Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IL Governor Signs "Anti-Police Bill" into Law

Site Supporter
    Yeah there is a huge difference between metro Chicago and the rest of the State of Illinois

The short of it is this bill screws us and many of us are now looking to leave the state and/or get out of LE all together thanks to this passing here. I don't work in Chicago but this bill has special connection to the part of the state I work. The media has VASTLY downplayed this bill to show only "good" parts to get people on the support train and even that failed. A huge portion of people who are normally quiet have even opposed this as we basically might as well be a call center job now. Its been a huge kick in the gut to not only have our city not say anything about it but our chief wont either and we are all knowing where we are being left. It should be seen as a huge issue with all but 2 States Attorneys for the whole state speak against it when you'd have a harder time getting that same group to agree on the color of the sky. And it should also be seen as a massive issue when you pass it in the middle of night with no real reading and then immediately have to start working on trailer bills to fix everything it screws up. Problem being none of us know what the trailer bills will actually fix and what they wont. It downright fundamentally changes police work so that we can't do our job. Non arrests for crimes, no bail, major use of force changes, no reviewing body cameras while requiring all departments to have them with zero funding, anonymous reporting of complaints. It just goes on and on and the people who will truly pay will be the good citizens. The nut destroying your store and refusing to leave? Yah we can't do anything about him anymore, here is his ticket for a court day he will never show up at, good luck with him we're leaving now.

edit: Just re-read this and realized its a pretty disjointed rant but I don't have a better way of wording my thoughts on this right now.
    Last edited by cmbarny2; 02-25-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Maybe this is one Illinois governor that hopes to stay out of prison?

4 out of the last 7 did time.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    One word, Chicago.

A lot of this bill is the reflection of misbehavior in the Second City, not all of it by the boys in blue. Whether the drunk police superintendent’s missing traffic stop video, the subway platform shooting or the blue wall of silence myth around another OIS on camera, an entire state’s worth of officers get thrown under the bus.

That is how it goes in Illinois. The good news is two governors in a row haven’t gone to prison. The last felon in chief was pardoned by Trump, so that one is now an asterisk of sorts.

At first glance it may appear that way. But the truth is the people that wrote this bill hate the Police. All Police. The Governor, being the man that he is went along with it because , well, he's another police hating Chicago Democrat who will do anything the Black caucus wants him to do to make sure their constituents vote for him again. It doesn't matter if they are the East St. Louis Police, the Oak Lawn Police or the Police from Bumfuck Illinois, they are the Police and they hate them all. A friend of mine is the Sheriff from a collar county of Chicago. He testified as to the ill effects of that bill and the negative impact it will have on not only the Police but the citizens as as well. They ( the legislative body he was testifying to ) wanted to hear none of what he said. To quote him " I've been pushed, shoved, punched, spat on but I've never been treated with more disrespect than I experienced that day". This whole thing is just another method the Left will use to neuter the Police. And they are not done. Their ultimate goal is the complete removal of the current command staff system and replacing it with civilian control. No more Chiefs, Deputy Chiefs, Commanders etc. Civilian managers is what they want. Civilian managers controlled and appointed by the hood. And unless the voters in City of Chicago and the rest of the State get their heads out of their asses, they will get what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    The short of it is this bill screws us and many of us are now looking to leave the state and/or get out of LE all together thanks to this passing here. I don't work in Chicago but this bill has special connection to the part of the state I work. The media has VASTLY downplayed this bill to show only "good" parts to get people on the support train and even that failed. A huge portion of people who are normally quiet have even opposed this as we basically might as well be a call center job now. Its been a huge kick in the gut to not only have our city not say anything about it but our chief wont either and we are all knowing where we are being left. It should be seen as a huge issue with all but 2 States Attorneys for the whole state speak against it when you'd have a harder time getting that same group to agree on the color of the sky. And it should also be seen as a massive issue when you pass it in the middle of night with no real reading and then immediately have to start working on trailer bills to fix everything it screws up. Problem being none of us know what the trailer bills will actually fix and what they wont. It downright fundamentally changes police work so that we can't do our job. Non arrests for crimes, no bail, major use of force changes, no reviewing body cameras while requiring all departments to have them with zero funding, anonymous reporting of complaints. It just goes on and on and the people who will truly pay will be the good citizens. The nut destroying your store and refusing to leave? Yah we can't do anything about him anymore, here is his ticket for a court day he will never show up at, good luck with him we're leaving now.

edit: Just re-read this and realized its a pretty disjointed rant but I don't have a better way of wording my thoughts on this right now.
    I remember living in NYS when the safe act was passed in the middle of the night. It later needed adjustments because it was so flawed. It took something I love, and screwed it all up. It screwed up firearms, a passion but not my profession. I felt unheard, unrepresented, hurt, and just dishearted beyond belief.

