Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel/slide length in relation to recoil characteristics

Site Supporter
    In terms of a 92 and a 92C... and a P226 and a P225... I feel like the bigger ones shoot softer. Subjectively speaking. In terms of muzzle rise, I dunno—I didn’t perceive a big difference. Though I wasn’t shooting for speed.

The less mass/less rise principle makes sense. Though maybe more of that energy ends up in your hand, vs. cantilevering upwards.

Barrel/slide length in relation to recoil characteristics

I agree with @GJM, @Leroy, and others. Longer slides don’t alway feel better but they shoot better in my hands. ‘How well a gun shoots’ is subjective unless measured quantitatively. My P-07s feel awesome, but in every drill, I shoot a longer, heavier gun better. That was true when I shot Sigs, and Glocks.

However, what is the main difference? Is it muzzle flip? Maybe, but how much the muzzle flips isn’t that important, as long as it returns consistently. Slide cycling speed? Nope. Slightly faster splits aren’t that helpful.

For me, the most important thing that makes a longer slide better is sight radius.

2nd place is weight, which helps reduce the recoil impulse.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Grip frame and perceived recoil

Following this thread. Just wondering if the size of the grip frame makes a difference. The frame width single stack magazine vs double stack to distribute recoil impulse. Also length of grip frame say a Glock 26 vs Glock 17 to secure the pistol in your hand.

Years ago I wanted a Sig P245 which was a smaller version of the P220 at that time. Shorter slide and grip. Barrel 3.9" and 6+1 capacity. No matter how hard I tried, everytime I shot the 245, I had to reposition my hand on the grip. So it had a shorter slide but my issue was with the grip and anchoring the pistol in my hand....and this influenced my opinion of recoil this pistol had.

At one time I had a HK USP45 Elite. It had a 6" barrel. Very accurate shooter from the bench, but was somewhat bulky due to size, not weight. The weight difference between my standard USP45 was not a game changer. So my opinion of this pistol was an accurate shooter, but the barrel length made it cumbersome.

I carry my HK P2000 DA/SA. 3.66" barrel and 13+1 9mm capacity. This pistol works for me, but not for everyone. I like the ability to put every finger on the grip and a barrel length that for me is ideal....for me.

I guess this rambling concludes with shoot the pistol before you buy if you can. We all have bought a "got to have" handgun, only to be disappointed with it. And there are many dynamics going on with recoil that influence shootability. Ammo for example.

Question for those convinced that short slides are “better” in terms of pure shooting performance — why aren’t most competitive USPSA shooters, who obsess over tiny increments, not using short slide pistols in Carry Optics?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Question for those convinced that short slides are “better” in terms of pure shooting performance — why aren’t most competitive USPSA shooters, who obsess over tiny increments, not using short slide pistols in Carry Optics?
    CZ Shadow's with milling work, and G34's rule it out where I am in Ohio. G17's if not G34.

I don't know but considering they generally shoots reloads, adjust rsa weights and otherwise tune their guns to shoot and recover faster... Those modifications may outweigh any benefit we are seeing with carry/45-19x configuration. I have been told that a G19 is used extensively in US military special operations with the only complaint being pinching their gloves during reloads because of the shorter grip. I was told that this was one of the reasons, reasoning, behind the 19X configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    I don't know but considering they generally shoots reloads, adjust rsa weights and otherwise tune their guns to shoot and recover faster... Those modifications may outweigh any benefit we are seeing with carry/45-19x configuration. I have been told that a G19 is used extensively in US military special operations with the only complaint being pinching their gloves during reloads because of the shorter grip. I was told that this was one of the reasons, reasoning, behind the 19X configuration.
    Excellent point on match loads and tuning of competition pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I always perceived a 19 length slide tracked flatter than a 17 or 34 length slide with a dot, but my match placement was consistently better with a 34 length slide. My 4.25 2.0 CORE also feels flatter than my 5 inch CORE pistols, but my time on arrays is better with the five inch slide. Other competitors also gravitate towards longer slide lengths in CO.

A shorter slide may be easier to carry, but in competition what folks care about is minutia of score. (Perhaps C Class for Life might weigh in on his experiences with the 26 versus longer pistols.) My takeaway is that feel can be misleading.
    CCforL is @Glock26 here.

Interesting thread. I once cut a 19.2 to into a 26L and felt the recoil & muzzle lift were much more pronounced than with a standard 26. I know you’re quite fond of your 26.5L, do you think the dual recoil spring helps counter that?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Each time I dissect it and with limited exception, G45/19X/43X show quantifiably better results in times and dispersion than their larger counterparts. There's also a trend that G45s are replacing G17s.
    This is my department's experience. When we acquired Gen 4 guns in 2010 officers were allowed the choice between G19 and G17. More officers chose the G17. This go 'round the G45 was added to the list of approved guns. Even with the G19/17/45 all being available, more chose the G45. There is just something "right" about the G45's weight distribution and/or slide length:grip length ration that hits a sweet spot.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    I really wish that recoil springs and power factor could buy me even 1% improvement. Hell, I'd take 0.5%. But springs make no difference for me, and I've settled on #13 springs in my S2s and don't bother changing them for maybe 10-15k.

My match ammo has a similar recoil impulse to HST 147. I do notice a difference in noise with factory ammo, but in a heavy metal gun that's about it. In a light polymer gun, I can definitely feel the difference +p makes, and that's one reason I don't use it.

EDIT: Here's what I suggest to test these variables. Shoot the Measurement Drill and compare how much the gun rises. Then shoot doubles and see if that makes any difference. It didn't for me.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List