Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Kalashnikov handgun

I'd hit that

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    I turned it off the second he took it out of the holster, pointed at the dude across the room and dry fired. Im shure its a cool gun....ill read about it myself.
    I saw him point it across the room, but I thought he pointed it at the wall, a couple yards in front of the dude in the hoodie.

But I agree the press conference is rough around the edges. At 3:55, background video shows dude carrying with an empty chamber, and racking slide on the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Oh boy...they brought up the Canadian P320 "Incident"........
    In emphasizing their "mechanical safety" which appeared to be a safety lever being applied by the engineer. In the side profile pics I didn't recognize exactly where it was.

ETA: OK there it is. https://www.rbth.com/science-and-tec...an-plk-handgun
    Last edited by JHC; 02-26-2021 at 04:29 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Kalashnikov PLK handgun just announced. Not that it will be available in the US but always interesting to see what is on the market in other parts of the world. Ambi mag button,safety and slide lock levers. 9X19 as well as 7X21 cartridges. 14+1 capacity. Pretty modern looking design with high grip and beavertail backstrap. I am curious if the 7X21 is a bottleneck cartridge like FK Brno or 357 Sig or is a straightwall design. The presenter states it is +P+ and designed for armor penetration which makes me think it is bottleneck and is 9mm based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By9G8kJxNo8
    I just listened, he actually says "can also use 7N21", which is the standard AP 9x19 ball of Russia's security services.

http://roe.ru/eng/catalog/land-force...rtridges/7n21/

The 7N21 (Cyrillic: 7Н21) 9×19mm overpressure variant features an armor-piercing bullet and generates a peak pressure of 280 MPa (41,000 psi).[36] The 7N21 bullet features a hardened (subcaliber) steel penetrator core, enclosed by a bimetal jacket. The space between the core and jacket is filled with polyethylene, and the tip of the penetrator is exposed at the front of the bullet, to achieve better penetration. The penetration range for body armor is specified at up to 40 m. [80gr @ 1500fps]

The method of construction of the two rounds allows them to be effective against both unarmored and armored targets. If the bullet strikes an unarmored target, it holds together to produce a wide wound channel. If the bullet strikes an armored target, the sleeve is stripped away and the core penetrates alone. The disadvantage of the rounds is that high impact velocities are needed for them to work effectively, so the bullets are relatively light to maximize their muzzle velocity. This means they lose velocity relatively quickly, limiting their effective range.

41kpsi is hot, but comparable to the 42kpsi of 9mm +p+ such as the 127gr SXT as well as boutique 9mm +p+ loads by Underwood. So not especially remarkable that this duty pistol could fire the 7N21. I suspect pressure is actually lower for the 7N21 as 80gr @ 1500fps is not that hot. Underwoods +P (38.5kpsi) 90gr XD load is 1475fps.

Found a still image of the pistol, looks to have a nice low bore axis:

Will this be the next GLOCK Killer? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List