Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a conceal and carry 9mm for a lefty

Site Supporter
    Had Glocks and 1911s for years. For the former, manipulating the controls with my trigger finger was no problem and now ingrained. Locking the slide back is not a problem with my right hand. I slingshot the slide with no problems. With the 1911s, I just installed ambi safeties but used the trigger finger for everything else.

HK P30SK might fit the bill. The dual paddle magazine releases are very nice as are the dual slide releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
    Right now I don't have a Florida conceal and carry permit but I've been thinking about going thru the training and if I do I would want to go through the range portion with a firearm that's more compact than my PPQ.

I was looking at some video's yesterday and was wondering if the Springfield Arms HellCat would meet my needs?
    Maybe, maybe not:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....gfield-Hellcat

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....hlight=Hellcat
    Last edited by RJ; 02-27-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Have you seen the Handgun Hero website?
    Thanks for point me to the HandgunHero site. I put a bunch of handguns mentioned in this thread and the Helcat, the Sig P365 and the Glock 43 are pretty close to the size I'm thinking about. All 3 of them have reversible releases but non of them have a release on the side for a lefty. Most of the video's i looked at though never used the release and were just racking the slide. There's an indoor range that has different guns that you can try out and I'm going to see if they have any of these in stock that I can try out. Interesting that the Hellcat can be purchased with a red dot sight for only $30. Lots of features on this model so I'm leaning in that direction now.

I'm a left hand shooter and a few years ago I purchased a Walter PPQ because this pistol allowed me to swap the clip release from one side to the other and the fact that the slide had releases on both sides as well that benefited me as a lefty. I love my PPQ but it seems a bit large and heavy for a conceal and carry weapon so I'm looking for some recommendations for a 9mm pistol that is smaller, lighter and has a smaller capacity clip then my PPQ but has a reversible clip release and slide release on both sides like my PPQ. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I don't know any particular ambi pistols that are verified GTG. I would though recommend watching a lot of Aaron Cowan's videos on Youtube. His channel is called Sage Dynamics. He's left handed and goes into that from time to time.

That said it is not something that I have to deal with myself but I know several left handed shooters that are way better than the 99% of the rest of us. I think if you talk to them though typically you won't get much sympathy. I'm not saying that to be rude but every time it comes up that I've seen they tell people how to adapt and overcome and then they don't accept excuses for failure.

Tough yes. Effective, yes also. They do have some training techniques for left handers which in my opinion is a better way than trying to adapt the totality of the gun for being left handed. It's sort of like trying to teach someone how to shoot with a red dot on a rifle for the first time. They always want to squint and close one eye. It feels awkward at first but then becomes second nature as you practice.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for point me to the HandgunHero site. I put a bunch of handguns mentioned in this thread and the Helcat, the Sig P365 and the Glock 43 are pretty close to the size I'm thinking about. All 3 of them have reversible releases but non of them have a release on the side for a lefty. Most of the video's i looked at though never used the release and were just racking the slide. There's an indoor range that has different guns that you can try out and I'm going to see if they have any of these in stock that I can try out. Interesting that the Hellcat can be purchased with a red dot sight for only $30. Lots of features on this model so I'm leaning in that direction now.
    Glad to hear the website was useful. Keep reading pistol-forum and you'll find others who have vetted the handguns you are considering.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Definitely give the Beretta APX a close look. I bought a Centurion (15 rounds) and replaced the grip module with a compact one to make it a 13-round gun. It's about midway between a Glock 26 and a Glock 19. The slide release is ambi, and the mag release is easy to swap from one side to the other. I have a holster on order from JMCK. I'm a pretty dedicated Glock shooter, but if I were going to carry another brand of striker pistol, it'd definitely be the APX. For whatever reason, the APX sells for a good bit less than pistols from other top brands. They are the best values on the market right now.

What holster and belt are you using?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I'm a left hand shooter and a few years ago I purchased a Walter PPQ because this pistol allowed me to swap the clip release from one side to the other....
    What's a clip?

I kid, we know what you mean. But seriously, it's a magazine. Not trying to be snarky, but if you are a student of the pistol, using correct terminology is a good place to start.

That said, welcome to the forum. You may want to look at the HK P2000 or P2000SK. Similar to the P30 mentioned above, they're fully ambi.
    Last edited by Mark D; 02-27-2021 at 10:24 PM.

As others have pointed out, neither the P365, G43 (43X/48) or Hellcat have ambi slide releases. If that is a must have for you, I'd look hard at the Gen5 G26 - both for ambi controls and general shootability. Yes, it's quite a bit thicker than the 365 or 43, but it will give you the controls you're looking for.

The P30sk is another great option, fully ambi slide, but good luck finding one, and they're even larger/heavier than the G26. Add to that the fact that the decocking lever is not ambi, and you get into a whole different set of issues.

User Tag List