Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic restoration for dad

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Due to his condition, is it possible to buy one in better shape? I know that's not the answer you were looking for but since it's his happiness that's important to you, maybe a white lie restoration job would do the trick.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+1152&_sacat=0
    I considered this option early and likely will consider it again when my restoration efforts fail Thank you for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    I considered this option early and likely will consider it again when my restoration efforts fail Thank you for the kind words.
    Should that occur, I have a couple of WWII vintage, (made for the military), cattle knives that would fit the bill. I'm confident you'll do just fine with your maintenance on the knife, but if disaster should strike...

...I'm willing to do what I can.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

A question for the knowledgeable here: have any of you ever tried soaking a knife in diluted brown vinegar? I use it on rusty hand tools all the time to dissolve the rust. It works very well but I can take the handles so that only the metal is in the vinegar. That knife would have to wear the scales in the bath. Just wondering if anyone has tried it. Thanks.

Name:  20210224_164242.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  73.4 KB

After verifying the knife isn't inherently valuable as an antique I went to work One cycle through an ultrasonic (thin Simple Green mix) and now I'm attacking it with Bon-Ami and a toothbrush. The ultrasonic did surprisingly little.

"An idiot and his knife" continues.

I have some mineral oil on order from my Amazon Prime trial which is paying off more than I expected. In the meantime, being very gentle with a toothbrush does not work with the following:

Simple Green, concentrated or in an ultrasonic cleaner
    Slip 2000 725 - Possible minor progress on main blade
    Crest toothpaste, whitening - Definite improvement in minty-ness, but not cleanliness.
    Store brand concentrated dish detergent - Foamy but not knife cleany.

Site Supporter
    Name:  9B701B5D-AC91-4564-9FA0-F8E2B9D89341.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  31.7 KB

The pictured Case pocketknife is a CV (carbon steel) slim trapper that is one of a formerly identical pair. I bought one, and liked it so much I got a twin soon thereafter.

I had it in an outside pocket of my hunting pack one deer season, and there was a pretty good storm one day - up on the mountain, sleet, hail, rain, spitting snow at various times through the day. I didn’t see deer, but me and all my gear got pretty wet. My rifle got carefully cleaned, dried, and oiled immediately when I got home, but I forgot about this knife until a few days later when I was cleaning out my pack at the end of the season, and it was a mess. Red rust. You can see the pits.

As described earlier, I soaked it in mineral oil for about 24 hours, and then Flitzed the rust off. The blackened area isn’t hurting a thing, so I didn’t bother with polishing it away, and never will. That knife is now a story. There is a lighter patina from use on the rest of the blade. I just pulled it out of the pocketknife drawer this morning so I could take this picture, and remembered again how much I like it, so it’s probably going to be my general use knife again for a while.

Site Supporter
    Name:  5B76764B-DD0D-4555-BADD-2A6A7A466D09.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  55.8 KB

More digging about in the pocketknife drawer.

This is a Camillus scout knife. It’s been used to the point that the bevels on the cutting blade had to be re-ground. The carbon steel has a nice patina. The scales are imitation bone. IIRC, older Kabars had real bone or stag, and would probably be worth a bit more than this Camillus.

If someone wants a knife of this style but wants permanently shiny blades, they should probably get something like this:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  53.7 KB

That SAK has been all over the world - deployments, training exercises, vacations, etc. Its gone swimming in the Pacific Ocean, the Persian Gulf, and snorkeling in the Gulf of Mexico. It’s opened more packages and cut up more fruit than I can count. I bought it when I got to AIT after being without any kind of knife at Basic. Cost me like $12 at the PX.

If your dad feels about his old Kabar like I do this old SAK, that’s a special knife in his heart.

I've worked a little more on this guy recently. Using gentle abrasives and a toothbrush, followed by a 24-hour mineral oil bath, it's approaching the look I want. I haven't thoroughly removed the mineral oil so it's not as shiny as it appears here:

Name:  Kabar1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  97.3 KB
    Name:  Kabar2.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  89.3 KB

I'd like to lighten the remaining stains while leaving them identifiable, and add a bit of shine. Would a thorough Dawn wash, forced air dry, and light application of Flitz still be recommended?

The joints are still difficult but no longer "crunchy". Would, say, Slip 2000 EWL work here once I'm done?

Ongoing thanks!

Cleaned, dried, and generously lubed with Slip 2000 EWL. I've been carrying this guy around, using it whenever possible. The joints are (re-)wearing nicely and becoming smoother by the day. I'm using it more often than expected but the main blade desperately needs sharpening.

Can PF recommend a budget, simple sharpening kit for the main blade and optionally the can opener and punch?

If the main blade needs a lot of sharpening, it may take a while on the Spyderco Sharpmaker, which is simple and convenient, but not the fastest for dull blades.

I would recommend this kit.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List