I imagine police work is both a profession and a calling. My heart goes out to you guys. I don't know that there is a solution beyond leaving, and were still left with the decay where it is. And eventually it spreads.

Basically I'm sorry dude. This sucks.

First, this the straightest short summary of the bill I have seen, from a media source in far west, bordering Iowa.
    https://www.wqad.com/article/news/ve...1-d26ede3116cc

As for the feelz, the present Democratic leadership has no love for the police. Shocker.
    This bill became law because of the FBI and an inept electric company cutting a $200m deferred prosecution deal, but that is the sad truth of the Illinois decline. This bill only caps off a year of Mag Mile looting, Jussie Smollet Part II and only God knows what else. The upside is somehow Illinois did not actually have to declare bankruptcy (yet).

Hopefully this disease doesn’t spread.

I'd be fine if as a profession we dumped Tasers and returned to batons & OC
    That's my question. Whatever happened to the beat down with a baton? I know it looks bad on camera but it's effective.

I used to know a Seattle cop who told me that women on the force didn't have enough arm strength to use a baton effectively. He thought it was a bad idea putting women on the force that couldn't use a baton.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Reduced baton usage can be attributed to several factors. A significant factor was the widespread adoption of expandable straight batons to replace more effective straight and side-handle batons. While expandable batons are convenient, many officers, myself included, have little confidence in them.

While baton usage is covered in entry-level and in-service training, the course work is likely not long enough or intensive enough to ensure confidence in the baton. While strength is certainly an element of baton usage, technique is likely more important. If the officer isn't confident with the baton, it is much less likely to be deployed and deployed effectively.

Related to length and intensity of training is the increased restrictions on the baton by trainers, including those employed by baton manufacturers (yes, I'm looking at you, Monadnock). I carried a Monadnock PR-24 baton for years. While spins of the PR-24 can be impressive, jabs, thrusts, and chops are probably the most useful. For better or worse, more and more of the suspect's body became "red zones" only authorized for strikes when deadly force was appropriate. More of the body became "yellow zones" which also required a fair level of risk. In most cases, training allowed strikes to "green zones" only, primarily limbs and definitely not bones which might fracture. So I should carry or use a baton why?

The deployment of the Taser and OC spray was also impactful in reducing usage of baton and training in its usage. While we can debate how effective these tools are, they do work the majority of the time and on the majority of the people. If we can slime someone or zap them, causing pretty much no injury, why use a baton? These tools, useful as they are, tended to result in batons being less relevant.

With the development of extremely bright, smaller flashlights, many agencies and officers abandoned the full-size flashlight as an impact weapon. For many years, the full-size Maglite was an authorized weapon for my department and county agencies. Training was provided by the academy on use of the light in striking techniques (with the same caveats as with ASP's). As these lights went away due to technology and nervous chiefs, their use as impact weapons went away.

The arrest of fleeing DWI suspect Rodney King illustrates these issues. After neck restraints were largely eliminated by order of the city council, LAPD's response to active resistance was deployment of the PR-24. Unfortunately, LAPD had reduced by half Monadnock's recommended two day course, eliminating the arm restraints and takedowns that were an important component of PR-24 training.

After failure of an old-style Tasertron Taser, officers deployed their batons in accordance with LAPD training and policy. If you watch the entire video of the infamous arrest, King is only struck when he is actually resisting. The video, however, shows what appears to be a frenzy of baton strikes. Sadly enough, a rookie officer delivered several very effective strikes before his FTO moved into action. The FTO delivered multiple glancing or otherwise ineffectual strikes resulting in the apparent beating, the prosecutions, the riots, and the continuing downstream effects. I will remark for your friend in Seattle that all the officers using batons were male.

User Tag List