Thread: Talk me out of a DPMS .243 or maybe into something else for funsies

Talk me out of a DPMS .243 or maybe into something else for funsies

This would be strictly for grins and range time fun with an extremely slim chance of a hunting a hog or deer.

A friend and I were talking about the 6mm ARC and we thought it could be interesting in a bolt action. Then I realized it might really be considered a .243 for the small frame AR. That led me to looking into replacing a .243 I had a while back that was built on a Mauser 98 action. Looking through some search results I ran across the DPMS.

I know it wouldn’t be my first choice for a “fighting rifle” but I’ve never really heard anyone gush over how great their DPMS is. In fact, I’ve gotten the impression they’re distinctly mediocre but I don’t know if that’s in general or just in comparison to a duty rifle.

If the DPMS is a flaming pile of poo, the other “fun rifle” options I’m thinking about are a .243 of some sort in a KRG Bravo, Marlin or Rossi carbine in .45 Colt or a Tromix .450 Bushmaster upper.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    This would be strictly for grins and range time fun with an extremely slim chance of a hunting a hog or deer.

A friend and I were talking about the 6mm ARC and we thought it could be interesting in a bolt action. Then I realized it might really be considered a .243 for the small frame AR. That led me to looking into replacing a .243 I had a while back that was built on a Mauser 98 action. Looking through some search results I ran across the DPMS.

I know it wouldn’t be my first choice for a “fighting rifle” but I’ve never really heard anyone gush over how great their DPMS is. In fact, I’ve gotten the impression they’re distinctly mediocre but I don’t know if that’s in general or just in comparison to a duty rifle.

If the DPMS is a flaming pile of poo, the other “fun rifle” options I’m thinking about are a .243 of some sort in a KRG Bravo, Marlin or Rossi carbine in .45 Colt or a Tromix .450 Bushmaster upper.
    I think they're like Chevy's. You might get a good one but I wouldn't care to set the odds. I was at the range one day and watched an old Marine shooting a 5.56 he had just purchased. 1 MOA. He was amazed. He said he paid around $650 for it. I don't remember the model but I remember he said it was a DPMS and it was right out of the box. Take this from someone who knows zero about AR's but I watched him shoot it and examined the target. Could have been one in a hundred.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-24-2021 at 08:58 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I was tempted during the early panic days into getting a .243. My personal preference would be a CZ 550 FS bolt gun, but that's true of a lot of other calibers like 6.5 Swede as well.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I was tempted during the early panic days into getting a .243. My personal preference would be a CZ 550 FS bolt gun, but that's true of a lot of other calibers like 6.5 Swede as well.
    Bolt guns are more accurate. I shoot with a guy who has a DD AR. I think he said he paid about 2K for it. Has $800 Leupold glass on it also. He hasn't shot 1 MOA yet but he doesn't reload and buys cheap ammo. My bolt Howa 1500 HB does 1 MOA easily and the military never trained me.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I picked up some miscellaneous DPMS hardware from Midway USA when it was on sale, just to have for the spares box. The first time I tried to use some of it, I realized that all the pieces I had of that part from DPMS were so crappy they couldn't actually work. They might fool someone into thinking they would work, but they wouldn't actually work.

I'm not sad that that company is gone.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    You'll get a lot more for your dollar with a Tikka bolt action.

Thanks, glad to see my hesitation wasn’t just my paranoia acting up.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List