Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Ham Radios (2021)

Waterproof Ham Radios (2021)

I’m looking to get back into ham radio as a preparedness thing. Been a while since I had a radio. When I got into this originally around 2000, the only water proof radio on the market I think was a yeasu 5xr.

Over the years I casually looked at what was new, and saw a 6xr, 7xr, and eventually 8xr available, with varying new features like maybe a GPS module.

But I never pulled the trigger. And now I’m thinking it’s a good idea to get back into it. So here’s my requirements and hopefully some radio experts can help:

1) waterproof to a reasonable level so I think the yaesu Vx series might be all out there

2) programmable by computer, ideally with Mac or Linux. If the radio meets all other requirements then I will install a windows VM

3) no Bluetooth or ability to remove Bluetooth module. I’m paranoid but I have friends who have built Bluetooth “stingrays” and I don’t wish to beacon constantly on my radio to anyone listening, unless I’m actually pressing the PTT button

4) Mars/cap modifiable. I did some searching on Google and it seems like the vx6r might no longer be modifiable by removing solder from the board. And the first dozen pages I found were old fuddy duddies refusing to answer the question and belittling the poster asking. Because that’s who’s in the ham radio world. The 80 year range officers demanding you shoot no faster than 1 round every 2 seconds or they’ll kick you off the range. No, I’m not Mars/cap and no, I don’t plan to tx on the freq except for emergencies, and yes those people will be mad if I tx on them, but it’s legal to own, only illegal to use. I don’t want to handicap myself.

5) ability to transmit on FRS in full 5w power in case of emergencies. I think some radios may block this, since it’s illegal to do this. But for emergencies, I like the idea of having some rugged frs radios to hand out to people and using my main radio with them.

It seems like the 7xr and 8xr have been discontinued, which makes me wonder if I’m buying 15 year old technology with the 6xr. Or if they improved the UI or components in that time.

I know I’m a bad person for wanting emergency options in my radio that are illegal for normal use. I have to live with that every time I look in the mirror. I do have my basic ham tech license.

Any ideas on radio recommendations are appreciated.

Budget? Band? If a monobander for 2m or 440, a Motorola XPR-7550.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I don’t have a specific budget in mind. Maybe $500 or so?

If it’s $600 I wouldn’t be mad. Heck even $1k if it was really worthwhile. $2k I’d even consider if it were really good. Probably $5k+ I’d think is crazy for my use case. Given Yaesu 6xr are around $300 and it’s probably all I need and radio tech changes a lot.

The reason I don’t list a budget is I imagine I can afford any field programmable ham radio that exists. I don’t think there’s anything even over $1k?

I never really looked at commercial units like Motorola because they tend to either be monoband and/or are not field programmable. Also they tend not to accept external battery packs you can stuff AA batteries in, and for a prepper use, I love that the yaesu and icoms have alternate battery packs you can load with AAs and while you can’t output full wattage, it’s better than nothing.

I’d love encryption but I don’t think it’s legal for civilian ham use so I didn’t mention it. I saw a YouTube video of a guy discussing business DMR radios that allow encryption and I’m not opposed to paying the FCC for a business license (depending on cost). But the application I saw demanded a physical business address. So I’m concerned the license may not be valid to use outside of whatever business address I use, like perhaps another state all together.

I am really interested in that encrypted business radio stuff but first want to get a ham radio that can handle the basics, and chat with FRS as needed, and maybe eventually buy a DMR license plus a handful of radios to program together.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    1) waterproof to a reasonable level so I think the yaesu Vx series might be all out there
    How waterproof? I think most HTs are reasonably splash-resistant. I use mine outdoors all the time without issue.

2) programmable by computer, ideally with Mac or Linux. If the radio meets all other requirements then I will install a windows VM
    Don't know about Mac, but there is a version of Chirp for Linux. Chirp supports most radios (at least all of the VHF/UHF ones I own).

3) no Bluetooth or ability to remove Bluetooth module. I’m paranoid but I have friends who have built Bluetooth “stingrays” and I don’t wish to beacon constantly on my radio to anyone listening, unless I’m actually pressing the PTT button
    BT isn't all that common. You'll have to go out of your way to find one with it.

4) Mars/cap modifiable. I did some searching on Google and it seems like the vx6r might no longer be modifiable by removing solder from the board. And the first dozen pages I found were old fuddy duddies refusing to answer the question and belittling the poster asking. Because that’s who’s in the ham radio world. The 80 year range officers demanding you shoot no faster than 1 round every 2 seconds or they’ll kick you off the range. No, I’m not Mars/cap and no, I don’t plan to tx on the freq except for emergencies, and yes those people will be mad if I tx on them, but it’s legal to own, only illegal to use. I don’t want to handicap myself.
    Don't know about the VX-6, but my VX-7 is customizable via software. That said, if you're not mars/cap licensed, why bother? Most people put way too much emphasis on that mod as if it grants them secret powers. I did it once, went "meh", and reversed it.

