Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic restoration for dad

Basic restoration for dad

My mother recently gave me this Kabar pocket knife (model 1152):

Name:  kabar1.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  35.2 KB

My dad has Alzheimer's and believes this was his father's knife but the math doesn't add up. I know it's not particularly valuable. Nevertheless it held some significance and I'd like to clean it up and show it to him clean, shiny and oiled. The sides appear riveted in place. I'd appreciate any tips on how to disassemble, clean, and oil it.

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I'd be tempted to use an ultrasonic cleaner for a few hours and letting it sit in a dehydrator over night, to get the built in gunk out.

Site Supporter
    If it is riveted together, disassembly is strongly discouraged. Getting it back together might not be possible or feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Generally, you don’t disassemble those, so long as the blades are tight in the joints and the springs are functioning correctly. Even if the joints feel crunchy and tight, cleaning and lube usually correct that.

Soak it in some food grade mineral oil. Like, for a day or so. Use toothpicks, ear swabs, business cards, etc to clean out the blade channel. Absent pitting, the patina on those carbon steel blades doesn’t need removing, but if you really want to, just use a very mild metal polish like Flitz. No power tools, no abrasives.

Due to his condition, is it possible to buy one in better shape? I know that's not the answer you were looking for but since it's his happiness that's important to you, maybe a white lie restoration job would do the trick.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+1152&_sacat=0

@Duelist and @BillSWPA gave you the recommended advice. Don't use anything more abrasive than a toothbrush. That knife earned its marks and scars.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Generally, you don’t disassemble those, so long as the blades are tight in the joints and the springs are functioning correctly. Even if the joints feel crunchy and tight, cleaning and lube usually correct that.

Soak it in some food grade mineral oil. Like, for a day or so. Use toothpicks, ear swabs, business cards, etc to clean out the blade channel. Absent pitting, the patina on those carbon steel blades doesn’t need removing, but if you really want to, just use a very mild metal polish like Flitz. No power tools, no abrasives.
    "Crunchy and tight" in the joints is accurate. I will do as you say.

When you're done with the ministrations, you can give the knife a gentle washing with Dawn dishwashing liquid, then shake out, towel dry, even use a blower (cool) to remove excess / remaining moisture.

(This comes from a well known cutler on bladeforums who specializes in traditional slip joint knives. You can also use WD-40 to help with the moisture removal if need be.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Blessings for you and your father.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    When you're done with the ministrations, you can give the knife a gentle washing with Dawn dishwashing liquid, then shake out, towel dry, even use a blower (cool) to remove excess / remaining moisture.

(This comes from a well known cutler on bladeforums who specializes in traditional slip joint knives. You can also use WD-40 to help with the moisture removal if need be.)
    Food dehydrator / brass dryer if you have one will do a very, very good job of moisture removal without introducing WD40 that can varnish over time.

User Tag List