Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEOSA Reform Act (Reintroduction)

LEOSA Reform Act (Reintroduction)

FLEOA Applauds the
    Reintroduction of the LEOSA Reform Act

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    February 24, 2021

WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Larry Cosme, President of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA) - the nation’s largest non-partisan, not-for-profit professional association representing close to 30,000 federal law enforcement officers and agents across 65 federal agencies – expressed our strong support and appreciation to Rep. Don Bacon (NE) Rep Henry Cuellar (TX), Rep John Rutherford (FL), Rep Pete Stauber (MN) for the re-introduction of the LEOSA Reform Act in the 117th Congress:

“The LEOSA Reform Act is critical law enforcement safety legislation. The current federal LEOSA statute uses vague language, allowing some state to seize upon the opportunity to place unlawful and unnecessary burdens on otherwise qualified law enforcement officers. The LEOSA Reform Act will clarify the right of qualified law enforcement officers to carry firearms on covered lands with covered ammunitions. This legislation also allows qualified law enforcement professionals to carry on Gun Free School Zones and reforms qualification standards to alleviate undue burdens which currently exist,” Cosme explained.

“FLEOA has been an architect and staunch supporter of the LEOSA Reform Act. We appreciate the leadership these Representatives have shown by addressing this important safety issue for law enforcement officers,” said Cosme.

Cosme continued, “LEOSA was enacted in 2004 as a clear federal right given to qualified officers to allow them to carry the weapons they have trained with throughout our nation. It was enacted to allow retired and former law enforcement officers to act as a force multiplier in our nation, especially when crimes, such as active shooters, seem to occur without notice and in benign situations.”

Cosme furthered, “Congress passed the original law and has since clarified it twice, increasing its breadth and scope each time. It is imperative Congress do so again to ensure that no state or local jurisdiction can impede the lawful rights bestowed on LEOSA qualified law enforcement officers.”

“We look forward to the swift passage of this law to reaffirm the LEOSA statute as enacted by Congress is indeed the law of the land for LEOSA qualified law enforcement officers. Until this bill is passed into law, FLEOA remains committed to challenging efforts to circumvent federal LEOSA law and working with states to ensure access to this right for all qualified law enforcement personnel,” said Cosme.

The LEOSA Reform Act is supported by 25 professional law enforcement organizations whose memberships equate to representing the majority of law enforcement officers in our nation
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Nice to see it reintroduced, but I'm not holding my breath.....

Just my $.02...

LEOSA, at least locally, needs to be changed, especially for retired officers...here’s why.

In NC, I can obtain my CCW permit for $75 (I think) and carry for 5 years and not have the yearly burden of seeking out, and likely paying, a LEOSA instructor. The going rate for that here is around $100. Then, if it’s my first year, pay $50 to the State after completing the class, which includes class and day and night qualifications and a decision making CoF. Then repeat same thing except I pay $25/year to the State.

It should be the same as CCW permit in that it should be a 5-year qualification...not yearly.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Just my $.02...

LEOSA, at least locally, needs to be changed, especially for retired officers...here’s why.

In NC, I can obtain my CCW permit for $75 (I think) and carry for 5 years and not have the yearly burden of seeking out, and likely paying, a LEOSA instructor. The going rate for that here is around $100. Then, if it’s my first year, pay $50 to the State after completing the class, which includes class and day and night qualifications and a decision making CoF. Then repeat same thing except I pay $25/year to the State.

It should be the same as CCW permit in that it should be a 5-year qualification...not yearly.
    At least in my county, @KeeFus, the sheriff's office only charges half the CCW permit fee for retired LEOs. I have to renew later this year...but I'll still continue doing both since LEOSA protects my right to carry if I visit non-permissive states where some family and friends still reside.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

WoW! Here (in WV) I go back to my old agency, shoot a qualification consisting of 40 rounds and they send me a card good for a year. Cost to me is 40 rounds per gun I want on the card.

CCW permits good for five years are free to retired LEOs.

But in WV we also have Constitutional Carry so anyone who can legally own a gun can carry concealed for free.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Just my $.02...

Been preaching that since it came out brother, and to the commision too. I dont have an issue with annual qualifications. My beef is with the in-service block plus two additional hours of CCH training. LEOSA says "qualify" under the same standards as active officers. How many times over the years have we had it beaten into our heads "training isn't qualification and qualification isn't training". But we both know where (or rather, who) it's coming from.

My Department (IL) supplies 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45acp ammunition. No cost to attend. We set this up back when I was still on the job and it continues to this day.

Of course in the Chicago areas, LEOSA can be an iffy issue completely dependent on the SAO's interpretation for that day based on the circumstances of each case. (see political ramifications)

JW

Site Supporter
    My issue is that I was terminated for medical reasons. I have full retirement benefits, but the chief maintains I do not meet the criteria for retirement credentials. While I was going through the fitness for duty medical testing, I asked about retirement. He advised I could retire at any time.

The state mandates that retirement credentials be provided to retired officers. Both the FOP attorney and a retired chief from another nearby city advise that I would have a winnable case, but it would take years and cost significant money to sure the department.

The current chief comes from the D.C. Metropolitan Police. According to the FOP attorney, retired MPD officials frequently abuse officer rights when they land chief jobs in the Maryland suburbs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    My issue is that I was terminated for medical reasons. I have full retirement benefits, but the chief maintains I do not meet the criteria for retirement credentials. While I was going through the fitness for duty medical testing, I asked about retirement. He advised I could retire at any time.

The state mandates that retirement credentials be provided to retired officers. Both the FOP attorney and a retired chief from another nearby city advise that I would have a winnable case, but it would take years and cost significant money to sure the department.

The current chief comes from the D.C. Metropolitan Police. According to the FOP attorney, retired MPD officials frequently abuse officer rights when they land chief jobs in the Maryland suburbs.
    Will they give you a "separated" ID? My department apparently will if you meet the 10 year, separated on good terms requirements.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

One of our special assistants (a Special Agent who acts as a right hand man to the big bosses) claims that our agency head is "actively working" the issue of some sort of LEOSA ID for agents who leave prior to retiring, but still have accrued 10 years of LE time. In a world where everything is going nuts, at times it seems like we might be the only agency not working backwards.

That sucks to hear, @jnc36rcpd. AFAIK, we still issued retired creds to our medically retired agents. That's a rough deal for you.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List