5) ability to transmit on FRS in full 5w power in case of emergencies. I think some radios may block this, since it’s illegal to do this. But for emergencies, I like the idea of having some rugged frs radios to hand out to people and using my main radio with them.
    No legit radio will do that. The cheap chinese radios do, but that's because they're not locked down to ham frequencies only. BTW, did you know real GMRS radios go up to 45w? Just get a GMRS radio and be done with it.

It seems like the 7xr and 8xr have been discontinued, which makes me wonder if I’m buying 15 year old technology with the 6xr. Or if they improved the UI or components in that time.
    In the purely analog space, nothing much has changed in the last 15 years aside from incorporating APRS, GPS, and BT in some radios. UI actually got worse as more stuff was crammed in.

That said, if you can find an unabused 7 or 8, they should serve you well. My VX-7 is 15 years old and going strong (my Icom IC-V8 is just as old and still works fine, radios are durable).

I know I’m a bad person for wanting emergency options in my radio that are illegal for normal use. I have to live with that every time I look in the mirror. I do have my basic ham tech license.
    It doesn't make you a bad person, but it's kind of a pointless endeavor. It must be a prepper thing to want to transmit on all the frequencies. If you're really worried about emergencies, get a Spot or one of the satellite-based emergency communicators. You're more likely to reach someone with those (as someone who does a lot of backcountry amateur radio work...).

Chris

Site Supporter
    I've looked at various Motorolas lately and I'm coming to the conclusion they're great, durable radios, but were really intended to be used within an ecosystem. Their sensitivity and selectivity isn't so hot, which is fine if you're talking to a trunked system or other users nearby. It could be a problem for someone dozens of miles away from the next radio. I'm going by what I read on paper, actual performance in the field may differ.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I am really interested in that encrypted business radio stuff but first want to get a ham radio that can handle the basics, and chat with FRS as needed, and maybe eventually buy a DMR license plus a handful of radios to program together.
    Forget FRS, just get a Yaesu FT-60 and call it good. It has the best analog receiver of any amateur HT currently available and will output full power on AAs (not all will). It's still in production and will cost about $160 NIB. It's the Glock 19 of amateur radio HTs.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I've looked at various Motorolas lately and I'm coming to the conclusion they're great, durable radios, but were really intended to be used within an ecosystem. Their sensitivity and selectivity isn't so hot, which is fine if you're talking to a trunked system or other users nearby. It could be a problem for someone dozens of miles away from the next radio. I'm going by what I read on paper, actual performance in the field may differ.

Chris
    Sensitivity is balanced, and their selectivity is usually among the best available. Sensitivity is an overrated spec for FM. I’ve been almost solely a Moto user for decades. But, it probably is better as a secondary radio if prepping is the goal.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It doesn't make you a bad person, but it's kind of a pointless endeavor. It must be a prepper thing to want to transmit on all the frequencies. If you're really worried about emergencies, get a Spot or one of the satellite-based emergency communicators. You're more likely to reach someone with those (as someone who does a lot of backcountry amateur radio work...).
    I mostly agree. My Garmin InReach has been far more useful than Ham radios for backcountry use.

However in a purely theoretical scenario, imagine that several individuals are using GMRS to communicate during long range rifle practice. Comms are super important because that's how you know everyone is out of the line of fire, and it's ok to go hot. It's possible for GMRS users to get confused about frequencies and privacy codes (bad idea in general when comms matter), and it could theoretically require a Ham HT transmitting at low power on GMRS to unfuck the situation. Just speculating, of course...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Sensitivity is balanced, and their selectivity is usually among the best available. Sensitivity is an overrated spec for FM. I’ve been almost solely a Moto user for decades. But, it probably is better as a secondary radio if prepping is the goal.
    Quite possibly. I've never used one myself and am only going by the published specs. I've been tempted a few times in the last month or so to buy one just to try out, but I always talk myself out of it. I have a bit of a hard on for seeing how far I can make a contact with an FM HT, so I geek out a bit over the numbers. I eventually want to try and get up to 100 miles from a summit. Others have done over 100 out west, so I know it's doable.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I mostly agree. My Garmin InReach has been far more useful than Ham radios for backcountry use.

However in a purely theoretical scenario, imagine that several individuals are using GMRS to communicate during long range rifle practice. Comms are super important because that's how you know everyone is out of the line of fire, and it's ok to go hot. It's possible for GMRS users to get confused about frequencies and privacy codes (bad idea in general when comms matter), and it could theoretically require a Ham HT transmitting at low power on GMRS to unfuck the situation. Just speculating, of course...
    Is the Ham part of that group or someone who happened upon our plucky long range shooters?

If the former, where is his GMRS radio? If the latter, why is he wondering around a range?

Or were you implying the Ham would relay between the disparate groups?

Chris

User Tag List