Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel/slide length in relation to recoil characteristics

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think we get it at this point...you don't like it. Got it. Do you have anything substantive to add to the conversation beyond that?

The grip shape of a Glock 19 and 17 are different enough that they should be be considered two different pistols when deciding which one fits best for an individual.

But everyone has always defaulted to the G19 because the G17 was simply too hard to conceal, and reasons.

Then Glock comes out with a G19 with a 17 grip and now everyone all of a sudden loves the bigger grip. All of a sudden it’s not hard to conceal anymore. Even though it’s about zero percent easier to conceal than a 17, and most guys around here carry a 19 in a 17 length holster anyway.

Maybe, just maybe, we just found out that full size men have been cramping their hands up on compact pistols for the past 20 years and they’ll shoot a little better with meat on the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    You might be interested in trying out Shadow Systems version of a Glock 19 (MR920).

It comes with different backstraps with differing amounts of grip bump at the bottom to change pointing angle.
    It seems like a good option. Though my preference is for a different 19, a 19-eleven.

But I too came to the conclusion of @M2CattleCo that for most people with normal sized hands the Glock 19 is simply too small/has the hump in the wrong place where the G17 does not. This makes a logical sense, since the G17 was ground-up made for normal sized human male hands. And the G19 was made by scaling the G17 down.

I also think the G45/G19X is silly, but I think all the 'X' models are silly. I have strong opinions about what is more difficult to conceal and it isn't slide/barrel length, it's grip length and bulk. So the G45 trends the wrong direction to me. And the G17 chopped to G19 length with the 'tail' left actually provides a more rounded profile at the base of the grip where it is most likely to print. I've seen a lot of printed Glock mag base-plates over the years.

Bearing this in mind if we look the first Glocks built for actual concealed carry, the G26/G27 actually have very short/flat base plates and a little 'tail' to help smooth over the transition between baseplate and butt. Thus, I'm left to conclude that Glock engineers came to the same conclusion I did.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Question for those convinced that short slides are “better” in terms of pure shooting performance — why aren’t most competitive USPSA shooters, who obsess over tiny increments, not using short slide pistols in Carry Optics?
    Exactly! If it (short slides) worked better it would be popular and later tossed if it did not help scores.

The crucible of competition breeds success in tools and technique.

We can feel all we want. Feels don't necessarily win.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Then I thought about it and about G18 cycling at about 0.05 sec, and decided that there was no way that 4 vs 4.5 slide cycling difference was a rate limiting factor in gun's readiness and return. I also remembered how everyone in gaming world have been lightening their slides while keeping frames heavy, and then Shane Coley won Limited Nats with weights bolted everywhere on his Glock, including the slide. Which was the longest slide and heaviest slide that Glock made for .40, G24.
    Bingo! This is important. This phenomenon is largely a matter of the individual shooter's "timing" being in sync with a particular gun or not. Here are a few details about timing characteristics with a pistol. To work on timing and getting used to a particular platform or configuration of a gun (remember, most modifications can affect YOUR timing!), I'd recommend trying these timing drills. At the end of the day, semi autos cycle faster than any of us mere mortals can react to and follow through with. The onus is on us to get used to the right muscle tension and firing of those fast twitch muscle fibers in sync with the cycling characteristics of the gun.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Perhaps some of the popularity of the G45 might have something to do with how short they tend to chop off the grip frame and how much pistol and magazine they leave under the useable part of the back of the grip. This is one reason I always was interested in chopping off a G17.

Name:  Chop.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  21.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Perhaps some of the popularity of the G45 might have something to do with how short they tend to chop off the grip frame and how much pistol and magazine they leave under the useable part of the back of the grip. This is one reason I always was interested in chopping off a G17.

Name:  Chop.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  21.8 KB
    This is probably my least favorite thing about glocks, at least for my context as a concealed pistol. That magazine printing is the number one thing driving me to switch to a different pistol.

I get that it can be fixed through modification, but it would be really nice if it just wasn’t an issue from the factory.

I can't tell.

They feel the same with the same ammo.

YMMV

Here is a page from my log from time when I was mostly dedicated to the Glocks and this was a day I got my blaze on comparing 3 guns on 7 yard F2S on USPSA targets. The checkmarks indicate three alphas on the run. The "M" denotes a Mike, a miss. Every case over transitioning at speed and shooting over the head. I think slop in notes only recorded the "down" hits on a couple.

Guns compared were a RTF2 G17, a 19X, and a 43X-configuration (my 48 frame with 43 upper).

This is just one relatively short range drill compared on one day when I was feeling sporty, pushing speed (for me) and shooting the slimline gun A LOT. I've since found I cannot layoff the 43X and expect to not degrade noticeably.

Draw your own conclusions. Darned if I could come up with solid ones. I like them all.

Attachment 68117
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Barrel/slide length in relation to recoil characteristics

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Bingo! This is important. This phenomenon is largely a matter of the individual shooter's "timing" being in sync with a particular gun or not. Here are a few details about timing characteristics with a pistol. To work on timing and getting used to a particular platform or configuration of a gun (remember, most modifications can affect YOUR timing!), I'd recommend trying these timing drills. At the end of the day, semi autos cycle faster than any of us mere mortals can react to and follow through with. The onus is on us to get used to the right muscle tension and firing of those fast twitch muscle fibers in sync with the cycling characteristics of the gun.
    I’m not sure Matt Burkett’s take on this is representative of the “state of the field” in practical shooting. I used to think precise “timing” of the gun was a thing. I don’t find that idea useful anymore.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-26-2021 at 05:06 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m not sure Matt Burkett’s take on this is representative of the “state of the field” in practical shooting. I used to think precise “timing” of the gun was a thing. I don’t find it that idea useful anymore.
    Do you subscribe to Hwansik's deal on three different visual confirmation types?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List