Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a Roll Pin Stop Moving

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    This will be very secure. Might be difficult to remove.

https://smile.amazon.com/Loctite-374.../dp/B0002KKTIG
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I might degrease it and then try blue loctite.
    Or a thin coating of the E6000.

Or using a small nail and flaring the mouth of the roll pin a little.
    -------------------
    I was under the impression that roll pins were spring tempered. Can the ends be flared successfully ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    -------------------
    I was under the impression that roll pins were spring tempered. Can the ends be flared successfully ?
    I'll find out if I can find something small enough to fit in that hole.

How about grinding a very tapered cone point on the end of a center punch or nailset ?

Remove the roll pin and peen one end of it. Slightly tap it with a hammer until its slightly out of round. Anvil side of vise for surface and a small ball peen hammer. Might want to tape the other side down on the vise so you won’t have to play “find the small roll pin.” Reinstall unpeened end first.

-------------------
    How about grinding a very tapered cone point on the end of a center punch or nailset ?
    I have a set of punches with rounded tips. One time I used a punch that was a little too small to install a little stubborn roll pin and it flared the end. That’s the context of where I came up with idea from a slightly different application.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Remove the roll pin and peen one end of it. Slightly tap it with a hammer until its slightly out of round. Anvil side of vise for surface and a small ball peen hammer. Might want to tape the other side down on the vise so you won’t have to play “find the small roll pin.” Reinstall unpeened end first.
    I like this idea a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I've had pretty good luck with these folks. For the price of a couple from fastenal, if they sell independently, you can grab a bunch.
    Yes, I have scored some stuff from various Amazon options. Shipping in the thing with Fastenal, but not sure if they might send it to a store as part of normal shipments without, or with a minimal charge.

But they sure got some obscure stuff, I coincidently found out they would sell individual items (the stores just sell boxes) when I butchered up drilling the FO front sight on my Super Blackhawk and I needed a little stainless roll pin, and maybe the next larger size in order to drill it out bigger to fix my screwup. And I got a hand full of each.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I would just flare it on both ends.
    Oh yeah, I have flared plenty of them, just never intentionally...

Tension pins can be “refreshed” by driving a mandrel down through the center of the pin to get it back to the original dimensions. For hard-to-find custom pins this can be done a few times with good effect, if you do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'm going to email S&W to see if they'll hook me up with a pin.
    They should. If they don't the pin diameter should be .055" if you want to use a solid pin (like they did before changing to roll pins).

User Tag List