding and contract writing (all of which cost money) to enter into a fixed price, indefinite quantity contract for ammo X. Smaller state and local agencies can then order off the contract and get the same price based on the buying power of the larger state agency without the waste and hassle involved in multiple contracts.

The order may be written through a local dealer or distributor due to politics but regardless of who writes the order, the ammo is drop shipped from the manufacturer so it has no effect on the ammo the distributor has available in their warehouse for commercial sale.

The last ammo bubble was over 5 years ago. A dept or a state contract will provide steady, high volume business long after the current bubble bursts. A manufacturer who ignores that is being very short sighted.

User Tag List