Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Basic restoration for dad

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If the main blade needs a lot of sharpening, it may take a while on the Spyderco Sharpmaker, which is simple and convenient, but not the fastest for dull blades.
    Here's the best I could do with my phone camera

Name:  BT.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  41.1 KB

I'm no expert but I'm guessing we're looking at "stone shiv" levels of sharpness? In the end it doesn't need to be hair-splitting sharp, but "impressing your neighbors with rapid Amazon package opening speed" sharp

As always, thank you for the advice.

I think you'll find the DMT kit will work well for that and any of your other small to medium sized knives. I've never tried it with large knives.

The polymer clamp and angle guide is kind to the finish and there are various angle settings that you can use. (Choose whatever is closest to the bevel unless you want to fully reprofile.)

You can use the magic marker trick to see where the hone takes off the marker so you have an idea if you need to go up or down in angle setting.

The Diafolds it comes with are handy for freehand sharpening as well, or taking along in a pack for outings. Truly a versatile setup at reasonable cost, imho.

The diamonds make sharpening much more efficient. Let them do the work. Don't bear down hard. It shortens the life of the hone and is unnecessary in any case.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I've never tried it with large knives.
    I like them for large knives. I hold the knife out straight and bend my hand over keeping my wrist loose holding the sharpener lightly between my thumb and two forefingers and start wiggling my hand until the sharpener starts to slide back and forth along the desired edge. With a little practice you can keep a surprisingly steady angle and the weight of the sharpener is all that's needed unless there is serious reprofiling to be done.

It works well enough that I'm starting to forget how to use a traditional stone.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I like them for large knives. I hold the knife out straight and bend my hand over keeping my wrist loose holding the sharpener lightly between my thumb and two forefingers and start wiggling my hand until the sharpener starts to slide back and forth along the desired edge. With a little practice you can keep a surprisingly steady angle and the weight of the sharpener is all that's needed unless there is serious reprofiling to be done.

It works well enough that I'm starting to forget how to use a traditional stone.
    I've sharpened my longer knives with various bench stones and / or the DMTs, but I've not used the clamp and guides from the DMT kit for my longer knives, if that wasn't clear from my earlier post. Just never felt a need to.

If the main blade needs a lot of sharpening, it may take a while on the Spyderco Sharpmaker, which is simple and convenient, but not the fastest for dull blades.

I would recommend this kit.

This was a good recommendation. The DMT system was awkward at first but soon I could move faster while keeping a consistent enough angle. The edge was basically a butter knife so I worked my way from coarse through fine and now it cuts paper surprisingly well.

I can see it working for longer blades in two or 3 rounds, moving the clamp as you go.

Great. Glad it worked out.

User Tag List